Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mission: Not So Impossible - blackdiamond97's quest for success Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone I'm currently studying A level maths, economics and government and politics. It's approximately four months until my exams so I want to prove to myself that I'm serious about getting the grades I need for my probable firm, which is PPE at the University of Exeter (AAB).

I'm having serious problems with maths - on my last test I got an E. I believe the reason why is simply because I did not understand the topic tested (integration). The fact that my teacher is useless means that I will have to take matters into my own hands - during half term, I will especially devote revision time to this topic. I would like to achieve an A in the real exam - I believe this is still possible due to me being 3 UMS away from an A last year, and to me (finally!) understanding C3 and the easier parts of C4.

Ideally, I'd like an A* in economics. I did really well for GCSE and AS level economics so I'd like to repeat my success in A2. Finances permitting, I would also like to go into postgraduate study based on economics.

In addition, I would like an A in government and politics. I am currently making notes on all of the topics and hope to finish during the half term so I can start revising them.

The exam boards for all my subjects are Edexcel. My A2 maths units are C3, C4 and S2. My A2 government and politics units are 'Introducing Political Ideologies' and 'Other Ideological Traditions'.

Thank you for reading

ReputationRep:
    If you are struggling with integration, try to get hold of a copy of Stroud, Engineering Mathematics.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-.../dp/1137031204

If you can get hold of it from your local uni library or library I recommend you do that as it is a bit expensive. However, it is one of the few maths books I found that shows you most of the transition steps required to get from problem to solution. By contrast most other maths books seem to gloss over the all important middle steps assuming that you already have understanding of maths and that it is obvious that the solution stems from the problem in 2 lines.

Good luck!

PS - it might be wise to have a couple of plan Bs up your sleeve. Although not impossible to go from an E to a A / B, it is going to require real hard work on your part.
    PPS - do a little maths every day. I found out (much too late) that it is akin to playing a musical instrument. i.e. you can't cram for it the night before as you can with most other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I've been procrastinating all day and I didn't even go to sixth form today :ashamed2: As soon as I post this, however, I'll get my arse off TSR and start with politics revision.

(Original post by ByEeek)
    If you are struggling with integration, try to get hold of a copy of Stroud, Engineering Mathematics.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-.../dp/1137031204

If you can get hold of it from your local uni library or library I recommend you do that as it is a bit expensive. However, it is one of the few maths books I found that shows you most of the transition steps required to get from problem to solution. By contrast most other maths books seem to gloss over the all important middle steps assuming that you already have understanding of maths and that it is obvious that the solution stems from the problem in 2 lines.

Good luck!

PS - it might be wise to have a couple of plan Bs up your sleeve. Although not impossible to go from an E to a A / B, it is going to require real hard work on your part.
    PPS - do a little maths every day. I found out (much too late) that it is akin to playing a musical instrument. i.e. you can't cram for it the night before as you can with most other subjects.
    Thank you for the recommendation, I'll definitely check it out. E to an A/B is quite tough, and it does look a bit aspirational at this point, but hopefully it's not too late. No clue about how typically lenient Exeter is on results day, maybe they'll accept A*AB? Things are looking up with C3 and some parts of C4, and I was pleasantly surprised with S1 last year so maybe I could replicate that with S2.

ReputationRep:
    Update - 08/02/2016

Decided to focus purely on maths today so I can revise economics and politics tomorrow. Started on integration and revised integrating standard functions, integrating using the chain rule, using trigonometric identities in integration and using partial functions to integrate partial fractions. Did do some questions, and I understand why I got some wrong. I feel a little more conformable with this topic, although I am far from being exam ready.

ReputationRep:
    Update - 13/02/2016

I haven't been updating this recently because I haven't done much revision, which is very bad at this time Today I revised two economics topics, and looked over some past papers. I feel very unproductive atm, so tomorrow I hope to do way more than I did today. I think I work better in the morning but yet I love sleeping in which is so irritating.

ReputationRep:
    Update - 15/02/2016

Today I revised the entirety of unit 3 in economics and looked over a past paper, and I'm currently doing my notes on feminism. It's probably my most productive day in a very long while, but I still feel a bit disorganised with my politics notes, hopefully I haven't left it too late

ReputationRep:
    Update - 18/02/2016

I didn't do anything yesterday due to an open day, but I think I more than made up for it today! I revised three topics within unit 4 economics, looked over all past paper questions linked to said topics, did a C3 paper and looked over vectors. Feeling quite proud of myself

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.