The Student Room Group

How good do you have to be at maths to do well in A Level Computing?

(I know that the title seems like something a total novice would say, and I do apologise... however silly it may sound though, this is something I'm genuinely worried about.)

Right now I am studying Computing in Y10. I've always loved the subject :colondollar: Especially now in the GCSE course!

However, I am not so good at Maths than I am in Computing. At all. Where in Computing I'm predicted an A*, in Maths I'm *supposed* to get an A* too even though my teacher has predicted me to get a B at best. I'm certainly not a 'mathsy' person, nor can I say that I like it. I've tried to convince myself that if I'll love the subject, I'll be good at it. Hahahah. I've kinda come to accept the truth now :frown:

I have heard that when taking Computing for A levels, it'll be handy to take Mathematics too. Knowing I'm definitely NOT going to get an A* in GCSE Maths, there's no point in considering the struggle A level Maths will bring. And Maths is a very sought after degree too, which pairs very well with a Computer Science degree, so that piles on to my worries.

Whilst GCSE Computing is easy for me, I want to study it at college but I'm really worried about the amount of skill at math I'll need. I can learn binary and its principles fine, and I believe that I'll understand things like lambda - all assuming I have a calculator handy to calculate them.

Can you use a calculator if necessary? Are you required to be adept at any mental calculations? How much of the course is 'mathsy'? And will I really need to waste an option doing something I resent just so I can understand low-level Computing?

(Or is there an Maths side-course, that doesn't count as a main one, that can help me out on basic math? I don't mind having a Maths tutor in college, as long as it's free - I simply won't have the money.)

Thanks in advance for the help :smile:
Meee tooo i need know aswell Pm me X

Posted from TSR Mobile
For AQA syllabus at AS there is not a great deal of mathematical content, and the only maths needed is for boolean alegbra (simple and not anything above simple gcse maths) and addition and subtraction of binary (again, this is just a method to learn, not really actual maths).

Module Comp2 may require some other maths too. For example, working out file sizes of bitmap images and audio files with basic maths given the bitrate etc). You are not allowed calculators during comp2, but you really shouldn't need one.

So far through A2 nothing really Mathematically taxing has come up.

edit: I can't speak about other exam boards but i would be shocked if there is a much higher maths content in any of them.
Reply 3
From personal experience, currently in A2 Computing (AQA) As tavtavtav said, there is very little taxing mathematical content, I'm not brilliant at maths, got a B at GCSE and didn't touch A-Level maths, I got a B at AS and a B in my A2 Mock, Being good at maths would probably assist you, but isn't a necessity.
Reply 4
As long as you can add, subtract, divide and multiply, you should be all good.
Thank you everyone for your replies! I see that, from what you guys have said, there isn't much to worry about :smile: Thank you once again for your advice!
Reply 6
Not very to be honest, the majority of the mathematics would be around y7/8 mathematics knowledge, if that. I do OCR computing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending