Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Probability problem Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A manufacturer has six distinct motors in stock, two of which came from a particular supplier. The motors must be divided among two production lines, with three motors going to each line. If the assignment of motors to lines is random, find the probability that both motors from the particular supplier are assigned to the first line.

I'd appreciate an explanation on how to work out the answer to this one.

ReputationRep:
    Note that all outcomes, i.e. all arrangements of the six motors, are equally likely. Therefore the probability you seek is the number of outcomes in which the two from the particular supplier end up on the first line divided by the number of outcomes

(Original post by The OP)
    A manufacturer has six distinct motors in stock, two of which came from a particular supplier. The motors must be divided among two production lines, with three motors going to each line. If the assignment of motors to lines is random, find the probability that both motors from the particular supplier are assigned to the first line.I'd appreciate an explanation on how to work out the answer to this one.
    edit: well, better not to think of all the arrangements, that'd be a lot, but rather how they can be divided amongst the lines

ReputationRep:
    nice question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The OP)
    A manufacturer has six distinct motors in stock, two of which came from a particular supplier. The motors must be divided among two production lines, with three motors going to each line. If the assignment of motors to lines is random, find the probability that both motors from the particular supplier are assigned to the first line.

I'd appreciate an explanation on how to work out the answer to this one.
    Find the total number of ways to distribute the six distinct motors over two groups which have a size of 3:
    6!/(3!3!) = 20
    Assume that the condition is met, we then have 4 motors left but now the first line is 2/3rds full, the number of ways this can happen is:
    4!/(1!3!) = 4

Hence the probability is 4/20 = 1/5

I may be wrong, its early.

ReputationRep:
    Or calculate how you could have neither of those two in the other line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCalver)
    Find the total number of ways to distribute the six distinct motors over two groups which have a size of 3:
    6!/(3!3!) = 20
    Assume that the condition is met, we then have 4 motors left but now the first line is 2/3rds full, the number of ways this can happen is:
    4!/(1!3!) = 4

Hence the probability is 4/20 = 1/5

I may be wrong, its early.
    That's what I got

ReputationRep:
    the problem is beautifully easy

say AABBBB and we require the two As to be together

we pick the 1st P(B) =4/6
    we pick the 2nd P(B) =3/5
    we pick the 3rd P(B) =2/4

that means that the 2 As are now together

hence required probability is 1/5 (by multiplying the above fractions)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.