Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't have it, I'm just curious because I see both sides of the argument as you can pose a serious risk to patients but it can also be discriminatory....

ReputationRep:
    i think they will deny you the course as in the long run they cant allow their patients to be infected with it as well with the potential of death and law suits etc. all too messy for the sake of letting someone do a course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ice_man)
    I don't have it, I'm just curious because I see both sides of the argument as you can pose a serious risk to patients but it can also be discriminatory....
    HIV+ dentist are allowed to practice in the uk as the risk of cross infection is very low. therefore technically universities should not have a bias when choosing between students with or without HIV. however, u never know what goes in their minds.

ReputationRep:
    In 2014 I think they lifted the ban on Hiv+ healthcare workers (including dentists and doctors) from performing surgical procedures. I think there were a few stipulations like the healthcare worker had to be on effective antiretroviral medication, have an undetectable hiv load and have regular monitoring.

Not sure if there's been any update recently about this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    i think they will deny you the course as in the long run they cant allow their patients to be infected with it as well with the potential of death and law suits etc. all too messy for the sake of letting someone do a course
    Actually you're wrong. In 2014 there was a legislative change whereby dentists with HIV can practice as long as they are taking ARVs and have a sufficiently low viral load. The actual risk of transmitting HIV through blood to blood contact is 1 in 300 compared to 1 in 30 for hepatitis B for example.

It's also much less likely that a dentist will transmit anything to a patient as if a dentist gets cut in a dental surgery it's usually from an instrument that has been inside a patient. Once the accident has happened, that instrument is not then going back into the patient. There is much more risk of transmission the other way around and even then the risk is tiny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kartace)
    Actually you're wrong. In 2014 there was a legislative change whereby dentists with HIV can practice as long as they are taking ARVs and have a sufficiently low viral load. The actual risk of transmitting HIV through blood to blood contact is 1 in 300 compared to 1 in 30 for hepatitis B for example.

It's also much less likely that a dentist will transmit anything to a patient as if a dentist gets cut in a dental surgery it's usually from an instrument that has been inside a patient. Once the accident has happened, that instrument is not then going back into the patient. There is much more risk of transmission the other way around and even then the risk is tiny.
    hence me saying "i think"

ReputationRep:
    if u are taking anti retroviral drugs and its basically undetectable in your blood its fine i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    hence me saying "i think"
    Why bother replying to such a specific question unless you have some knowledge about the subject? He didn't ask for people's opinions on whether it should or shouldn't be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought that if you're on antiretrovirals and have an undetectable viral load it should be fine? I've no idea what the official stance is though

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.