The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
sneezyme
thanks that's sweet, though i'm really struggling! i going to rhul to do french and spanish (i need BBB).

What did you get for AS? If you wanna chat about anything to do with french, PM me. Also I know loads of good websites where you can practice french grammar online. Have you got the book Advanced French Vocabulary by Philip Horsfall? if not it's really really good for vocab and it's set out in a really good format. the ISBN is 0-7487-5780-5.
How do you feel about Spanish? :smile:
Reply 21
oh and another thing for everyone - do you all know the website www.s-cool.co.uk? It's a bit patronising (!) but it's got pages of vocab for french, and also some really useful revision sheets on difficult grammar points eg. ce qui/ce que and laquelle/lequel etc. ........
Reply 22
megan18
oh and another thing for everyone - do you all know the website www.s-cool.co.uk? It's a bit patronising (!) but it's got pages of vocab for french, and also some really useful revision sheets on difficult grammar points eg. ce qui/ce que and laquelle/lequel etc. ........

i used s-cool for for english lit but not for french-i'll try it out thanks! i don't have the grammer book you're talking about, but i do have 'mot-à-mot' which is excellent-even for university level. it has vocab and phrases for essays, and for general topic areas. i recommend it.

i'm really weak at the translation part on the reading paper, as i find it soo difficult. do you know how i can practice for this? i've tried translating random articles...also the listening is always soo hard too.
Reply 23
sneezyme
i used s-cool for for english lit but not for french-i'll try it out thanks! i don't have the grammer book you're talking about, but i do have 'mot-à-mot' which is excellent-even for university level. it has vocab and phrases for essays, and for general topic areas. i recommend it.

i'm really weak at the translation part on the reading paper, as i find it soo difficult. do you know how i can practice for this? i've tried translating random articles...also the listening is always soo hard too.

listening and translation are always the hardest part ... um, have you tried having the french radio as often as possible - that can help. You can get a french radio station if you put in on radio 1 FM, and then switch it to LW!
for the translation it sounds like you're doing what you can - don't forget that a lot of the vocab for the passage will come from the article before.
I think that the secret of translation is trying to become familiar with as many ways of saying one thing as possible - that way if you come across a word or phrase in the exam that you don't know you can try and re-word it. I'll try and think of some examples and post them up ........... :smile:
Reply 24
megan18
listening and translation are always the hardest part ... um, have you tried having the french radio as often as possible - that can help. You can get a french radio station if you put in on radio 1 FM, and then switch it to LW!
for the translation it sounds like you're doing what you can - don't forget that a lot of the vocab for the passage will come from the article before.
I think that the secret of translation is trying to become familiar with as many ways of saying one thing as possible - that way if you come across a word or phrase in the exam that you don't know you can try and re-word it. I'll try and think of some examples and post them up ........... :smile:

yeh i listen to the french radio almost everyday, but what i find in the listening exam is that it isn't that i don't understand what i'm hearing, it's that i'm not able to answer the questions-i know it sounds stupid but i can't explain myself any better! the discursive essay should be ok, as you get so many titles to chose from.
Hopefully I'll be okay this tuesday.. >< I have loads of discursive essays and practise papers I can do, which is cool.
Reply 26
dramaticemma
Hopefully I'll be okay this tuesday.. >< I have loads of discursive essays and practise papers I can do, which is cool.

has anyone got essay titles I can have to do some practice? I've got a few, but I've done them all now and I'd really like to do a few more if anyone's got any ....thanks! :smile:
Reply 27
i've just realised something. the 2002 writing in registers exam says to write 250 words but the 2003 paper says to write 350 words. so will it be 350 this year? this is for the discursive essay by the way. also another thing, does anyone know if we still have to refer to the target language country in our answer in the discursive essay? as they stopped that in the oral from this year.
Reply 28
I'm pretty calm bout 2moz at the mO!!! 2nite wil b another story! I really find the translation hard but i have hardly any material to practise from and when i do extra work the teacher won't ever mark it!! We do hav to try and relate it to a francophone, like in a mock i did bout transport so mentioned the TVG (is that right? can't remember at the mo!) But I don't think you need detailed knowledge!! I'm really hoping we have to write bout transport, the environment or energy!!Pretty sure it's only 250 words!! Betta b any way!! :eek: I'm aiming for an A but i neva seem to b able to reach it before so B here i cum!! I'll try n help if i can, il prob b on l8r in a panic!!
Reply 29
Also, wot are u guys all doing to revise today? I admit i hav left french a bit coz its nearly my last exam!! I woz goin to go through grammer things again and do sum practise essays but anyone got any other ideas?!?! :tongue:
Reply 30
curlyc3
I'm pretty calm bout 2moz at the mO!!! 2nite wil b another story! I really find the translation hard but i have hardly any material to practise from and when i do extra work the teacher won't ever mark it!! We do hav to try and relate it to a francophone, like in a mock i did bout transport so mentioned the TVG (is that right? can't remember at the mo!) But I don't think you need detailed knowledge!! I'm really hoping we have to write bout transport, the environment or energy!!Pretty sure it's only 250 words!! Betta b any way!! :eek: I'm aiming for an A but i neva seem to b able to reach it before so B here i cum!! I'll try n help if i can, il prob b on l8r in a panic!!

TGV (train de grand vitesse)

j'ai peur :frown:
Reply 31
Do any of u guys have any ideas wot the writing part is going to be on or told what subjects to expect?? I'm trying so hard to remain calm but j'ai très très peur et je voudrais reussi!
Reply 32
no sorry curlyc3, i was trying to predict some myself!

well good luck to everyone! :biggrin:
Reply 33
Yeah me too! Teacher woz no use which is why I thought I'd try on here!! What are you all doin to revise 2nite (or stay calm depending on ur mood!) I'm just going through my notes n goin to do a few essay plans does that sound like a good idea?? I'm findin it hard to be motivated coz i'm so close to the end n gettin a tad burnt out!!
Good luck to everyone!! Hope we all get the topics we want!! :biggrin:
Reply 34
my teacher told us that we don't have to talk about a francophone country in our answers anymore - Edexcel realised how stupid it was and ommited it - anyone else been told that? I do think it is a good idea to do it if you can though - anything to butter up the examiners!! :rolleyes:
Reply 35
so how did everyone find that?

i thought the reading was ok-ish but the translation was awful! :frown: there wasn't enough time, although i finished it, i could have done with extra time as it was a bit rushed towards the end. the discursive essay was fine-the only bit i'm happy with! there was loads of extra time, i finished it it 40 mins! finally the listening and writing was ok-ish but again the time was short, i was rushed at the end, and couldn't check it through! i'm pretty sure i haven't got the B i need! :frown:

what was each section out of? i know the discursive essay was 40 and the listening was 35. what was the reading. somehow i don't think it totals to 120... :confused:
Reply 36
sneezyme
so how did everyone find that?

i thought the reading was ok-ish but the translation was awful! :frown: there wasn't enough time, although i finished it, i could have done with extra time as it was a bit rushed towards the end. the discursive essay was fine-the only bit i'm happy with! there was loads of extra time, i finished it it 40 mins! finally the listening and writing was ok-ish but again the time was short, i was rushed at the end, and couldn't check it through! i'm pretty sure i haven't got the B i need! :frown:

what was each section out of? i know the discursive essay was 40 and the listening was 35. what was the reading. somehow i don't think it totals to 120... :confused:

I thought the other way round - I found the translation OK and the reading quite hard! I thought the second part of the listening was OK, and I thought that the discursive essay was fine! I did the politics question. I don't think I'm gonna get a B over all either but I suppose we should keep positive!
Reply 37
I found it on the whole quite good! But i seem to have opposite opinions to you guys!! I found the reading really straight foward and understood pretty much everything which is unusual for me!! Translation good I thought!! I found the listening iffy but really couldnt remember the word for wheel chair!! I thought the questions for the essay were bit odd coz none of them were the main topics like environment etc. but i did the politics one aswell!! Did u agree or disagree with the comment?? :tongue:
Reply 38
i did politics too-i agreed (though i put a bit of i disagree as its a DISCURSIVE essay). isn't wheelchair fauteil? oh no i thought thats what wheelchair was, i just realised its fauteil roulette-i think mine's all wrong now :eek: :frown:
Reply 39
sneezyme
i did politics too-i agreed (though i put a bit of i disagree as its a DISCURSIVE essay). isn't wheelchair fauteil? oh no i thought thats what wheelchair was, i just realised its fauteil roulette-i think mine's all wrong now :eek: :frown:

well I completely ballsed up the listening if that makes anyone feel any better! I really didn't know the word for wheelchair! :frown:
I said I disagree but I put forward both sides of the argument too! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending