The Student Room Group

Rhodes must fall

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
But it isn't exactly "changing history", it is leaving it in the past and moving forward.

Rhodes statue should fall, there is no reason for anybody to be reminded of his colonial legacy every morning. It's completely unnecessary, we live in a multicultural society and times have changed, and British Imperialism was left behind a long time ago. I think it will be very refreshing to see his statue gone.

What do you even mean by this?

You literally say that we need to get rid of the statue to move forward before saying that we have already moved forward.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
But it isn't exactly "changing history", it is leaving it in the past and moving forward.

Rhodes statue should fall, there is no reason for anybody to be reminded of his colonial legacy every morning. It's completely unnecessary, we live in a multicultural society and times have changed, and British Imperialism was left behind a long time ago. I think it will be very refreshing to see his statue gone.

No, its not changing history, but it is attempting to hide the bits we disagree with, rather than attempting to have an intellectual discussion about them.
Y'know why Germany doesn't try to deny Hitler existed? Because they're not too stupid to see that you should learn from the past, so that it doesn't happen again.
I agree with you, there's no just reason to have a statue of such a despicable individual! What is there to celebrate about his ruthless, cold-bloodedness - who cares if he gave money for scholarships - the guy had a lot of money! Besides, the scholarships were only there to educate people in his image (most of the Rhodes scholarship recipients went on to work for the CS, the gov., or the secret service)!! One couldn't argue that he was funding education for the wider benefit of people at time! There are far nobler individuals in history of whom we should be erecting statues. Statues of individuals like him can be packed away in the dark cellars of museums for later generations to discover the shameful relics of our previous insanities.
Original post by The_Opinion
I take it that the Egyptian pyramids should also be torn down? They were even built by slaves, how oppressive!Also, the statue of liberty, after all, it was a gift from the French to annoy the British in relation to the colonial era rivalry between the two nations.

Exactly.

Only Europeans allow people to pull such BS on them.
Rhodes is by no means someone that should be celebrated but I think the decision to keep or remove the statue is solely Oxfords.

And honestly I think it's best we have reminders like this. It's like trying to erase colonialism from history.
It's like how we are constantly reminded about hitler and how mein kampf is still for sale. Doesn't mean we celebrate him.
(edited 8 years ago)
Good to see the alumni reacting in a sensible manner.

It's not really BS though in their case; Black Africans and African Americans cannot be expected to like a figure who oppressed them, obviously.

Also when I say Europeans, this includes European-Americans.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MildredMalone
Why is imperialism seen as a bad thing? Everywhere that's good in the world, is good because we have been there. Even in the middle east, the more tolerable places, like where women don't have to cover up etc., have strong historical links to us.

Ssssh! You can't say that it goes against the simplistic narrative de nos jours.

If you asked Europeans after the fall of Rome in the West what they thought of the Roman Empire you would have heard nothing but contempt.

From our perspective, today, Rome is one of the cornerstones of our entire culture and civilisation.

In two thousand years I suspect the British Empire will have had a similar legacy in Africa, India, the Far East. We are too close to its fall to have proper perspective.
Original post by Des_Lumières
I agree with you, there's no just reason to have a statue of such a despicable individual! What is there to celebrate about his ruthless, cold-bloodedness - who cares if he gave money for scholarships - the guy had a lot of money! Besides, the scholarships were only there to educate people in his image (most of the Rhodes scholarship recipients went on to work for the CS, the gov., or the secret service)!! One couldn't argue that he was funding education for the wider benefit of people at time! There are far nobler individuals in history of whom we should be erecting statues. Statues of individuals like him can be packed away in the dark cellars of museums for later generations to discover the shameful relics of our previous insanities.

So would you tear down most of the buildings in central London which were built on the wealth of colonialism and still have symbols reflecting that history?
Original post by Lady Comstock
So would you tear down most of the buildings in central London which were built on the wealth of colonialism and still have symbols reflecting that history?

Well, obviously there are practical limits and there is remorse and there is denial. I would distinguish between erasing all traces of a frightful past and choosing not to artistically, monumentally pay homage to it. The function and influence of a statue is not identical to that of a building. And whilst i do agree with you that there are buildings in London that can be read as symbols of colonialism, I do not think they communicate the same attitude to past events as a statue does (to the layperson, anyway). It's worth considering that buildings are occupied and take on a lot of their character through this inhabitation. A building can be many different things over the centuries - take the Castle at Dublin - however a person lives and dies and then is defined by who they were (and one can obviously view them diversely).
(edited 8 years ago)
Well, obviously there are practical limits and there is remorse and there is denial. I would distinguish between erasing all traces of a frightful past and choosing not to artistically, monumentally pay homage to it. The function and influence of a statue is not identical to that of a building. And whilst i do agree with you that there are buildings in London that can be read as symbols of colonialism, I do not think they communicate the same attitude to past events as a statue does (to the layperson, anyway). It's worth considering that buildings are occupied and take on a lot of their character through this inhabitation. A building can be many different things over the centuries - take the Castle at Dublin - however a person lives and dies and then is defined by who they were (and one can obviously view them diversely).

So you want to cleanse the country of any historical references you happen to disagree with, but only ones that people who you perceive to be less intelligent would understand? How patronising.

To destroy a statue is an attempt at "erasing all traces of a frightful past'. Where do we draw the line at what is considered artistic homage and destruction?
Original post by Aceadria
To destroy a statue is an attempt at "erasing all traces of a frightful past'. Where do we draw the line at what is considered artistic homage and destruction?

You do realise that no one is saying it should be destroyed. The campaign is asking for it to be moved from a building into a museum where it can be displayed in context.
Original post by PQ
You do realise that no one is saying it should be destroyed. The campaign is asking for it to be moved from a building into a museum where it can be displayed in context.

It can't be removed, it is part of the listed building.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
It can't be removed, it is part of the listed building.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Listed status doesn't mean a building can't be changed - it just means more scrutiny for planning permission.
Original post by PQ
Listed status doesn't mean a building can't be changed - it just means more scrutiny for planning permission.

You need good reason to change it especially when you want to take down the of key reasons it was listed. It wouldn't get permission for "some people don't like it".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PQ

Iconoclasm does not necessarily refer to the physical destruction of the object but also to its context.
Original post by DiddyDec
You need good reason to change it especially when you want to take down the of key reasons it was listed. It wouldn't get permission for "some people don't like it".

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's down to the building owners and the planning authorities (DCLG) - stating that "it can't happen because listed" is overstating the restrictions on altering listed buildings.

The building itself was hated (even by the college that paid for it!) when it was first built: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1046662
"Whatever the actual merits of the design, Champneys' intransigence ensured the building a frosty reception from his clients: already reviled on the drawing board, anticipated with foreboding whilst in progress, it was ridiculed on completion. The Oriel Record for March 1910, includes a frontispiece of the street façade and calls it a 'compromise', as did the college Treasurer, also in print; the Record of September 1911 comments that 'The New Buildings are now a fait accompli, and all that remains is to get accustomed to them'. Other critcisms followed, but Evelyn Waugh trumped them all in 1930, suggesting that 'a very small expenditure on dynamite should be enough to rid us forever of... the High Street front of Oriel..'"

The listing itself refers to Rhodes controversial status in history - I wouldn't be surprised if a thoughtful application for some amendments (including the removal of his statue to a museum) would be approved. Grade II* listed alterations far beyond that and for far sillier reasons have been approved in the past.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending