Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Corbyn should prepare for snap election. Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Hmm, could you explain why its so bad?

(I could be wrong but didn't the previous system give undue power to the prime minister to hold it a date of their choosing? Whilst obviously having a fixed term parliament does mean that governments often operate on the short term isnt that essentially a wider critique of democracy?)
    I think it's good. Means a PM can't just choose to call an election when his poll ratings are high.
    Although personally I think five year terms are too long and they should be four years.
    You are right, before the Act the PM could choose one whenever.
    Brown's biggest mistake though was not calling an election in 2007 which he would probably have won fairly comfortably.
    Hindsight is 20/20 though I guess.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Sundays for you. The main reason I found it interesting was the thought that even if the tories win the referendum, Cameron would still quit and there would need to be an election due to forces unleashed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't see it really. Under the Act there are only two circumstances for an early election:
    1.) A vote of no confidence in the government
    2.) 2/3 majority in the house.

For the first, the tories simply are not going to vote no confidence in themselves, why on earth would they, how bad would that look?

For the second they'd need Labour and SNP MPs to vote for an election and why would either? Labour would probably do worse and the SNP have 56/59 seats, it's hardly like they have much to gain.

The only other alternative would be for the tories to repeal the ACT by a simply majority which I can't see them doing, they'd be blocked by the Lords in all likeliness given that the purpose of the act is to prevent exactly a situation like this.

ReputationRep:
    We are actually in recession at the moment so I'd rather the Tories stay in so they get the blame for the Greater than Greater Recession.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=...=on&z=l&q=l&c=

FTSE 100 has lost 1300 points since Tories got elected in May.

Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    We are actually in recession at the moment so I'd rather the Tories stay in so they get the blame for the Greater than Greater Recession.

Oh dear.
    Stock market losses all over the world is the uk governments fault lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Stock market losses all over the world is the uk governments fault lol
    Of course its not - but the problem is Cameron and Osborne etc blamed Gordon Brown and the Labour government for the last financial crisis so they can't say that "things went wrong on Labour's watch, that's Labour's fault, but things going wrong on our watch, that's not our fault".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Of course its not - but the problem is Cameron and Osborne etc blamed Gordon Brown and the Labour government for the last financial crisis so they can't say that "things went wrong on Labour's watch, that's Labour's fault, but things going wrong on our watch, that's not our fault".
    Actually they can the labour example was through a period of massive growth and they were pissing money up the walls (pfi anyone?)

During their time they have had to deal with cuts the entire time to try and get hold of the deficit.

The conservatives never blamed labour for the crash, simply that they put the country on a bad footing to deal with it through excessive spending and bad banking regulation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cameron's not going to resign and the fixed parliament act stops snap elections.

ReputationRep:
    Actually they can the labour example was through a period of massive growth and they were pissing money up the walls (pfi anyone?)

During their time they have had to deal with cuts the entire time to try and get hold of the deficit.

The conservatives never blamed labour for the crash, simply that they put the country on a bad footing to deal with it through excessive spending and bad banking regulation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Stock market losses all over the world is the uk governments fault"

pfi is a symptom of the same ideology the tories have. That's where labour got it from!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Oh dear.
    I'm not sure you know what the definition of a recession is, we saw a similar collapse in the 01-03 period and yet the economy powered on.

So long as the Chinese service sector continues to grow then i do not believe we will see recession.

ReputationRep:
    Which simply won't happen as the government won't call an election they don't think they can win and 100 opposition MP's won't vote for an election they don't think they can't win.

It's a stalemate hence why it truly is a fixed parliament
    What you say doesn't hold if, as reported, Corbyn believes that politically Labour would have to back Cameron's call for a general election (God knows why he thinks that though; most people would surely think that Corbyn voting down a bid for an early election would be the equivalent of the statesmanship of Pitt, Palmerston and Churchill rolled into one)

ReputationRep:
    this pretty much won't happen ever.

you need what? like 60% of MP's to vote for it under the fixed parliament act, even if Cameron loses the EU referendum I can't see that happening, the Tories will just change leader without an election. (ala Labour with Blair-Brown)

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Anyone who thinks our economy grew post 2001 needs the head examining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'm not sure you know what the definition of a recession is, we saw a similar collapse in the 01-03 period and yet the economy powered on.

So long as the Chinese service sector continues to grow then i do not believe we will see recession.
    So you say ............... yet Gold is up £108 since Janet Yellen of the FED declared the rate rise in the space of 2 month.

I hope all you upper middle classes here have some net-worth in Gold else your going to see your paper become worthless.

Perma Bear forever!

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm not middle class. I'm currently of the lower working class.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who thinks our economy grew post 2001 needs the head examining.
    So gdp didn't grow from 2001 till the crash?

You really are a nut

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

You really are a nut

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not to mention good real wage growth.

ReputationRep:

You really are a nut

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Our GDP has been reliant on increasing levels of debt ever since 2001. This is when the Federal Reserve slashed their interest rates. Since our primary industry is financial services our GDP has been influenced by the hot air created in different forms of stimulus though out the 4 main central banks of the world. Japan, England, EU and US. I even dare to say this problem really began when Japan went into stagnation.

Boom and Bust from 1990 on wards is not normal. Trouble is every millennial thinks it is normal.

If new money is printed and injected into the economy it doesn't create real growth. It just forces stock and house prices up. It looks great in terms of statistics but its nothing more than hot air. All central banks have been doing pump and dump for so long now that our economies are addicted to it.

I feel sorry for you that you can't see past the illusion.

ReputationRep:
    And look at this?

Proof of Hot Air!

Educate yourself and watch Mike Maloney compare US currency base to the Wiltshire 5000.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it possible the Tories could call another election to improve their majority?

ReputationRep:
    Our GDP has been reliant on increasing levels of debt ever since 2001. This is when the Federal Reserve slashed their interest rates. Since our primary industry is financial services our GDP has been influenced by the hot air created in different forms of stimulus though out the 4 main central banks of the world. Japan, England, EU and US. I even dare to say this problem really began when Japan went into stagnation.

Boom and Bust from 1990 on wards is not normal. Trouble is every millennial thinks it is normal.

If new money is printed and injected into the economy it doesn't create real growth. It just forces stock and house prices up. It looks great in terms of statistics but its nothing more than hot air. All central banks have been doing pump and dump for so long now that our economies are addicted to it.

I feel sorry for you that you can't see past the illusion.
    No one gives a **** about stocks when talking about growth!!

It's all about gdp growth

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.