Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone here who can help me?
    I have a GCSE French speaking exam soon but I am unable to chose a good image to talk about (this is for EDEXCEL CERTIFICATE) and I really want to get an A*, so is there anyone who can kindly show me or direct me to a good picture that I can use in my exam? Preferably anyone who has been through this situation and has got an A/A*, be it French Spanish or German???
    Please reply ASAP...
    ANY help will greatly be appreciated!
    H

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.cool)
    Is there anyone here who can help me?
    I have a GCSE French speaking exam soon but I am unable to chose a good image to talk about (this is for EDEXCEL CERTIFICATE) and I really want to get an A*, so is there anyone who can kindly show me or direct me to a good picture that I can use in my exam? Preferably anyone who has been through this situation and has got an A/A*, be it French Spanish or German???
    Please reply ASAP...
    ANY help will greatly be appreciated!
    H
    Hey there, I got A* in my French oral for GCSE and I'm currently studying it for A Level. I was also on the Edexcel exam board, however, I'm not sure what you mean by choosing a good image to talk about. For my year, we had three separate oral exams and each one was on a different topic... Is this for a new course?

ReputationRep:
    No it's not - did you do the Edexcel Certificate one just edexcel? It sounds to me that they might be different in terms of exams. How did it take place? (In other words, what did the three oral exam consist of you doing? e.g. roleplay, coversation, use of picture, oral questions)
    Also, could you by any chance give me some help? I was wondering if you knew some good phrases to use in the my writing exam? (have to write approximately 150 words)
    What was your overall grade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katycheung)
    Hey there, I got A* in my French oral for GCSE and I'm currently studying it for A Level. I was also on the Edexcel exam board, however, I'm not sure what you mean by choosing a good image to talk about. For my year, we had three separate oral exams and each one was on a different topic... Is this for a new course?
    No it's not - did you do the Edexcel Certificate one just edexcel? It sounds to me that they might be different in terms of exams. How did it take place? (In other words, what did the three oral exam consist of you doing? e.g. roleplay, coversation, use of picture, oral questions)
    Also, could you by any chance give me some help? I was wondering if you knew some good phrases to use in the my writing exam? (have to write approximately 150 words)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, mine was solely on the Edexcel board... The first exam was an interview, second was a presentation followed by questions and the third was a discussion. My overall grade was an A (Reading and Speaking A* and then A's in the Writing and LIstening).
    Sure I'd be more than happy to help.
    As you know, you need to include opinions and justify them etc so some useful phrases you could incorporate into your work could be;
    'J'estime que' - I believe that
    'Sans réserve, je suis de l'avis que' - Without reserve, I am of the opinion that
    'Je suis d'accord' - I agree with
    Also, make sure you use subject specific vocabulary to show what you know. Remember key phrases from texts you study in class and so on

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good

There are 2 things that I would like to ask you (for the time being)
    1) Do you know any more useful french phrases, specific vocab (complex) which you used in your writing exam, or IDIOMS (which I have heard will get the user lots of marks)
    2) Do you have any other resources (perhaps A-level?) that would help me with the Speaking, Reading Listening or Writing exam???
    Thanks for the help in advance!!!!

Sorry to put you through this stress!

)

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good

1) Do you know any more useful french phrases, specific vocab (complex) which you used in your writing exam, or IDIOMS (which I have heard will get the user lots of marks)
    2) Do you have any other resources (perhaps A-level?) that would help me with the Speaking, Reading Listening or Writing exam???

)
    In terms of the picture, something related to one of the topics, something that you think you can describe for one minute. Make sure you're happy talking about the topic - in this case, it's a good idea to choose your best topic for the picture because then you're guaranteed it will come up (and there's a small chance you'll avoid your least favourite topic )

Idioms are not good - they only show that you can regurgitate phrases with little or no regard to the grammar etc. you're using. Instead, you'll want idiomatic phrases (i.e. they don't translate literally - it could be something as simple as "j'ai" instead of "je suis" because of a dramatic and unfortunate change in meaning...).

If I recall correctly, the writing section has a choice of three questions, each with four bullet points to address (correct me if I'm talking about the wrong exam board...), which lead you nicely into using a variety of grammar. Make sure you are confident using those. If your teacher has given you vocab lists, revise them, and make sure you highlight synonyms. It's tedious, but invaluable once you get into an exam. During the listening paper, use your preparation time wisely. Make sure, before you start the question, that you know exactly what it's looking for. And again, be aware of synonyms.

At the end of the day, the more practise you get, the better you'll be. So if you can find a friend to revise with, you can practise speaking (even better would be a native speaker but I appreciate that is not always feasible). There should also be plenty of past papers around for the other sections. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good

)
    Hey, I completely agree with leahdw's advice!
    Idioms can be a nice touch, however they can be easily be misconstrued so it's probably safer not to use them. Just make sure to use plenty of subject specific vocab and phrases like the ones I listed in my last reply.
    In terms of A level resources, my teacher always sends me our lesson PowerPoints so we can revise from them... is there someway to share them on here?? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks leah

(Original post by leahdw)
    In terms of the picture, something related to one of the topics, something that you think you can describe for one minute. Make sure you're happy talking about the topic - in this case, it's a good idea to choose your best topic for the picture because then you're guaranteed it will come up (and there's a small chance you'll avoid your least favourite topic )

Idioms are not good - they only show that you can regurgitate phrases with little or no regard to the grammar etc. you're using. Instead, you'll want idiomatic phrases (i.e. they don't translate literally - it could be something as simple as "j'ai" instead of "je suis" because of a dramatic and unfortunate change in meaning...).

If I recall correctly, the writing section has a choice of three questions, each with four bullet points to address (correct me if I'm talking about the wrong exam board...), which lead you nicely into using a variety of grammar. Make sure you are confident using those. If your teacher has given you vocab lists, revise them, and make sure you highlight synonyms. It's tedious, but invaluable once you get into an exam. During the listening paper, use your preparation time wisely. Make sure, before you start the question, that you know exactly what it's looking for. And again, be aware of synonyms.

At the end of the day, the more practise you get, the better you'll be. So if you can find a friend to revise with, you can practise speaking (even better would be a native speaker but I appreciate that is not always feasible). There should also be plenty of past papers around for the other sections. Good luck!
    (Original post by katycheung)
    Hey, I completely agree with leahdw's advice!
    Idioms can be a nice touch, however they can be easily be misconstrued so it's probably safer not to use them. Just make sure to use plenty of subject specific vocab and phrases like the ones I listed in my last reply.
    In terms of A level resources, my teacher always sends me our lesson PowerPoints so we can revise from them... is there someway to share them on here?? :lolwut:
    Thanks for the advice, leah and katy - Leah you are completely right - that is part of what I have to do in my french speaking exam! Did you do this before??? If you have, then could you perhaps send it to me through this? (TSR)
    Could you give me some examples of idiomatic phrases that I can use for the writing exam too?
    Katy, I'm pretty sure you can, but I don't know how to... sorry.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.