Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How the new student finance 16/17 affect new students applying with previous study? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there I have done 3 previous years of study and only gained a HNC and am wanting to start a full time degree again now in the 2016/2017 year. This will not be relevant to my HNC qualification so it will be a brand new degree of 3 years. I know that I will be blocked for the first 2 years of study from receiving tuition fees but I've been told that as my tution fees will be blocked for the first 2 years that During those first 2 years will only receive the non income assessed part of the maintenance loan even though my income is very much below 25,000 can you confirm this? They also told me I won't get PLA even though I have 3 children?

Can someone confirm this please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chalex2016)
    Hi there I have done 3 previous years of study and only gained a HNC and am wanting to start a full time degree again now in the 2016/2017 year. This will not be relevant to my HNC qualification so it will be a brand new degree of 3 years. I know that I will be blocked for the first 2 years of study from receiving tuition fees but I've been told that as my tution fees will be blocked for the first 2 years that During those first 2 years will only receive the non income assessed part of the maintenance loan even though my income is very much below 25,000 can you confirm this?
    This is correct. Everyone gets a finite amount of SF funding in their lifetime and you're very near your limit.

The calculation is:

Number of years of your new degree (minus) Previous years of uni-level study (plus) One year = Remaining years of full SF entitlement

An HNC is uni-level study, so the years spent on this study are counted as "Previous study". The calculation therefore gives you 3-3+1=1 year of SF entitlement remaining. You would get that in your third year and would have to fund your first and second years yourself, apart from the minimum non-income assessed Maintenance Loan.

Your income will only be relevant in your third year, when your full entitlement kicks in and you get the income-assessed part of the Maintenance Loan again.

I can't comment specifically on PLA. However as a side issue, it's worth mentioning that in your third year, if you're married or over 24 and living with your partner, then their income will also be taken into account when calculating your SF entitlement.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you for your reply!
    I got the both the income and non income part of the maintenance loan this year on my HNC so is it because of the new rules that I don't get it this year too?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you for your reply!
    I got the both the income and non income part of the maintenance loan this year on my HNC so is it because of the new rules that I don't get it this year too?
    Thanks
    The rule I was talking about above has been in place for many years now and isn't new.

If you start a new course in September, your SF entitlement will be subject to the reassessment and calculation in my post.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but when I spoke to someone at the contact centre I'm not sure if they gave me the correct information, they said that the new changes implemented in 2016/17 mean they when your tution fees are blocked you can only get non income assessed part, but previously this year as I said I got the income and non income assessed part of the loan plus PLA the only thing I didn't get this year was the maintenance grant and the tuition fees so I paid them myself.
    I understand your calculation I'm just trying clarify why iv been told that you no longer get the income assessed maintenance loan if you have previous study. I wanted to establish if this was the wrong information I'd been given if if this was part of the new guidelines since they scrapped the maintenance grants etc.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    they said that the new changes implemented in 2016/17 mean they when your tution fees are blocked you can only get non income assessed part,
    That isn't new - that's always been the case. Don't know why you've been assessed differently for 2015/16.

but previously this year as I said I got the income and non income assessed part of the loan plus PLA the only thing I didn't get this year was the maintenance grant and the tuition fees so I paid them myself.
    I've never seen that situation before. Theoretically if you don't qualify for the Tuition Fee Loan, then you don't get the Maintenance Grant or income-assessed part of the Maintenance Loan either. I can't explain what's going on with your funding for 2015/16.

I understand your calculation I'm just trying clarify why iv been told that you no longer get the income assessed maintenance loan if you have previous study. I wanted to establish if this was the wrong information I'd been given if if this was part of the new guidelines since they scrapped the maintenance grants etc.
    Thanks
    I don't think it's to do with the abolition of the Maintenance Grant - the basic assessment will still be the same. Hopefully someone else will be able to shed some light on what's going on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.