Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There's such a large variety of medical schools to choose and I don't know which would be the best for me personally.
    I'm currently doing AS, I did quite well on my GCSE's the majority were A*s with two As but I come from a Asian background and even though my parents are muslim I'm not the slightest bit religious so places like Cambridge or Oxford are really daunting, I don't know if I'd ever fit in.
    I was wondering, if you're a med student what school do you go to? And do you like it there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharmiin1226)
    There's such a large variety of medical schools to choose and I don't know which would be the best for me personally.
    I'm currently doing AS, I did quite well on my GCSE's the majority were A*s with two As but I come from a Asian background and even though my parents are muslim I'm not the slightest bit religious so places like Cambridge or Oxford are really daunting, I don't know if I'd ever fit in.
    I was wondering, if you're a med student what school do you go to? And do you like it there?
    Are you sure you want to do medicine. I know that your parents are pushing for it, but it isn't all what you expect. 9 years of gruelling school and then if you want to do surgery another 9 years. And then there is the reduced pay in the coming years and the 80 hour weeks

ReputationRep:
    Are you trying to aim for Russell group universities? My friend is a medical student and he goes to Imperial College and says it's a good university, but that's his opinion.
    Try going to open days to see different university and how you like it there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely looking to get into a Russell group university I'm just not sure which, thats my main problem. Also while my parents do want me to become a doctor its always been a goal of my own. I've visited hospitals in a third world country and honeslty if I can get through that I can pretty much handle anything here lmao
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely looking to get into a Russell group university I'm just not sure which, thats my main problem. Also while my parents do want me to become a doctor its always been a goal of my own. I've visited hospitals in a third world country and honeslty if I can get through that I can pretty much handle anything here lmao
    Russell group means jack **** in Medicine. You need to apply to your strengths (i.e. where you stand the best chance of getting an interview). A medical degree is a medical degree.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

ReputationRep:
    Look at where your strengths lie. If your GCSEs are super. Like almost all A*s then consider some of the more GCSE heavy unis such as Birmingham and Cardiff. If not avoid both. I personally waited till I'd say the ukcat to fully decide. If your ukcat is really high then consider ukcat heavy unis like Manchester, Durham, Newcastle, queen Mary's and kings. If not avoid them. Also wait till you get your predicted grades. Unis like Exeter have a minimum of A*AA and give preference to those predicted higher.
    Also decide whether or not to take the BMAT as well as this will rule out or open up some unis. The ukcat will also help you with this decision. So wait to see how that goes first.
    For now just look at unis you like go to a few open days but you don't have to go to many as it's a lot of effort especially since some are very far away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't be scared of Oxbridge just because you're brown; that's ridiculous.

In any case, medics are a diverse group. You've not got anything to fear on that front, at least not to the extent that it should stop you from applying to a medical school which you like.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it really matters (prestige wise)

look at whether you want to do Traditional or PBS
    look at fees if that's important to you
    consider location "
    consider the teaching style
    look at whether the uni focuses more on patient contact or research

stuff like that I think try and consider what would be best for you, do your research, and apply accordingly

Good luck !

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

Consider which course you like - medicine is about the most varied course out there. PBL vs lecture based, early clinical contact vs preclinical divide, etc
    Consider where you would actually get in. Don't apply to places with tough GCSE requirements if you don't have great GCSEs, don't apply to UKCAT schools if your UKCAT is terrible
    Consider the city you want to live in and other university factors.

Also consider whether medicine is what you really want to do. The fact that one of the first things you mention is your parents isn't generally a good sign!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.