Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have recieved offers of A*AA from both of these universities and would love to get some insight into what studying English BA is like in these places. The Bristol course is much more rigid and traditional than Exeter's but I'm starting to feel as if studying a more traditional course would be a better way of acquiring a broader knowledge of the subject. I love analysing texts and always find myself loving whatever book or poem I am studying but I've never studied early literature (like from the 1200s, as I am aware is covered in the Bristol course).

It'd be great if I could hear people's experiences of studying English at Bristol and Exeter. Have you enjoyed the course? How helpful are the tutors, is there much support regarding exam feedback?

Any opinions on the English courses at these two universities would be welcomed with open arms!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milsies)
    I have recieved offers of A*AA from both of these universities and would love to get some insight into what studying English BA is like in these places. The Bristol course is much more rigid and traditional than Exeter's but I'm starting to feel as if studying a more traditional course would be a better way of acquiring a broader knowledge of the subject. I love analysing texts and always find myself loving whatever book or poem I am studying but I've never studied early literature (like from the 1200s, as I am aware is covered in the Bristol course).

It'd be great if I could hear people's experiences of studying English at Bristol and Exeter. Have you enjoyed the course? How helpful are the tutors, is there much support regarding exam feedback?

Any opinions on the English courses at these two universities would be welcomed with open arms!
    Hopefully some people with experience of the specific courses can comment soon.

In the meantime you can see the opinions of the 2014/15 finalists on both courses here:
    Bristol
    v
    Exeter

Click through to other tabs to compare the courses on the scheduled lecture time, assessment methods, drop outs after 1 year, employment and degree classifications/entry standards.

Obviously this isn't the be all and end all - but if any of the numbers there worry you it's completely ok to contact a university or department and ask them about their NSS score in a specific question and ask if there are any specific reasons for the low score and what is being changed to improve this in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Hopefully some people with experience of the specific courses can comment soon.

In the meantime you can see the opinions of the 2014/15 finalists on both courses here:
    Bristol
    v
    Exeter

Click through to other tabs to compare the courses on the scheduled lecture time, assessment methods, drop outs after 1 year, employment and degree classifications/entry standards.

Obviously this isn't the be all and end all - but if any of the numbers there worry you it's completely ok to contact a university or department and ask them about their NSS score in a specific question and ask if there are any specific reasons for the low score and what is being changed to improve this in future.
    Thank you very much. This was useful!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.