Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got accepted to a music course in London, chances are I will have to rent somewhere to stay. On top of that I will have tuition fees, living expenses etc. I was wondering how other students pay this.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aidanmcallister)
    I got accepted to a music course in London, chances are I will have to rent somewhere to stay. On top of that I will have tuition fees, living expenses etc. I was wondering how other students pay this.

Cheers
    If it's a degree-level course at a public uni, then you can apply to the SAAS for student finance. That will give you a loan to pay the tuition fee, and a Maintenance Loan towards living costs.

If it's something else, then you need to ask your course provider for their recommendations about funding sources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    If it's a degree-level course at a public uni, then you can apply to the SAAS for student finance. That will give you a loan to pay the tuition fee, and a Maintenance Loan towards living costs.

If it's something else, then you need to ask your course provider for their recommendations about funding sources.
    Yeah it's a degree and SAAS will apparently will give me a loan. The main concern is living expenses especially because London is so expensive. Will they give me a loan for rent as well?

Thanks a lot for your feedback

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aidanmcallister)
    Yeah it's a degree and SAAS will apparently will give me a loan. The main concern is living expenses especially because London is so expensive. Will they give me a loan for rent as well?

Thanks a lot for your feedback
    There is only the Maintenance Loan. It will be a little more as you're studying in London where rent is generally more expensive than other places in the UK. No account will be taken of your outgoings - you have to try and find accommodation which you can afford. You may need to get a part-time job to make ends meet.

ReputationRep:
    There is only the Maintenance Loan. It will be a little more as you're studying in London where rent is generally more expensive than other places in the UK. No account will be taken of your outgoings - you have to try and find accommodation which you can afford. You may need to get a part-time job to make ends meet.
    SAAS stopped the extra London allowance a couple of years ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    SAAS stopped the extra London allowance a couple of years ago

Blimey - thanks for the heads-up. That sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Blimey - thanks for the heads-up. That sucks.
    Yup, one of the costs of them offering free tuition fees to the Scots/EU students in Scotland

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.