Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could you be in a long term relationship with a person that makes a minimum wage sala Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    Easily. An individual on minimum wage is no less worthy than someone in a position of a senior or director.
    Worthy of what?

ReputationRep:
    Of course I would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
    I am not living my life on benefits
    You hope. I had every reason to suppose the same at your age, but destiny had other ideas! We make the most of the hand life deals us

The rent you paid is for somewhere 'near' Londom not comparable to central London or further out zones 2-4
    Never said it was m'dear

There is NOWHERE in London where a family home costs the £200/month you paid
    Never said that either (you mentioned £2520/month, and I quoted in response to that comment)

So basically you're saying "oh there's no reason to not want to be with someone on minimum wage as long as you sacrifice everything you have always wanted! Not a big deal!"
    1. Self-evidently that is not what I am saying

2. If "everything you ever wanted" consists of, or is contingent upon, material wealth then that's cool but you'll find that this only tends to apply to sociopaths (you'll fit right into the working environment/culture in 'the city' if this really applies to you [I don't suppose for a moment that it does])

Like everything you're saying is just showing me more reasons why not to date someone on minimum wage
    I wouldn't expect girls (with ambition) to actively seek to date guys on the minimum wage e.g. as a matter of routine, but what I've been communicating is that couples can manage misfortune, even if it means scraping by, and that level headed, wise, women often see the man first, and the money as a secondary, or even a peripheral, concern :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    Well by that age, you either obtained or are obtaining a career, plus you should have the employment experience and the skills to make above the minimum wage.

Minimum wage is for school leavers and for the least skilled of people.
    They lack the individual passion.
    Passion isn't necessarily just employment. They could be skilled in art/ drama/ music, and enjoy devoting more of their efforts to that. I'd rather have a happy partner than a rich one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutellme)
    Worthy of what?
    There are people who look down on someone who, e.g. works as a cleaner but applaud someone who's CEO of the company or something. Both of them do a job, doesn't matter what kind of it, but that doesn't mean that others can say that the cleaner is less worthy as an individual than the CEO. Usually, people in lower chain jobs have to go through a lot of hell, not saying that people in higher positions didn't have to go through a lot too.. However, in some countries someone can get into a higher position without required skills but with a help of a relative or a friend.

ReputationRep:
    Minimum wage sala......Hahaha.

Even better when read in an Indian accent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayhem™)
    *shots fired*
    He's right. Hope no one thinks they're going into something real with the OP with a personality like that. (Your post says a lot about you) money doesn't mean **** explained in my next post...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucarious30)
    The amount of money someone makes shouldn't differ as to how they make you feel. If you really like the person (enough to be in a relationship with them) then you shouldn't turn them down because of their job?
    First of all, if you were really educated then you'd know that earning minimum wage is determined by much more than the persons skills. ESPECIALLY BY AGE 21 ! 21 is such a young age. Almost Every student earns minimum wage working in pubs bars etc . Get a grip.

If one of the attributes you like seeing in a partner is ambition then judge on their work ethic not salary... Two different things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomanKing)
    He's right. Hope no one thinks they're going into something real with the OP with a personality like that. (Your post says a lot about you) money doesn't mean **** explained in my next post...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're definitely out of order

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
    Idk... I want to be with an intellectual; someone educated who I can have intelligent conversations with and is interested in similar things as me. If they are in a minimum wage job then that probably means they haven't even been to university. It may seem judgemental but having a good education is important to me. Also (assuming i earn a good salary) I would feel weird earning a lot more than my partner. I would want us to be earning roughly the same.

However I'm still in school so I guess by the term I'm an adult in my 20s and actually having proper long-term relationships I may have changed my mind.
    Out of curiosity since I think you raised a pretty interesting point:
    What about folks with a passion for a subject which has a low employability? I.e geography, sociology, arts etc (fyi examples pulled out of ass). I mean folks can come out of doing degrees such as these and, especially nowadays, may still be stuck on the bottom rung at either minimum wage or entry level retail management(<£20k).

In my personal experience the amount you earn and even your education level tends to not have a huge bearing on how intelligent the individual is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayhem™)
    *shots fired*
    *puts on his Matrix suit¬ *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Of course I would.
    Faith in humanity restored!! ~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAElite)
    Out of curiosity since I think you raised a pretty interesting point:
    What about folks with a passion for a subject which has a low employability? I.e geography, sociology, arts etc (fyi examples pulled out of ass). I mean folks can come out of doing degrees such as these and, especially nowadays, may still be stuck on the bottom rung at either minimum wage or entry level retail management(<£20k).

In my personal experience the amount you earn and even your education level tends to not have a huge bearing on how intelligent the individual is.
    Them being educated would be a point in their favour. my wanting them to be educated wasn't about income. As long as they were educated at a top university in an academic subject (so having a degree in something like travel and tourism doesn't count to me).

But if they were on minimum wage (c.£13,000/annum) then I still wouldn't be with them in a long-term relationship for the other reasons I said, it's just not feasible. But £20-25k is okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Joker ~)
    Faith in humanity restored!! ~
    You can't judge someone's personality based on their wage. I'm looking for someone with the right personality, not the right sized bank account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    You can't judge someone's personality based on their wage. I'm looking for someone with the right personality, not the right sized bank account.

Deep down you're looking for both, as you need a man that can provide and make you happy.
    Your family would not approve of a man that is struggling and has no direction.
    You do not want to be in a position un which you make a bigger amount of income, and make your bf or husband feel less of a man.
    I just struggle in how a couple can be happy in a minimum wage salary.

ReputationRep:
    Deep down you're looking for both, as you need a man that can provide and make you happy.
    You do not want to be in a position un which you make a bigger amount of income, and make your bf or husband feel less of a man.
    I don't need 'a man'. I don't need a provider. I don't want to be a relationship with anyone who cares about traditional gender roles.

And my family have no say in who I date. Their opinion is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Why did even you bother asking people the question in the OP if you are just going to dismiss their answers and tell them what they think and feel is wrong?

Honestly, you constantly do this it's just embarrassing now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Why did even you bother asking people the question in the OP if you are just going to dismiss their answers and tell them what they think and feel is wrong?

Honestly, you constantly do this it's just embarrassing now.

I am just telling her the truth, as deep down she knows that money is important in a relationship.
    No woman wants a poor man

ReputationRep:
    I can... I am assuming with a minimum wage job, they'd also not be worked over-time much.

So they'd have more time for me

ReputationRep:
    I am just telling her the truth, as deep down she knows that money is important in a relationship.
    No woman wants a poor man
    Here you go again, stating you know better than she does what she thinks.

I don't give a flying donkey's anus about how much money my partner earns, I don't even care if I'm the sole provider. That is my opinion and how I feel and nothing you say devalues that, you don't know SmallTownGirl or me better than we know ourselves.

So I will ask again since you couldn't seem to answer before, why bother asking the question in the OP if you're just going to dismiss anyone who disagrees with your views?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.