Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    In a few days (18th Feb) I am having an interview for Mechanical engineering. I just wanted to see if anyone has any tips for it as it will be my first (and probably only) University interview as my other offers don't interview.

What kind of questions are asked?
    What should I wear? (Suit/Jeans+T-shirt)
    How long does the interview itself last?
    Is it just 1 interviewer, or multiple?
    Any other tips which could help?

Thanks for any help.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

So, interview formats change a lot from place to place. I can give you some very broad advice but bear in mind that it's only pointers, and not something you should definitely expect.

(Original post by Barney6262)
    What kind of questions are asked?
    You can be asked questions about why you are interested in the course, what job prospects you're interested in, why you want to go to that university, do you know what to expect, how prepared are you after previous grades/classes, etc. Personally, I've been asked before to relate to something engineering-specific currently going on in the world, and I've also been asked specific questions about the department I was entering. Have a good background knowledge on many things.

What should I wear? (Suit/Jeans+T-shirt)
    Dress well, making a good impression at the start of an interview can change everything. I would usually dress relatively smart; smart shoes, trousers and a shirt of some kind. A suit may well be fine, I've only ever worn a suit when it's been explicitly suggested.

How long does the interview itself last?
    A 20 - 30 minute interview can be standard, but it can vary. If the university has a lot of students to see, the interview may be shorter. On the other hand, if they have the time, it could go on for longer.

Is it just 1 interviewer, or multiple?
    From personal experience, I've always had at least 2 interviewers, occasionally 3. Don't be put off by the number of them, I actually prefer having a few since it can be easier to have a more conversational style.

Any other tips which could help?
    Be yourself - there is no perfect recipe to an interview, the main thing they want is to see how you come across, to know you. Get someone to give you practice questions, see what others have experienced during interviews and prepare for it.

It's a daunting process, but usually not as scary as everyone makes out. Again, what I've said is purely to be used as a guideline, to give some extra thought. Definitely look around more - many people on here will have better advice than me!

Hope this helps, and best of luck in the interview!

Scott
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.