The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Want to firm Chester but ...

...I'm really picky about accommodation and Chester doesn't let you be picky. I read that you can only choose the type of board (catered, self catered etc) you want and that's it, you don't get to show preferences for any of the individual halls. This is putting me off Chester massively because as much as I love the uni and city, I would only want to go there if I could live in either Bridge St Row or De Bunsen halls (as I'm studying primary ed and want to be near the riverside building).

But it doesn't look like I have any choice in this whatsoever so I don't know what to do. I really, really wouldn't want to live anywhere else in first year:s-smilie: If I knew I'd be put in any of the other halls then I wouldn't firm Chester because where I'll be living is very important to me.:sad:

Has anyone else felt like this about Chester before? Or anyone got any experience in applying for accommodation at Chester?
Found out that because I live less than 30 miles away, I'm unlikely to get accommodation anyway...:indiff:
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Found out that because I live less than 30 miles away, I'm unlikely to get accommodation anyway...:indiff:

:console:
You could find private accommodation in the area you want to live in.
Original post by ByronicHero
You could find private accommodation in the area you want to live in.

I don't want that stress. I want to be in halls.
...I'm really picky about accommodation and Chester doesn't let you be picky. I read that you can only choose the type of board (catered, self catered etc) you want and that's it, you don't get to show preferences for any of the individual halls. This is putting me off Chester massively because as much as I love the uni and city, I would only want to go there if I could live in either Bridge St Row or De Bunsen halls (as I'm studying primary ed and want to be near the riverside building).

But it doesn't look like I have any choice in this whatsoever so I don't know what to do. I really, really wouldn't want to live anywhere else in first year:s-smilie: If I knew I'd be put in any of the other halls then I wouldn't firm Chester because where I'll be living is very important to me.:sad:

Has anyone else felt like this about Chester before? Or anyone got any experience in applying for accommodation at Chester?

where does it say this?

Hi, just wanted to clear up any confusion about our accommodation.
Whilst we cannot guarantee accommodation, last year all our applicants who wanted accommodation were offered a place in University-managed accommodation. We expect this to be the same this year.
As for specific accommodation we can't guarantee particular halls but we try to take into account the campus that students will be studying at when allocating rooms.
If you have any other questions feel free to contact our Accommodation Office on 01244 513000. :smile:
Original post by University of Chester
Hi, just wanted to clear up any confusion about our accommodation.
Whilst we cannot guarantee accommodation, last year all our applicants who wanted accommodation were offered a place in University-managed accommodation. We expect this to be the same this year.
As for specific accommodation we can't guarantee particular halls but we try to take into account the campus that students will be studying at when allocating rooms.
If you have any other questions feel free to contact our Accommodation Office on 01244 513000. :smile:

Thanks for that. I'm still sad though, I don't really want to run the risk of not getting accommodation specifically near Riverside, if I get any accommodation at all. :sad: I have bad anxiety and want my first year at uni to be as stress-free as possible:cry:
Thanks for that. I'm still sad though, I don't really want to run the risk of not getting accommodation specifically near Riverside, if I get any accommodation at all. :sad: I have bad anxiety and want my first year at uni to be as stress-free as possible:cry:

Hello again. It may be worth discussing your individual circumstances with the Accommodation team. They will be best placed to let you know what options are available.Good luck :smile:
Hi :smile: I understand your worry but I feel like this isn't a unique situation to Chester, many Universities work with this system because its not physically possible to give everyone their first choice accommodation. That said, as you're at riverside they will be more accommodating, if you speak to the accommodation team regularly and they know your name then I'm sure they will do their very best for you. I think that Chester is such a great University that it would be a shame for you to not go here just because of first year accommodation. If you were in different accommodation from your first choice, what would be your main concerns?
Reply 10
I am worried about the accommodation situation too but it hasn't put me off I have still put Chester as my firm choice😊 Is it best if we call the accommodation team after we apply in March ? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've applied direct for my accommodation, the new halls opening, Fontessa House and its looks lovely!! Cannot wait for September now! its literally a few minutes walk from the campus too!
Reply 12
Oh that sounds good I'll have to look into that😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jade79
I am worried about the accommodation situation too but it hasn't put me off I have still put Chester as my firm choice😊 Is it best if we call the accommodation team after we apply in March ? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, you can call the Accommodation Team on 01244 513000 or email: [email protected] :smile:
Reply 14
I'm in the same situation, I wanted to be De Bunsen but I suppose they'll put you close to the campus you're studying at so fingers crossed.

Quick Reply