Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think students are given enough student finance? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    And where would the extra money come from?
    Tax, the same place the money always comes from. It would make more sense to have a flat rate of loans rather than a tiered system.

ReputationRep:
    I see how it can work out horribly for some people but I can see the sense in it in some aspects. People with very very rich parents get less of a student loan because their parents have a much greater disposable income than those whose parents earn below £25,000 a year, such as mine. These rich parents and their disposable income are expected to financially help their son/daughter whereas my parents cannot financially help me and support themselves at the same time, hence I need the student loan that I will be getting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Tax, the same place the money always comes from. It would make more sense to have a flat rate of loans rather than a tiered system.
    Then what about people with rich parents who will have an obscene amount of money!
    Life is unfair mate, stop whining

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackSweetness)
    Then what about people with rich parents who will have an obscene amount of money!
    Life is unfair mate, stop whining
    What about the people who get grants which they never have to pay back?

The threshold for means tested is £42,600. That is actually a very small amount if both of your parents work even the most basic jobs or you have sibling who works and lives at home. Allowing the student to get a maximum of about £3250.

The average student rent is about £5000. So parents would have to put in an extra £2000 plus living costs which is estimated to be a further £2000. So £4000 a year to allow just one on your children to university. That is a lot of money for most people.

Don't give your "life is unfair" ****. This is a conversation about student loans if you don't want to discuss then leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    What about the people who get grants which they never have to pay back?

The threshold for means tested is £42,600. That is actually a very small amount if both of your parents work even the most basic jobs or you have sibling who works and lives at home. Allowing the student to get a maximum of about £3250.

The average student rent is about £5000. So parents would have to put in an extra £2000 plus living costs which is estimated to be a further £2000. So £4000 a year to allow just one on your children to university. That is a lot of money for most people.

Don't give your "life is unfair" ****. This is a conversation about student loans if you don't want to discuss then leave.
    What your saying is Everyone should get a flat rate, the same throughout which is just ridiculous! University is not meant to be free, i understand that there are exceptions, which is why i would recommend some sort of means tested grant system to even things out. But your whole 'everyone should get the same' argument is just flawed and stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackSweetness)
    What your saying is Everyone should get a flat rate, the same throughout which is just ridiculous! University is not meant to be free, i understand that there are exceptions, which is why i would recommend some sort of means tested grant system to even things out. But your whole 'everyone should get the same' argument is just flawed and stupid
    Grants would still be available to those who are really worse off but overall it would be a much fairer system.

ReputationRep:
    I believe it should be based on wealth not income, and with other factors added.

My friends with the lowest income at Uni seem to have the best time because they get additional grants which they just spend back home for going out, whereas my friends with higher income also have multiple siblings so the amount of money left over for his parents to give to him is less than my other friends. The former friend's parents are also home-owners so they don't need to worry about rent either.

Like for myself, I can't get the highest amount of loan due to my parents income despite the fact they need to pay rent and pay for nursery for my sister etc. so at the end of the day they don't really have as much as they earn. I mean I will probably be able to cope at Uni, but I'd say the system is somewhat flawed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.