Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

YouTube as a job - tips & advice Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yo guys

Ive spent the last few years doing YouTube on and off and I've been quite successful, I have over 100,000 subscribers on two channels and nearly 100 million views

definitely been mega rewarding so far and it's even bagged me interviews at top firms for industrial placement (the majority of my cv listed what I did / do on YouTube and how I marketed it) so it definitely could raise eyebrows on CV's if it gets fairly big

people assume you have to be really confident and stuff to be a youtuber but I assure you I'm the most awkward guy ever in person lol
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 186
Size:  210.3 KB
    Even got two snazzy little plaques from google when I hit 100k that chill at home

Anyway yeah, if anyone wants to know how you get paid on it, or how to make good titles, or what software to use, or tips etc I'm free to answer questions, YouTube can be a nice little part time job and it's definitely achievable with a little research, and it's very flexible, you can put however many hours in without any pressure

I don't really wanna give my channel out I'd rather keep it 'anonymous' but my videos are playing games primarily

Posted this in entertainment but it got no relies

ReputationRep:
    Still a good start what videos do you make?

And nah I'm in northern England, kinda effort going all the down to London

ReputationRep:
    PM me you channel please?

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on the plaques! Awesome job!

ReputationRep:
    Are the rules on monetisation more lenient now? I remember applying for it on a gaming video and it got rejected for being "too violent"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SUPREME Gent)
    Are the rules on monetisation more lenient now? I remember applying for it on a gaming video and it got rejected for being "too violent"

Pretty sure most games or whatever let you monetise their stuff for free so shouldn't really get denied unless you were trying to monetise something brutal haha

@serah I don't think there's a YouTube space where I am, 99% of my videos are just made at my computer, like games n stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    What type of computer do you have? Like the specs and stuff. Also how long did it take you to reach, say 10,000?

Soz for all these questions lmao.
    honestly not even sure of the specs off the top of my head lool, I bought it like 4 years ago or something, think it has like 16gb ram, some nvidia graphics cards (like 7 something?) and i7 37xx processor or something

all the videos are make are kinda crappy games so a potato could probably run them haha, I probably got to 10k subscribers after a few month but I started making videos at a reaaaallly onvenient time which was good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toshiber)
    Pretty sure most games or whatever let you monetise their stuff for free so shouldn't really get denied unless you were trying to monetise something brutal haha
    This was a few years ago, but yeah it was kinda brutal. Had gory executions and all :lol:

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm what colour is your hair?

ReputationRep:
    Is the pay consistent to have as a job? So will Youtube be your full time job? I wish you the best. Addicted to Youtube vidoes. =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    Is the pay consistent to have as a job? So will Youtube be your full time job? I wish you the best. Addicted to Youtube vidoes. =)
    I think to go full time you'd have to have more subscribers and views.. would be a bit risky if I decided to pursue full time instead of youtube and then my channel getting banned or something haha

ReputationRep:
    I'd be hesitant to view it as a career... A job maybe, if you can fund your lifestyle.

A career is something you expect to build on. In a career you're asking questions like, "In 5 years, or 10 years what am I going to be doing and for what money?", you're ultimate goal is retirement lol. You're doing long term planning.

How does Youtube fit into this? Well, it's ten years old, which is pretty ancient for the internet, but "youtube stars" who make a living off it haven't been around since probably about 2010. So the business is 5 years mature, not much. In that timespan its faced huge challenges and upheavals. Channels have had to react to YouTube's policy, and decisions, and things like financing can make or break a channel. Something bad happens and you get a few strikes. That's all lost. And not in a "I got fired/layed off" type, if you get fired you still have x years of experience and there are usually other employers around. YouTube is the only 'employer' of YouTubers.

The amount YouTube pays per view varies, and trends up and down. I'm sure you know more than me, but what confidence do you have that it will remain what it is? Has it been trending up or down over time? I've heard from most of the Youtubers I watch that there's been a consistent downward trend, hence why a lot are using sponserships to support their channels.

In my opinion, YouTube isn't going to look anything like it does today in 5 or 10 years time. If you made your job Youtubing, I'd expect to be trying to do something else after that long. What do you feel about that? You have two routes in my opinion:

• As your channel builds, always have an eye out to do other things off the back of your youtube. Are you writing content? Producing complex videos? Do you start developing small games for your fan base (I've seen Youtubers become game developers)? When YouTube dies, be in a position to get a role as a producer in TV, or launch your own production company, or gaming company.
    • Apply for normal jobs. If you play this right "I ran my own business", faced these challenges, managed books, employees etc etc. If you don't "I made some videos for 5 years..." that's not going to look good on a CV.

I'm quite risk averse. I wouldn't bet my career on something that unstable. But I'm already 5 years into a career, got a kid, house, I can't afford to take those risks (in my opinion). Maybe you can. But if you do, always keep an eye out on an exit strategy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thanks for the info @HanyvjPretty much the only reason I decided to go to uni and just chill with youtube, more relaxed that way instead of stressing about my future

although after seeing how successful some of the people I talk to on skype have became since I've took a backseat.. I'm jealous haha

I wrote this on Reddit earlier today by the way if anyones interested (pic below), it's giving tips on how to word youtube videos better to get significantly more views, pretty much guaranteed to get views as long as the video isn't total garbage haha.. Youtube would have been a lot easier if I knew this from the start

https://i.imgur.com/bfeQlJk.jpg

The question was replying to some guy asking for tips, I used minecraft game titles as a description but you can use it for any type of video (same idea). It's pretty crude but that's literally all you need tok now to make effective titles, and considering 95% of people don't use good tags and titles it puts you at an instant advantage

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.