Private company doubles cost of NHS hospital TV service Watch

Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Sick patients recovering in NHS hospitals have to pay a minimum of £5 to watch 'free to air' TV services.

More than 150 NHS hospitals have allowed US company Hospedia to fit special terminals to bedsides which offer a range of television and internet services.

The company, which made £22.2 million in UK sales last year has increased its minimum charge from £2.50 to £5 for a basic package.

Read More:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ite-shows.html
callum_law
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
And? Would they rather pay £5 for the luxury of watching Freeview or would they rather pay £500 for hospital treatment?

Such regimes earn money for the NHS and ensure the free access to healthcare for everyone in this country.
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by callum_law)
And? Would they rather pay £5 for the luxury of watching Freeview or would they rather pay £500 for hospital treatment?

Such regimes earn money for the NHS and ensure the free access to healthcare for everyone in this country.
This is a good example what will have if they privatize the NHS, you will be priced out of life and left to die.
callum_law
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dumachi)
This is a good example what will have if they privatize the NHS, you will be priced out of life and left to die.
Well, good job the US TV company aren't performing heart by-passes, isn't it? Have to be thankful for small miracles.
Diabolus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sick patients recovering in NHS hospitals have to pay a minimum of £5 to watch 'free to air' TV services.

More than 150 NHS hospitals have allowed US company Hospedia to fit special terminals to bedsides which offer a range of television and internet services.

The company, which made £22.2 million in UK sales last year has increased its minimum charge from £2.50 to £5 for a basic package.

Read More:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ite-shows.html
Lol this is the definition of a non-story.

Also so what if they increased the price? If you dont like it move to North Korea. I hear communism is working out really great for them over there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Diabolus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yknow I am beginning to worry that you no longer know how to even post without resorting to exaggeration.

Seek help mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Diabolus)
Yknow I am beginning to worry that you no longer know how to even post without resorting to exaggeration.

Seek help mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I should seek help, for having a opinion different to yours.
FriendlyPenguin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A privatised NHS wouldn't let itself be ripped off by large corporations

A privatised NHS would try to keep costs for patients down, else they'd go to another hospital, assuming competition
MildredMalone
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Oh noes, you might have to miss TOWIE!!!
VV Cephei A
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So? Unless I've missed something, there were previously no bedside TV services in these hospitals, and now a private company has installed them. Shock horror, you have to pay a (negligible) fee to utilise that service. We aren't living in Cuba OP.
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It should at least be a British company so the money goes into the British GDP, thus reducing debt to GDP and making us a more credit-worthy country

But Dumachi I am still waiting for you to tell us how this is all the fault of immigrants
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by VV Cephei A)
So? Unless I've missed something, there were previously no bedside TV services in these hospitals, and now a private company has installed them. Shock horror, you have to pay a (negligible) fee to utilise that service. We aren't living in Cuba OP.
£10 a day is negligible to you??
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by scrotgrot)
It should at least be a British company so the money goes into the British GDP, thus reducing debt to GDP and making us a more credit-worthy country

But Dumachi I am still waiting for you to tell us how this is all the fault of immigrants
Its all the fault of immigrants
Star Light
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Free TV should not be expected of the NHS, unless you want some of the money currently used to pay healthcare staff or provide operations used on such a non-essential luxury.

The article says that 5 channels can be watched 8am-12pm for free every day, and children's TV is free for 12 hours each day. That in itself is generous and patients are fortunate to have that. If you want to watch TV at home, you pay for it - why shouldn't the same apply in a hospital? (I know the charges are not the same, but extra work is done to provide and maintain so many screens in a hospital environment with the other features).

"Karl Teloar, 62, was admitted into the Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford, Essex. He told the Sunday Mirror that he paid £10 for a television service even though he only watched the service for three hours. He said: 'By the time I started watching again the 24-hour period had run out. This is preying on the sick. I think it's disgraceful."

Preying on the sick? Nobody requires TV to get better or survive, for that you need food, water, and decent care, and whatever treatment/surgery you're in for... which are all provided free at point of use for anybody. A man buys a 24-hour period TV pass, and it expires, and he finds he can no longer use the TV. How 'disgraceful' indeed...
Ladymusiclover
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Its all the fault of immigrants
Hmm but a lot of the staff including nurses are immigrants.
caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by VV Cephei A)
There used to be a day room attached to most wards where there was a free to use TV for patients to watch. Most ( but by no means all) patients are able to walk to themselves to the end of the ward and it is encouraged. The TVs were often paid for via donations from past patients and their families. They removed them when this company moved in. They only fitted the individual bed TVs on the agreement that the day room ones were removed.
Having been in hospital several times and experienced both systems I can tell you the bed side services are much better, but then I easily have £35 a week to spare for what was previously a free service, many don't.
The problem is as usual where private companies have a monopoly, and can force this kind of price hike.
They have outlay and running costs to recoup before they even begin to make a profit, but a 100% increase is taking the piss.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Some of you are quite harsh. I assume you've been lucky enough to not spend a few nights in hospital where you've not been able to move? And please tell me, why should we pay for TV when we're already paying for it at home?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by scrotgrot)
£10 a day is negligible to you??
Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are your favourite crisps?

Kettle Chips (38)
15.97%
McCoys Salt and Vinegar (17)
7.14%
McCoys Flame Grilled Steak (17)
7.14%
Walkers Prawn Cockail (26)
10.92%
Monster Munch (18)
7.56%