Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I will be living at home as I live in Nottingham! So what is the support like for students in regard to the work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I live in Derby and I stuided there.

Goods things...
    Lectures are good
    Decent lirbary
    Lots of computers
    Cheap houseing
    Small fairly safe town - stress Derby is a large town, not a city
    Cheap to study
    Fairly easy to find a low paid student job
    Countryside on your door step
    If you have dysliexia there is a lot of support
    They will give you a study buddy - another higher student to be your friend and help you if you are getting really stuck for a few sessions - quite helpful

Bad things...
    The campus is spread out - far from halls
    A lot of students are Derby are already from Derby and so they already have friends - at least it was like that on my course and
    so it made it a bit harder to make friends
    The tutors gave very rushed tutorials - I always felt I was taking up too much of their time
    They sent me on a stuudy abroad program and forgot about me! - I didnt get my grant until I came back home
    They never answer the phone
    Its quite a dull town, a lot of closed down pubs shops and clubs -
    A lot of the students are quite dull

ReputationRep:
    Ahh thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweetEmily)
    Hi,
    I live in Derby and I stuided there.

Goods things...
    Lectures are good
    Decent lirbary
    Lots of computers
    Cheap houseing
    Small fairly safe town - stress Derby is a large town, not a city
    Cheap to study
    Fairly easy to find a low paid student job
    Countryside on your door step
    If you have dysliexia there is a lot of support
    They will give you a study buddy - another higher student to be your friend and help you if you are getting really stuck for a few sessions - quite helpful

Bad things...
    The campus is spread out - far from halls
    A lot of students are Derby are already from Derby and so they already have friends - at least it was like that on my course and
    so it made it a bit harder to make friends
    The tutors gave very rushed tutorials - I always felt I was taking up too much of their time
    They sent me on a stuudy abroad program and forgot about me! - I didnt get my grant until I came back home
    They never answer the phone
    Its quite a dull town, a lot of closed down pubs shops and clubs -
    A lot of the students are quite dull
    What do you study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meganstevenson98)
    I will be living at home as I live in Nottingham! So what is the support like for students in regard to the work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just a different perspective, I have found the support really good tutors reply to my emails within 24 hours, they offer additional tutorials for us but maybe it is different for different courses.

Also most people are from Derby on my course and none of us knew each other, everyone was friendly

ReputationRep:
    Heads up on halls of residence, currently live in Sir Peter Hilton Court and the wifi is dreadful. Can't even get through a youtube video without it trying to reload the page, it drives me crazy. Also although it says there will be no noise after 11pm you'll find that's hardly ever enforced, so that might be either a great plus point for you or a massive turn off. Personally I've found halls of residence incredibly over priced, the staff are less than helpful and mostly see you as an inconvenience (I went to collect post once and was subjected to the Spanish inquisition and told to come back as it wasn't there when I had an email confirmation of it being delivered 3 day ago.) For the amount you pay it really isn't worth it, and they'll argue that you pay this much because it's "secure" but in all honesty I think I've seen the security guy maybe 3 times in the last year, and if you make a noise complaint they usually say "we'll go up and see" followed by the noise continuing. The course itself is okay I guess, though I feel it's been dragged out to try and fill up 3 years so they can really get the money out of you, however there is far too much emphasis on group presentations and group work counting towards your final grades which has really put me off. The city itself is quite nice inside the intuDerby mall, lots of shops and restaurants. The nightlife seems to have really mixed reviews, lots of the 18 year olds seem to think it's crazy and great, but really it's probably okay at best, I found the nightlife back home (Leicester) to be better and that city isn't particularly renowned for it's crazy nights out! Overall this uni (aside from the sports centre which is very good, only just built, although the gym is very overpriced) is probably a 4/10 at best, planning on dropping out next year or at the very least moving back home and commuting to Derby! Do what you will with that info.

ReputationRep:
    I'll back up a lot of what the previous person said about halls except the internet. My internet at Nunnery Court was constant 100Mbps with 1ms ping which is awesome for gaming. Never slowed down at peak times either.As for the noise complaints, I completely agree. They don't do anything about the noise and if you want peace and quiet then the halls aren't for you. Was barely able to sleep between 11pm-4am due to the noise in the courtyard and rooms around me.It's definitely overpriced and I certainly wouldn't recommend it, you can get a fairly decent house with a few friends at a decent price if you look early (oct-nov). Alternatively if you are able to afford monthly rent payments rather than payments just after student loan then you can go with a regular estate agents instead of one like humphreys to get it very cheap.My course (Computer Games Programming) is also the opposite to what the user above said. I feel like a lot of stuff is being missed out and too much condensed into 2 lectures a week per module. I also quite like the city, its not too big which is something I prefer over a huge city. Intu is great and if you like proper pubs then there are plenty to choose from all over the city. The nightlife is ok, it doesn't really rival Nottingham but its alright. I'm not a big fan of clubbing so got bored not long after freshers and haven't been since. They do put on some pretty decent nights for freshers though which I did enjoy.A few of the courses are decent but a lot of the students just seem to be here to avoid the real world for a few more years instead of trying to further their career. I suppose it's dependent on the course, there were people like that on my course but some of the modules weeded a lot of these people out as they're notorious for being very challenging.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.