Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever stared into your reflection for too long? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I can't do it because after a while I get either double vision or my astigmatism kicks in

ReputationRep:
    When I spend staring at my self for too long I end up crying, knowing how hurt I am deep down and it is so easy to hide it to the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DedicatedWizard)
    It's even creepier when you realise that you are actually seeing everything behind your eyes.

I get a bit nervous around mirrors which is bad since there's a full length mirror next to the bath tub so I can't avoid seeing myself. It's worse in the evening :cry2:
    Me too ! I hate mirrors but they're also pretty useful

ReputationRep:
    Yeeeah I've had that before, it's pretty cool.

ReputationRep:
    I remember briefly glancing at a study paper on this some time ago and it's called the 'face in the mirror illusion'. The study reported that some people even see the face of a parent or a monster. If I look into my eyes in a mirror for long enough and without any distractions I feel like I'm dissociated from my identity. It's pretty cool, it feels like an out of body experience. I have no idea why it happens though, the sciencey bit of the paper went over my head.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus everloving Christ people. Just reading about this has made me scared

Many, many times. I'm probably the biggest narcissist on here.

ReputationRep:
    I've stared into a mirror for lengthy periods before, not noticed anything abnormal. I'm not gonna dim the lights and stare in the mirror while smiling though, that's just ****ing weird...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DedicatedWizard)
    Especially into your eyes. I did that this evening and I felt this weird sort of feeling I can't describe. It's like looking at a strange person and I'm frankly a bit unnerved.

I resorted to Google and found a creepypasta related to this (no jumpscares or anything don't worry): http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Staring

Don't read if you want to have a good night's sleep because I certainly won't. :cry:
    (Original post by MoonRocket)
    Yeah I'm like whose that? Am I real? Is my eye real?
    Exactly this.

You get the feeling, because when you stare at yourself like that your mind focuses on the possibility that you might not actually be real, and so you feel a sense of alienation to yourself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.