Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Career Crisis Please Help! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I apologise in advance for writing such a long boring post. I'll start by giving a bit of an academic background of myself. Back in school I achieved 10 GCSE's, 4 A's, 4B's and 2 C's. A's and B's were in the core subjects. I'm ashamed to say that I never really worked hard in school or took my studies seriously. Reflecting back I feel as though if I worked hard I know I could have done a lot better.

I then went onto study A-levels at college. It just seemed the normal thing to do as most people I knew from school were doing the same. I wasn't really aware of any other choices such as apprenticeships or anything else back then. The subjects I chose at A-level were Economics, Chemistry and Biology.
    I can't even really justify why I picked those subjects. But anyway at the end of A2 my grades were disappointing. I achieved B, C D. I simply just didn't put the required effort or worked hard enough. For the same 3 subjects at AS my grades were A B B.

I wasn't accepted to study pharmacy at my chosen university, so I decided to take a year out and re-take my A-levels. I self studied and managed to bump up my chemistry grade from a D to a B after taking the exams externally. I was accepted to university for pharmacy eventually, but I dropped out after a year. I hated the course, again just as with my chosen A-level subjects, my decision to study pharmacy was influenced by friends who were going to study pharmacy.

After dropping out of uni, I was pretty lost in my life and depressed for a while. I spent a lot of time being a "NEET". I just wasted a lot of time.
    I found it very difficult to find any job at first with just some GCSE's and A-levels and a lot of gaps on my C.V. I worked voluntarily at a few places to build some experience and obtain a few references.

Fast forward, I am now 22 and for the last year and a half I've worked in customer service/data entry and admin roles. Mostly been temping through agencies. I got comfortable in a job which I did for the last 10 months or so, working as a temp with no security and crap pay. To be honest if I was offered this job when I was 16 I wouldn't even take it so I'm not sure why I was doing it. Seems like I just accepted whatever and felt sorry for myself.

I have just been laid off and I'm currently unemployed for a week and I've begun to wonder where all the years have gone and I feel as though I've achieved nothing and let myself down. I just feel as though the last 6 years since I've left school have gone so quick and I've not really done anything of true value. Besides the GCSE's and A-levels, I've got a year and half's temping on my C.V.

I want to change my life around, I just feel lost and I'm not sure what to do. The only jobs I feel I have a chance to get are entry level admin/data entry or customer service jobs. None of which I find rewarding or feel as though it's something I could do as a career. I'm really lacking direction and just want some advice really. I've began looking at routes into accounting, and I find the AAT route interesting. I'm not sure if an apprenticeship studying AAT is a viable option for me, or even self-studying for the AAT qualification. I feel as though a qualification like this could help me break into a junior role in accounting. At this moment in time I have no practical experience in any sort of financial role.

If you were in my position what would you do? What are my best options here?

I appreciate any advice.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried to get work experience in accounting before you get going looking for a career in it? Make sure you're doing it for the right reasons? And get in touch with someone who will be able to officially confirm if you are good to go for the AAT.

I did a similar thing. Didn't do my best for GCSEs, dropped out of college and worked a bunch of crappy jobs until I worked out what I wanted to do. I got a year of experience working in job as close as I could get to my thought-of career and then went back into education.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=262

This is the accounting and finance forum. You might find this helpful!

ReputationRep:
    If i was in your position, i would probably consider going back to university, i started at 21, finished at 24, thought it was much too late to be starting university, but it really wasnt3

with that being said, if someone had told me 3/4 years ago where i would be right now with the degree i have, i never would have bothered going to uni, i wouldve entered the work world much earlier and i am confident that in the 3 years i spent at uni, i would be much closer to where i want to be now

im not sure what type of job you say you have had for 10 months since you didnt mention it, but i can tell you that if you have only been unemployed for a WEEK and you already have a year and half of any type of work on your CV, you possibly have more chance of getting re-hired somewhere else much quicker than a uni grad with 0 experience, as alot of people on here have had to find out the hard way

If i were you, i would give my CV a good brushing up, and start handing out your application, make sure that you mention you are either working towards or interested in pursuing the types of qualifications you mentioned, its 'unlikely' you will get a 'good' entry level accounting role without a degree, not because they are necessary to the job, but since there's a huge oversupply of graduates, its easy for almost all employers to ask for a degree as a mandatory minimum, but that doesnt mean that you cant get a placement and your foot in the door somehow, good luck

and whatever you do, try and make sure that employment gap doesnt get too big, time flies when your job searching, and a week can very turn into a month/2 months etc, then you may really have issues

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KungPooPanda)
    If i was in your position, i would probably consider going back to university, i started at 21, finished at 24, thought it was much too late to be starting university, but it really wasnt3

with that being said, if someone had told me 3/4 years ago where i would be right now with the degree i have, i never would have bothered going to uni, i wouldve entered the work world much earlier and i am confident that in the 3 years i spent at uni, i would be much closer to where i want to be now

im not sure what type of job you say you have had for 10 months since you didnt mention it, but i can tell you that if you have only been unemployed for a WEEK and you already have a year and half of any type of work on your CV, you possibly have more chance of getting re-hired somewhere else much quicker than a uni grad with 0 experience, as alot of people on here have had to find out the hard way

If i were you, i would give my CV a good brushing up, and start handing out your application, make sure that you mention you are either working towards or interested in pursuing the types of qualifications you mentioned, its 'unlikely' you will get a 'good' entry level accounting role without a degree, not because they are necessary to the job, but since there's a huge oversupply of graduates, its easy for almost all employers to ask for a degree as a mandatory minimum, but that doesnt mean that you cant get a placement and your foot in the door somehow, good luck

and whatever you do, try and make sure that employment gap doesnt get too big, time flies when your job searching, and a week can very turn into a month/2 months etc, then you may really have issues
    an increasing number of accounting firms are offering school leaver programmes now too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conciliar)
    I apologise in advance for writing such a long boring post. I'll start by giving a bit of an academic background of myself. Back in school I achieved 10 GCSE's, 4 A's, 4B's and 2 C's. A's and B's were in the core subjects. I'm ashamed to say that I never really worked hard in school or took my studies seriously. Reflecting back I feel as though if I worked hard I know I could have done a lot better.

I then went onto study A-levels at college. It just seemed the normal thing to do as most people I knew from school were doing the same. I wasn't really aware of any other choices such as apprenticeships or anything else back then. The subjects I chose at A-level were Economics, Chemistry and Biology.
    I can't even really justify why I picked those subjects. But anyway at the end of A2 my grades were disappointing. I achieved B, C D. I simply just didn't put the required effort or worked hard enough. For the same 3 subjects at AS my grades were A B B.

I wasn't accepted to study pharmacy at my chosen university, so I decided to take a year out and re-take my A-levels. I self studied and managed to bump up my chemistry grade from a D to a B after taking the exams externally. I was accepted to university for pharmacy eventually, but I dropped out after a year. I hated the course, again just as with my chosen A-level subjects, my decision to study pharmacy was influenced by friends who were going to study pharmacy.

After dropping out of uni, I was pretty lost in my life and depressed for a while. I spent a lot of time being a "NEET". I just wasted a lot of time.
    I found it very difficult to find any job at first with just some GCSE's and A-levels and a lot of gaps on my C.V. I worked voluntarily at a few places to build some experience and obtain a few references.

Fast forward, I am now 22 and for the last year and a half I've worked in customer service/data entry and admin roles. Mostly been temping through agencies. I got comfortable in a job which I did for the last 10 months or so, working as a temp with no security and crap pay. To be honest if I was offered this job when I was 16 I wouldn't even take it so I'm not sure why I was doing it. Seems like I just accepted whatever and felt sorry for myself.

I have just been laid off and I'm currently unemployed for a week and I've begun to wonder where all the years have gone and I feel as though I've achieved nothing and let myself down. I just feel as though the last 6 years since I've left school have gone so quick and I've not really done anything of true value. Besides the GCSE's and A-levels, I've got a year and half's temping on my C.V.

I want to change my life around, I just feel lost and I'm not sure what to do. The only jobs I feel I have a chance to get are entry level admin/data entry or customer service jobs. None of which I find rewarding or feel as though it's something I could do as a career. I'm really lacking direction and just want some advice really. I've began looking at routes into accounting, and I find the AAT route interesting. I'm not sure if an apprenticeship studying AAT is a viable option for me, or even self-studying for the AAT qualification. I feel as though a qualification like this could help me break into a junior role in accounting. At this moment in time I have no practical experience in any sort of financial role.

If you were in my position what would you do? What are my best options here?

I appreciate any advice.
    I would second the advice that you get some work experience in an accountancy firm first. If you like it I don't see why you couldn't get onto a school leaver programme/apprenticeship, you don't have a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

I've been sending out a lot of applications since last week for any sort of entry level roles which I think I could be considered for and to my surprise I've already been on 1 interview with a small local company who sell sports gear - for an admin/dealing with customer enquiries role. There's a good chance I'll get offered the job and if that happens I'll definitely take it. Salary is negotiable between 15-20k - I didn't want to bring it up yet until I was sure they are interested in me. I've also been contacted by a few recruitment agencies mostly for temporary roles.

As KungPooPanda mentioned, it's not a good idea to have a big employment gap so I want to find something ASAP and then figure out what I want to do long-term. The mistake I made in my previous job was I just accepted my situation and put no effort into making any changes. I didn't even apply for another job for over a year.

Nearly all my paid employment has been with British Gas in a few roles. The role for the last 10 months or so was pretty boring and mind-numbing to be honest. It was mostly using their systems to diagnose and and process queries/complaints and distribute them. I worked in a team which governed workflow, so part of my role was to liaise with other departments and assess and manage how much work individual people could take on on a daily basis. It wasn't actually doing any "real" work, it was mostly transactional stuff.

At the moment I'm not even thinking about university. Unless I was a 100% sure of the course I would study I don't think I'll be considering it right now

How would I go about sourcing some work experience with an accountancy firm? I really do need to get some experience in any capacity within a finance role if I'm serious about a career path in finance. At least to get a perspective of what it is like and what I'd actually be doing.

With apprenticeships, I recently went to a careers fair and spoke to a representative of a popular apprenticeship training provider who told me straight that 16-18 year old's have a better chance due to being fully funded. While it's not put me off applying, I'm trying to find the right apprenticeship at my age. I guess I don't have the luxury of a 16 year old who could do a few apprenticeships.

again, I can't thank you guys enough for your replies.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

I've been sending out a lot of applications since last week for any sort of entry level roles which I think I could be considered for and to my surprise I've already been on 1 interview with a small local company who sell sports gear - for an admin/dealing with customer enquiries role. There's a good chance I'll get offered the job and if that happens I'll definitely take it. Salary is negotiable between 15-20k - I didn't want to bring it up yet until I was sure they are interested in me. I've also been contacted by a few recruitment agencies mostly for temporary roles.

As KungPooPanda mentioned, it's not a good idea to have a big employment gap so I want to find something ASAP and then figure out what I want to do long-term. The mistake I made in my previous job was I just accepted my situation and put no effort into making any changes. I didn't even apply for another job for over a year.

Nearly all my paid employment has been with British Gas in a few roles. The role for the last 10 months or so was pretty boring and mind-numbing to be honest. It was mostly using their systems to diagnose and and process queries/complaints and distribute them. I worked in a team which governed workflow, so part of my role was to liaise with other departments and assess and manage how much work individual people could take on on a daily basis. It wasn't actually doing any "real" work, it was mostly transactional stuff.

At the moment I'm not even thinking about university. Unless I was a 100% sure of the course I would study I don't think I'll be considering it right now

How would I go about sourcing some work experience with an accountancy firm? I really do need to get some experience in any capacity within a finance role if I'm serious about a career path in finance. At least to get a perspective of what it is like and what I'd actually be doing.

With apprenticeships, I recently went to a careers fair and spoke to a representative of a popular apprenticeship training provider who told me straight that 16-18 year old's have a better chance due to being fully funded. While it's not put me off applying, I'm trying to find the right apprenticeship at my age. I guess I don't have the luxury of a 16 year old who could do a few apprenticeships.

again, I can't thank you guys enough for your replies.
    Find the numbers of some accountancy firms you can get to and call them up- explaining your situation and asking if they would offer any work shadowing/experience. If they say yes ask who to email and send on your CV with a short cover email. Alternatively you could try emailing but that is easier to ignore.

ReputationRep:
    yeh if only i could do it all again, id have gone the apprenticeship route, probably be on 35k by now and have no student debt lol

my brother is starting a chemical engineering apprenticeship at the end of this year, will be 17 years old and on something like £16,000

in all fairness, when i finished secondary school/college about 10 years ago, apprenticeships were not nearly as glamourised as they are now, in-fact, when i was in year 11 and 6th form, apprenticeships were for the people who werent smart enough to go to a good or even the local college lol, and the biggest companies didnt do much to push them, probably because they weren't as well funded.

To be honest, just what you've said here shows you have some sort of work experience that many companies would classify as 'relevant', you've worked in a team and have had to deal with other departments, i mean - you could even go as far as saying you have had some exposure to risk management

maybe you dont see that as real work, but i can think of a bunch of graduates that have done their 3 years at uni, and wish they could put something even as simple as that on their CV, over the degree and 3-4 year gap they have now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.