Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could you be in a long term relationship with a person that makes a minimum wage sala Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A 10 page thread, for what basically amounts to Trolling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Of course humans have faults, it's how they deal with those fault that matter.

Never said you were and frankly don't understand why you insinuated I am racist despite me never having commented on race on this thread nor have I said anything racist on this forum.

But tsr and the real world are two different things, I mean I know at some point you had a negative view or opinion in your head, that you would rather not share.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    How on earth is that homophobic, I mean even in a gay household, one partner has to take on the leading role.
    Not necessarily. Relationships should be equal. Often one partner will earn more but that doesn't make them the 'provider'. And that doesn't necessarily go by gender or how 'masculine'/'feminine each person in the relationship is. Queer relationships don't have to 'mirror' traditional, heteronormative, oppressive ideas of relationships. It is possible to have a relationship where no-one identifies as a man. It's possible to have a relationship where no-one feels they are 'masculine'. It's possible to have a relationship where someone who feels they are 'masculine' doesn't take a traditional 'male role' for whatever reason.

ReputationRep:
    But tsr and the real world are two different things, I mean I know at some point you had a negative view or opinion in your head, that you would rather not share.
    of course they are? I never implied there weren't so I fail to see why you brought that up.

Of course I have had negative views in the past, the thing is opinions change. And I readily and often do hold my hands up and admit that yes something I said lets say 4 years ago was wrong and my opinion has changed.

I have never pretended to be the best person or to know everything. I readily admit that as I go through life my opinions and views change (though my values and who I am as a person have stayed rather consistent), but that does not take away from the fact I can still disagree and abhor some views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    They've probably dodged a bullet with you then
    Savage af.

ReputationRep:
    A man is meant to provide and be the bread winner
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Savage af.
    I regret nothing

ReputationRep:
    Of course I would! And try my best to make a lot of money for the both of us.

ReputationRep:
    of course they are? I never implied there weren't so I fail to see why you brought that up.

Of course I have had negative views in the past, the thing is opinions change. And I readily and often do hold my hands up and admit that yes something I said lets say 4 years ago was wrong and my opinion has changed.

I have never pretended to be the best person or to know everything. I readily admit that as I go through life my opinions and views change (though my values and who I am as a person have stayed rather consistent), but that does not take away from the fact I can still disagree and abhor some views.

But my views are harmless and they're not even remotely abhorrent.
    Compared to what normally gets posted on comment sections on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PangXie)
    Why?

Its a traditional role that has been working for decades

ReputationRep:
    But my views are harmless and they're not even remotely abhorrent.
    Compared to what normally gets posted on comment sections on the internet.
    Depends what you classify as abhorrent and harmful.

One persons view often is not harmful, but when it's the view of many it can become a problem and it can become harmful and restrict the freedom of others. When you have a large group of people for example voting for a country to be run under a specific religion and ostracising those who don;t follow it, or when you have a country which advocates apartheid or few rights for women ect.

So while your views may not directly impact others, they can become a problem if they become wide spread and if people with views like yours believe their views should dictate the lives of others. That is what I have a problem with. And that is why I don't respect many of your views, because they are views I view as oppressive and backwards which I think have no place in this day and age.

ReputationRep:
    Its a traditional role that has been working for decades
    "Black men labouring as slaves for white men was a traditional role that worked for decades."

Valid reason to continue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PangXie)
    "Black men labouring as slaves for white men was a traditional role that worked for decades."

Valid reason to continue?

Now, we do not even have to go there.
    Why would you even take the subject to that level?
    Slavery was and is barbaric a act, and I am ashamed of my country involvement.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you classify as abhorrent and harmful.

One persons view often is not harmful, but when it's the view of many it can become a problem and it can become harmful and restrict the freedom of others. When you have a large group of people for example voting for a country to be run under a specific religion and ostracising those who don;t follow it, or when you have a country which advocates apartheid or few rights for women ect.

So while your views may not directly impact others, they can become a problem if they become wide spread and if people with views like yours believe their views should dictate the lives of others. That is what I have a problem with. And that is why I don't respect many of your views, because they are views I view as oppressive and backwards which I think have no place in this day and age.

It is not oppressive when lots of women are happy to become a housewife.
    I cannot force a woman to be my house wife, but if marriage would come into play then I would expect for her to fulfil her duties when needed.
    I do not believe in dictatorship, and freedom of speech is a must

ReputationRep:
    Now, we do not even have to go there.
    Why would you even take the subject to that level?
    Slavery was and is barbaric a act, and I am ashamed of my country involvement.
    Because it's an example of a role which was traditionally assigned, which people said should be continued because it's "how things are supposed to be" - which is what you're saying regarding men being the breadwinners. But logically there's no reason why a black man should be a slave for a white man, or why a man should earn more than his female partner, except for "tradition". Which, by your own admission, leads to barbaric acts which people are ashamed of, so clearly we can't trust tradition to make our choices for us.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is officially becoming a vehicle to release inner frustrations and fear...

I was 5 .. I wanted this little white car!!! I didnt get that for Christmas!!!
    SANTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA¬ NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~ T.T

ReputationRep:
    It is not oppressive when lots of women are happy to become a housewife.
    I cannot force a woman to be my house wife, but if marriage would come into play then I would expect for her to fulfil her duties when needed.
    I do not believe in dictatorship, and freedom of speech is a must

Wanting your partner to be a traditional housewife is one thing. Saying that is how it "should" be is another entirely.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't really matter with the money, as long as I earn enough. However it depends how interesting they are. Someone working in a boring dead end job wouldn't be very interesting to me, unless they have something else going on in their life.

ReputationRep:
    Wanting your partner to be a traditional housewife is one thing. Saying that is how it "should" be is another entirely.

Okay Sophie, but how about we forget about my previous comments and we start a new leaf.

ReputationRep:
    Okay Sophie, but how about we forget about my previous comments and we start a new leaf.
    Dismissing my point then ey? That's what you tend to do when you're can't explain your way out of your views or adequately give a rebuttal to another's argument.

Why? I fail to see the point. For as long as you have the views you have I simply cannot respect you, and you can be as bothered by that as you like I don't really care. But when you're constantly making the threads and comments you do I find it silly for you to complain when people disagree with or don't like you and your views.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.