Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to 4 unies:City(Cass),Queen Mary,Westminster and UEL.
    I want to study Accountancy and Finance and I have offers from 3 of them;waiting for the City only.
    I just wanted to see ur opinion about the unies?Which one u think is best ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Victoria66)
    I have applied to 4 unies:City(Cass),Queen Mary,Westminster and UEL.
    I want to study Accountancy and Finance and I have offers from 3 of them;waiting for the City only.
    I just wanted to see ur opinion about the unies?Which one u think is best ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Out of those 4, City and Queen Mary would generally be seen as the strongest universities.

However, I would recommend that you go and visit first, make sure you like the place, and that you like the modules.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...urance-choices

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Origami Bullets;62582749]Out of those 4, City and Queen Mary would generally be seen as the strongest universities.

However, I would recommend that you go and visit first, make sure you like the place, and that you like the modules.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...ces[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. City University is a plate glass university gaining university status in the 60's. Other known plate glass universities are Warwick, Bath, Surrey, Brunel, East Anglia etc. Plate glass universities tend to have good academic reputations.

Queen Mary is an older institution. It Merged with Westfield College (founded 1882) in 1989. It then Merged with St Bartholomew's Hospital Medical College (founded 1843) and London Hospital Medical College (founded 1785) in 1995. Awards own degrees since 2013. Royal charter 1934.

Both City and Queen Mary are part of the university of London, which is a very prestigious institution.

Westminster and UEL are both ex-polytechnics and gained university status in 1992 following the Further and Higher Education Act 1992. Ex-polys tend to have a lower reputation compared to "older' universities.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot!
    But what about the unies ,if we leave aside the reputation?How is the life there?Education methods? Teachers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Victoria66)
    Thanks a lot!
    But what about the unies ,if we leave aside the reputation?How is the life there?Education methods? Teachers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Very difficult to answer that question. It would depend on the year and the professor. But for accounting and finance I believe that City and Queen Mary should have good lecturers that know their subject well. These two universities will also do more research.

Life in all these universities should be "similarish" since they are all based in London.

But if I was you, my number one concern is what reputation the university has. I mean you want to study accounting and finance, which means you want to work probably as an accountant or something similar. Ultimately, you want to get a good paid job. If you go to QM or City you have much higher chances of achieving this, then if you go to ex-polys such as UEL or Westminster.

Education methods and teachers are very difficult to identify and quantify and will change from year to year as different lecturers will teach different modules each year. On the other hard reputation is something much more stable. I would go for reputation, in the end you are only going to spend thee years at university but a good paid job is something that will follow you until you retire.

So even if UEL and Westminster had better teachers (which I doubt it) or offer a better life, I would not trade three slightly better years at university for a lower paid job for the rest of my life.

This is something for you to think. If on the other hand, you are more like; I do not care just want to have a good time now and I do not mind earning potentially less in the future, then go to UEL and Westminster. Life is all about choices and preferences, but be aware what consequences your choices will have.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.