Do you remember everything you learn from a university module?

Watch
ScutigeraChris
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've just received 81% for a history assignment on the collapse of the Soviet Union. Whilst I can remember the abstract details, like how a combination of nationalism, unsustainable economic and political policies, Chernobyl and external factors like the collapse of communism in the Eastern Bloc and Reagan's influence but I can't remember the finer details. Is this normal or am I just not learning the information properly?

Likewise I cannot remember the bulk of what I read or what I learn in lectures. I'm a good researcher and I've been told that I'm very knowledgeable but little things like the names of policies, certain dates etc I can't recall without consulting books or notes. Is this normal too?
shawtyb
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
sounds like the same problem i have.
i was starting to think im the opposite of spongy
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i don't even learn it in the first place
She-Ra
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ScutigeraChris)
I've just received 81% for a history assignment on the collapse of the Soviet Union. Whilst I can remember the abstract details, like how a combination of nationalism, unsustainable economic and political policies, Chernobyl and external factors like the collapse of communism in the Eastern Bloc and Reagan's influence but I can't remember the finer details. Is this normal or am I just not learning the information properly?

Likewise I cannot remember the bulk of what I read or what I learn in lectures. I'm a good researcher and I've been told that I'm very knowledgeable but little things like the names of policies, certain dates etc I can't recall without consulting books or notes. Is this normal too?
Wow you nailed it!

You can't be expected to remember everything but being able to write about key theorists and theories, policies, dates, quotes are important.

You sound incredibly knowledgeable. Have you tried setting yourself exam style or essay questions and writing down the key facts, figures and theories you could use in bullet point form? That helped me remember things more clearly.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is why careful note taking, and selective revision notes, are important - ie. when you get round to revision, a simple bullet point should prompt your memory for more detailed stuff from your original notes on a topic. You can't 'remember' everything but you can train your head to file stuff away for when you need it later.

For instance, you list 6 bullet points for the causes of America's entry to WW2, not the detail, so that when you sit down in an exam you can quickly jot down those points and use them as the basis of an answer because these phrases/words remind you of all the other, more complex stuff.

A good book for help with note taking and revising for exams : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Studying-His.../dp/1403987343 Probably available in your Uni library, if not its worth buying a copy.
UWS
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Once the exam finishes my mind clears everything I've learned (which isn't a lot)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads