Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to know what your opinion on this is, I am not sure of what my employers think of me, I am a pessimist at home alone but at interviews I hide my attitude, I know that my attitude is quite bad but don't think they see that in me, I doubt it, I have my suspicions.

Do they judge fairly? From the interviews I've been to so far I would say that I am not seen as having any merit, I rarely impress the employers, but I generally think they overlook what I say and generally do not care. I would say that they probably focus on things like "enthusiasm" and other shallow values.

I find it quite hard to respect them (or what I see of them), to me it just seems that many are prejudiced of what someone is like, they mistake introversion for arrogance apparently, and also if you don't really like being a fake and shallow optimist you will probably not be liked by them, I have this idea that many, if you weren't bursting with optimism like a fag, would probably judge you as being someone miserable. But at my other jobs I have been able to get along with people that treated me fine, I do have good social skills but only around people that I get a sense are friendly.

For some reason like minded people can see value in me, whereas employers I bet couldn't give a damn what I was about, for example you put on your interests "philosophy", they wouldn't care. I also have my suspicions of "anti intellectualism". Britain especially is very anti intellectual, it loves a good bit of nepotism and cronyism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-intellectualism

Saying this, every company I've worked for had always had a similar kind of attitude, even when I worked at the restaurant, the older guy would always say things like "you don't have any common sense.", he would always call me an idiot and I think he literally hated me, they also said I was very slow (even though the boss kept me their for 3 years), I was on the end of a lot of stick. But I don't know what to think of many of these employers, so far I just can't help but think they are full of ****, I don't however say that, I think it's just the norm.

I give off the impression that I am miserable and uptight before getting to know people, but i also think it comes down to the fact that many positions I have applied for have been "Electrical Design Engineer" rather than Junior roles, I just don't really see any chance of getting into the industry, i am close to going onto web development, I've had more positive responses so far.

What have been your experiences, would you agree? It also seemed that most people at college were on basic electronics jobs (£7 an hour), i'd say engineering doesn't really give you that option to progress from "electronics" to "senior electrical design engineer".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NullDrone)
    I want to know what your opinion on this is, I am not sure of what my employers think of me, I am a pessimist at home alone but at interviews I hide my attitude, I know that my attitude is quite bad but don't think they see that in me, I doubt it, I have my suspicions.

Do they judge fairly? From the interviews I've been to so far I would say that I am not seen as having any merit, I rarely impress the employers, but I generally think they overlook what I say and generally do not care. I would say that they probably focus on things like "enthusiasm" and other shallow values.

I find it quite hard to respect them (or what I see of them), to me it just seems that many are prejudiced of what someone is like, they mistake introversion for arrogance apparently, and also if you don't really like being a fake and shallow optimist you will probably not be liked by them, I have this idea that many, if you weren't bursting with optimism like a fag, would probably judge you as being someone miserable. But at my other jobs I have been able to get along with people that treated me fine, I do have good social skills but only around people that I get a sense are friendly.

For some reason like minded people can see value in me, whereas employers I bet couldn't give a damn what I was about, for example you put on your interests "philosophy", they wouldn't care. I also have my suspicions of "anti intellectualism". Britain especially is very anti intellectual, it loves a good bit of nepotism and cronyism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-intellectualism

Saying this, every company I've worked for had always had a similar kind of attitude, even when I worked at the restaurant, the older guy would always say things like "you don't have any common sense.", he would always call me an idiot and I think he literally hated me, they also said I was very slow (even though the boss kept me their for 3 years), I was on the end of a lot of stick. But I don't know what to think of many of these employers, so far I just can't help but think they are full of ****, I don't however say that, I think it's just the norm.

I give off the impression that I am miserable and uptight before getting to know people, but i also think it comes down to the fact that many positions I have applied for have been "Electrical Design Engineer" rather than Junior roles, I just don't really see any chance of getting into the industry, i am close to going onto web development, I've had more positive responses so far.

What have been your experiences, would you agree? It also seemed that most people at college were on basic electronics jobs (£7 an hour), i'd say engineering doesn't really give you that option to progress from "electronics" to "senior electrical design engineer".
    Typically those kind of jobs will require an engineering degree (BEng minimum). Without a BEng it will be extremely difficult to land such jobs because these jobs are technical and require somewhat advanced engineering knowledge. To get such roles without an engineering degree will probably require that you have loads and loads of years of experience to even get close to being hired as a Electrical Design Engineer.

HNC's can also get you into industry however these are very limited and not a lot of places take them....so your best bet would be going to university to complete a BEng degree.

As for employers well like most things it they can be good or bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trapking)
    Typically those kind of jobs will require an engineering degree (BEng minimum). Without a BEng it will be extremely difficult to land such jobs because these jobs are technical and require somewhat advanced engineering knowledge. To get such roles without an engineering degree will probably require that you have loads and loads of years of experience to even get close to being hired as a Electrical Design Engineer.

HNC's can also get you into industry however these are very limited and not a lot of places take them....so your best bet would be going to university to complete a BEng degree.

As for employers well like most things it they can be good or bad.
    I don't think I will complete a degree in EE so I guess it's over for me and EE, better to go into web development, I just see no other way of getting in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.