Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help and advice on weightloss Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi ok so recently I started to make a lifestyle change. I exercise and well and I've gone from 14lbs down to 12stone 11lb. The problem is is I can't tell nor can anyone else. Comparison pictures are no different and clothes fit the same. I'm 5'8 and need to go down to 10 stone. When will I see a difference in inches

ReputationRep:
    1. Eat less
    2. Exercise more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by att0rney)
    1. Eat less
    2. Exercise more

I exercise Monday-Friday. Sometimes attend the gym twice in one day. Weights & cardio.
    • Very Important Poster

Well done on the weight loss. How long did it take? You are doing the right thing.
    What you need is patience. and eventually the loss will show.
    Its often harder for you to see yourself, so maybe take photos every few weeks or months.

You cant choose where the weight loss will come as it tends to happen all over, but measurements are also a good way of showing you are getting smaller.

Keep going and it will show eventually. Trust in the tape measure, how your clothes feel , your gym times and the scales. Consistent deficit is what weight loss is all about.

ReputationRep:
    remember to do things to tone up as well
    weight loss + no toning = sag

ReputationRep:
    If in doubt: http://www.iifym.com/.

ReputationRep:
    If you carry on doing it for longer, you'll see better results.

ReputationRep:
    It might be hard to tell because you've built muscle and are therefore a bit bulkier underneath than before Just carry on going and the fat will eventually disappear, and then you can enjoy the hard-earned muscle tone underneath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angela321xox)
    Hi ok so recently I started to make a lifestyle change. I exercise and well and I've gone from 14lbs down to 12stone 11lb. The problem is is I can't tell nor can anyone else. Comparison pictures are no different and clothes fit the same. I'm 5'8 and need to go down to 10 stone. When will I see a difference in inches
    Heya - it's not clear from your post how much weight you've lost so far How long have you been making this change for? Well done on everything you've achieved so far :woo:

Weightloss happens slowly so you'll need to give it some time. It's important that you don't weigh yourself every day - once a week or less, at the same time of day each time, to get a good idea of the effects. Visibly losing inches might take even longer. Remember you need to think about what you're eating as well as exercise - you don't have to count calories but making small changes to your diet and opting for healthier options makes a big difference.

Obsessing over the physical changes can be pretty demotivating I think. Focus on the other positive benefits you're getting like having more energy, better sleep, less stress etc.

Good luck and don't give up :dumbells:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angela321xox)
    probably losing fat from the places you aren't looking at first

it's also very easy to miss changes in appearance as these things happen slow

keep it up and you will see results
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    It's important that you don't weigh yourself every day - once a week or less, at the same time of day each time, to get a good idea of the effects. Visibly losing inches might take even longer. Remember you need to think about what you're eating as well as exercise - you don't have to count calories but making small changes to your diet and opting for healthier options makes a big difference.

Obsessing over the physical changes can be pretty demotivating I think. Focus on the other positive benefits you're getting like having more energy, better sleep, less stress etc.

Good luck and don't give up :dumbells:
    1. Weighing every day is not always a bad thing. How often you weigh is a personal choice and you have to think whether it will be motivating or demotivating. The Op should think whether she's the type of person to obsess or get anxious if she doesnt lose weight for a few weeks. Its a long term trend that's importnat and not any days reading, but if you start to hot a target where you consistently lose, then it cna motivate some. If she weighs regulalrly then its better to use a weight tracking app , so she can see that weight loss is not linear and can chart her progress.

2. Counting calories is the easiest and most effective way of knowing whether you are at a deficit. For weight loss ist the deficit that matters. For health, then a healthy balanced diet is useful and for fitness use exercise. Both of the latter cna make a diet more effective, but its mostly about how many calories you consume.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.