Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Applied and had offers but want to change degree from Economics to Finance, too late? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

As you'd gather from reading the title I'm in a bit of a situation. It took me a long time to decide which subject I wished to study. Eventually settled on Economics after deliberating between Business Management and Economics.

Since then however I've done a lot more research into Ecomomics and related degrees and think I would be much more interested in and suited to a degree in finance. Only issue being I've already received all my offers for Economics.

Is there anyway to go about changing these or will I have to wait until I go to attend the uni before asking?

I would be willing to study Economics but just think I would much, much prefer finance.

Uni's applied for - Swansea, Bristol UWE, Manchester Met and Portsmouth.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    email the universities you applied to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    email the universities you applied to.
    Will this have any adverse effects? Like they might say sorry we have no places but as you're not interested in your course we're withdrawing the offer?

Thanks for the reply.

ReputationRep:
    My friend found herself in the same situation, and she emailed the universities she applied to regarding it. Most of the universities were happy to help, and transferred her application to the other department. Out of the 4 she asked (she applied to Oxbridge), 3 of them were willing to help her with the problem, and she ended up receiving offers from them all. So give it a try!

Edit: She had also already received her offers for the courses she originally applied to, so she had offers when she asked to change courses.

ReputationRep:
    Phone the universities speak to the department head first if possible or the admissions department. Explain the situation and ask if you could swap your application to the other course or if they would be willing to after you receive the grades. They might be able to put you on a dual honours degree like economics and finance. It's best to talk to them on the phone as emailing can take a lot longer.

Because of it being UCAS I don't know how it'll work on that side of things, they might update your offer.

Good luck, I hope it goes well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rvcfever)
    Will this have any adverse effects? Like they might say sorry we have no places but as you're not interested in your course we're withdrawing the offer?

Thanks for the reply.
    (Original post by NekoAngel13)
    Phone the universities speak to the department head first if possible or the admissions department. Explain the situation and ask if you could swap your application to the other course or if they would be willing to after you receive the grades. They might be able to put you on a dual honours degree like economics and finance. It's best to talk to them on the phone as emailing can take a lot longer.

Because of it being UCAS I don't know how it'll work on that side of things, they might update your offer.

Good luck, I hope it goes well
    Just adding in a little note here! My friend specified that she was not interested in losing the offers she already had, at least not before she had received offers from the course she changed to. The unis she applied to agreed to this, but you should of course hear with yours if they do the same. So her applications were being considered for changing courses, and if they were unsuccessful, she would still hold her place at the original course. When she received her offers from the new courses, the universities simply changed the course she was offered through UCAS (meaning she lost her original offers, but gained the ones for the course she changed to). Of course, this is an individual case, but it is doable, especially when the courses are so alike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rvcfever)

Thanks for the reply.
    no that is unprofessional. they will not do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m1m2)
    Just adding in a little note here! My friend specified that she was not interested in losing the offers she already had, at least not before she had received offers from the course she changed to. The unis she applied to agreed to this, but you should of course hear with yours if they do the same. So her applications were being considered for changing courses, and if they were unsuccessful, she would still hold her place at the original course. When she received her offers from the new courses, the universities simply changed the course she was offered through UCAS (meaning she lost her original offers, but gained the ones for the course she changed to). Of course, this is an individual case, but it is doable, especially when the courses are so alike.
    Thanks for your help. Will e-mail them today and hope for the best

One of my teachers is convinced that at worst I'll have to wait until I get to uni and then they'll let me switch but I will email them now and see what they can do

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.