Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rhodes must fall Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chellecharity)
    Pro or against?

If you didn't know Rhodes is the dude who colonised Zimbabwe and parts of SA, hence its pre-independence name of the state of Rhodesia. mass genocide followed by the introduction of western infrastructure (the usual slavery story) . He also started the Rhodes scholaship for students in Oxford so they built a statue of him at one of the colleges of which students are campaigning to have it taken down on the basis of racial glorification

I'm totally pro without question
    Yeah, the bold is the problem.

ReputationRep:
    No, he should stay. Rhodes was a great civiliser, even if his motivations to do so were misguided. He did great work for the African nations and for the commonwealth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    The logic extends to all controversial historical figures. Should Trinity College, Cambridge remove the statute of Henry VIII which is on its gate? He was a tyrant, misogynist and massive human rights abuser.
    Should George Washington and Thomas Jefferson be removed from public buildings, coins, banknotes, etc. in the USA because they owned slaves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Against, as is anyone moderately sane, because revisionism is an abhorrent cancer in our excessively PC society.

Boo hoo, it doesn't influence you, no-one cares about your hurt feelings and you're not special enough to warrant them being considered
    Hear, Hear.

It's so tiresome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    The logic extends to all controversial historical figures. Should Trinity College, Cambridge remove the statute of Henry VIII which is on its gate? He was a tyrant, misogynist and massive human rights abuser.
    Did Henry VIII reign affect Black people in any way...?

ReputationRep:
    No keep the statue up. Anything that offends progressives is fine in my book.

ReputationRep:
    Absurd. Cecil Rhodes was bro tier. 'Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life.'

ReputationRep:
    Even more ironic how one of the figureheads of this movement actually studied at Oxford on the Rhodes scholarship lol
    That isn't irony. The word you are searching for is hypocrisy. It is hypocritical to benefit from the work of someone you want to expunge from history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Age Quod Agis)
    Well, Desmond Tutu couldn't have become an archbishop of the Anglican Church if Henry hadn't broken away from Rome. That means at least one black person's life was directly and significantly affected by his reign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Well, Desmond Tutu couldn't have become an archbishop of the Anglican Church if Henry hadn't broken away from Rome. That means at least one black person's life was directly and significantly affected by his reign.
    Negatively*

ReputationRep:
    Pro or against?

If you didn't know Rhodes is the dude who colonised Zimbabwe and parts of SA, hence its pre-independence name of the state of Rhodesia. mass genocide followed by the introduction of western infrastructure (the usual slavery story) . He also started the Rhodes scholaship for students in Oxford so they built a statue of him at one of the colleges of which students are campaigning to have it taken down on the basis of racial glorification

Something tells me you don't have an opinion nearly this strong against Ottoman, Japanese or Arab colonisation, mass murder, sex slavery, pillaging, genocide etc etc. You only hate it when the West does it because hating the West gives social justice warriors a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. It's also fashionable.

ReputationRep:
    I am against the destruction of listed buildings and vandalism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Against. This is just further proof that the current generation is unable to accept history and move on. History is not always sweet.

ReputationRep:
    Negatively*
    Well, Tutu is clearly disadvantaged as he could have become a Roman Catholic archbishop if it weren't for Henry VIII's reformation.

ReputationRep:
    I really couldn't care less.
    Why is protecting Black people a less valid cause than protecting women?

ReputationRep:
    Believe me, if this world is so "over" constitutional racism as it claims to be, most British figureheads would've been condemned but hey Rome wasn't built in day right?
    One falls, hopefully it'll create a domino effect.

Btw "people like you" you mean black people? Or PoC? Tad bit vague there love
    Don't forget figures like Gandhi and margret Sanger.

No historical figure is without blemish. There is no such thing as a hero, we are all just anti heroes some better at hiding the anti than others.

ReputationRep:
    Pro or against?

In other news, the second world war ended in 1945....
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    There are many worthy things to protest about but this is not one of them. If anybody wants to know why the left are viewed as a laughing stock at times, this type of thing is why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Should George Washington and Thomas Jefferson be removed from public buildings, coins, banknotes, etc. in the USA because they owned slaves?
    You're aiming this at the wrong people since they are the ones more likely to have a worse view of american " heroes" for things like this.

ReputationRep:
    Against. I dislike this idea of "I don't like it therefore it should be banned/removed." It's authoritarian. They should STFU and ignore it if they don't like it. ****ing leftwing loons.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.