Turn on thread page Beta

Synopticity in Psychology? (PYA5) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. In the psychopathology question, how can I introduce synopticity? In my practise answers I've made minor points about criticisms of studies but I don't know if that even counts, and it's definitely not enough. Any tips? I've looked at the syllabus etc but it hasn't made it any clearer. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Hi guys. In the psychopathology question, how can I introduce synopticity? In my practise answers I've made minor points about criticisms of studies but I don't know if that even counts, and it's definitely not enough. Any tips? I've looked at the syllabus etc but it hasn't made it any clearer. Thanks!
    Hi again!! Seems we frequent these boards stressing about psychology exams! I cant believe that tomorrow the whole thing will be finished!!

For the issues, debates and approaches questions the synopticity is practically built in - just make sure you refer to examples in psychology. In reading the examiners report (I'm cool you see) I noticed that he/she said that people tend to bulk out questions with studies and don't have enough about the actual issue/debate they are meant to be dealing with. So be weary (warey?) of that.

Have you checked the mark schemes for synopticity on the first question? Which bit are you doing? I'm doing treating mental disorders and I think synopticity can come from talking about methodological problems such as being unable to control all variables. Synopticity can also be vertical (or maybe horizontal as I forget) and you can bring in stuff from your later questions such as about approaches or about debates/issues (if applicable.. I know debates work quite well for my topic..)

I don't think you need to worry too much about synopticity. It is important, but the only question where you really have to consciously add in extra bits is the first one - it does come inevitably with the others.

Hows your revision going? ?!

ReputationRep:
    Oops hehe.. I totally missed out the word psychopathology!! Sorry!

But at least some of what i wrote may have been relevant.!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    We were told to point out things like androcentrism and the socially sensitive nature of things but its kinda difficult. I was just reading something on AQA and they said that the fact you are using biological, psychodynamic and cognative approaches is synoptic because we did them last yr, also psychopathology is in general because that was what we did last yr too.
    I wouldnt stress to much over it, i would think its more important in the issues and debates bit

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.