Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else doing these exams?? have you got any good advice for them??? im doing normal revisiony type stuff, but am still not feeling up to it!!! what sort of things do you do for french revision??? please help!! am very panicked!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma18)
    Is anyone else doing these exams?? have you got any good advice for them??? im doing normal revisiony type stuff, but am still not feeling up to it!!! what sort of things do you do for french revision??? please help!! am very panicked!!!
    yeah i am.

im qutie worried too

ill be working thru a grammar book i have, and looking at some past papers to see what mistakes NOT to make.

ReputationRep:
    sounds v good! thats the sort of thing i do as well!!! do you know of any good websites?? ed excel only have a sample past paper, and i think ive got all of the past papers my teacher has!! (tho i will go and hassle her to make sure!!)

ReputationRep:
    me too-but i have the unit 5 paper tomorrow first so i'm concentrating on that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    me too-but i have the unit 5 paper tomorrow first so i'm concentrating on that!
    Hi I've got french too - For revision I work through grammar excersises, translate everything I see and try not to worry too much!
    I've got paper 5 tomorrow too - what texts are you doing? I'm doing boule de suif and la clé sur la porte. It's worrying me a bit ............

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm doing Boule de Suif and the two Truffaut films for paper 5. Does anyone know where I can get any decent internet resources (on the films particularly but for BdeS aswell)? I need to get down to some serious studying tonight but don't have enough info!

Marcos

ReputationRep:
    we dont do a texts one?! ( i had to check then that it wasnt something our teachers had just missed out!!!!!) ours are just the, unit 6a and b (reading, writing and listening) coz our unit 5 was the two courseworks! and the unit 4 was the 15 minute oral!
    still dreading it all tho!! its my last exam day!!! yay!! (although i also have all of my chem exams on that day! :eek: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma18)
    we dont do a texts one?! ( i had to check then that it wasnt something our teachers had just missed out!!!!!) ours are just the, unit 6a and b (reading, writing and listening) coz our unit 5 was the two courseworks! and the unit 4 was the 15 minute oral!
    still dreading it all tho!! its my last exam day!!! yay!! (although i also have all of my chem exams on that day! :eek: )
    hi there

nah theres the choice between the paper or coursework. we did coursework so its just unit 6 to go to.

i also have p4 on that day. joy of joys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcos)
    Hi
    I'm doing Boule de Suif and the two Truffaut films for paper 5. Does anyone know where I can get any decent internet resources (on the films particularly but for BdeS aswell)? I need to get down to some serious studying tonight but don't have enough info!

Marcos
    Hi, I'm doing Boule de suif. I've searched the internet loads for this but can't find anything. I think I'm with it though. are you doing any of the other Maupassant stories? we're doing un duel, deux amis, la mère sauvage, un coup d'état and Walter Schnaffs too!

ReputationRep:
    can someone tell me what the listening exam format is for edexcel french? Is it the same as past years (questions on first clip, then translating from french into english) or have they changed it?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    i certainly hope so!! those are the only types of past papers i have!! i cant imagine theyd change it tho, especially not without sending out new specimen papers!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megan18)
    Hi, I'm doing Boule de suif. I've searched the internet loads for this but can't find anything. I think I'm with it though. are you doing any of the other Maupassant stories? we're doing un duel, deux amis, la mère sauvage, un coup d'état and Walter Schnaffs too!

hey, for unit 5 i did boule de suif et autres contes...the ones that megan18 has mentioned and my second text is l'avare. how did everyone find it? i thought the boule de suif question was great!-i did walter shnaffs, but the l'avare one was rather difficult.

ReputationRep:
    I did Boule de suif as well, the second question, because it gave you a lot of freedom... you could choose whichever story you wanted and analyse it so it was good
    --- What edition do all of you guys have??? It's coz ours didn`t have the walter shnaffs conte and our french teacher panicked as soon as he saw it. So no one did that one, I guess it won't be a problem but just so that they get the right edition in our school for the following years since i imagine that that's not the only story missing from the edition we have now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rutera)
    I did Boule de suif as well, the second question, because it gave you a lot of freedom... you could choose whichever story you wanted and analyse it so it was good
    --- What edition do all of you guys have??? It's coz ours didn`t have the walter shnaffs conte and our french teacher panicked as soon as he saw it. So no one did that one, I guess it won't be a problem but just so that they get the right edition in our school for the following years since i imagine that that's not the only story missing from the edition we have now.
    hi, I thought paper 5 went OK. I agree with rutera that the second question on boule de suif was good - I used the story La mère Sauvage - which did you use? the edition we used (which contained walter schnaffs) was the Nelson edition ISBN 0-17-444347-1

ReputationRep:
    hi, I thought paper 5 went OK. I agree with rutera that the second question on boule de suif was good - I used the story La mère Sauvage - which did you use? the edition we used (which contained walter schnaffs) was the Nelson edition ISBN 0-17-444347-1
    Hi megan, thanks a lot... we used Flammarion which is a French edition, maybe that's why. Perhaps the french editions are different, not sure...

I did Mademoiselle Fifi but I was thinking of doing la mère sauvage, it'sa a good one to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rutera)
    Hi megan, thanks a lot... we used Flammarion which is a French edition, maybe that's why. Perhaps the french editions are different, not sure...

I did Mademoiselle Fifi but I was thinking of doing la mère sauvage, it'sa a good one to do.
    I don't know Mademoiselle Fifi ... is it good? I keep getting annoyed at myself coz I keep thinking of the things I could have written, and the tiny le/la un/une mistakes that I made! so annoying!
    Another reason why the Nelson edition is good is because it has pages and pages of notes at the beginning about Maupassant's style, the stereotypes he creates etc.

How are you feeling about paper 6 next week? I'm not too worried about it but I've got to do well coz I need a B overall to get into uni. getting anxious now!

ReputationRep:
    yeh i've got the same edition as megan18, it's grey rite? it's got really good vocab explanations aswell at the back.

i feel the same about unit5 i need a B overall for my uni too, and i'm thinking i'm more likely to get a C!

what are you doing in uni megan18 and where?

ReputationRep:
    Mademoiselle Fifi is good, it's one of the few stories with a genuinely happy ending andthere's more action in it than in most stories. Flammarion is good too, there's a lot of comments on Maupassant's style by French famous authors of his time but I think it might have been easier if we had an English edition like Nelson... Where the comments and vocab explanations in English? The thing is that my French teacher is Swiss and tends to use French editions for everything and explains the text to us in French as well so maybe that's why he didn't get Nelson. His English is good but not perfectly fluent.
    I felt the same after leaving paper 5, it's normal to remember all the things you should have written but forgot to and think about all the silly mistakes you made. Especially with Thérèse Desqueyroux, our other text, our teacher started to tell us things we should have written and I missed out on some and that got me quite nervous. I need an A in French for my firm choice and I'm starting to worry about not getting it. Anyway, good luck to all of you for unit 6!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneezyme)
    yeh i've got the same edition as megan18, it's grey rite? it's got really good vocab explanations aswell at the back.

i feel the same about unit5 i need a B overall for my uni too, and i'm thinking i'm more likely to get a C!

what are you doing in uni megan18 and where?
    Hi, I'm sure you'll get a B - you seem clever! Yeah I've got they grey book with all the notes and vocab - v. good.
    I'm going to Nottingham to do French Studies (I need BBC) Where are you going??

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm sure you'll get a B - you seem clever! Yeah I've got they grey book with all the notes and vocab - v. good.
    I'm going to Nottingham to do French Studies (I need BBC) Where are you going??
    thanks that's sweet, though i'm really struggling! i going to rhul to do french and spanish (i need BBB).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.