Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could you be in a long term relationship with a person that makes a minimum wage sala Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    Okay, cool that is your lifestyle choice, see I have accepted your view.
    Now I can guarantee you that I am none of those things, I might bea bit classist and have some mild sexist views but I am not a bigot or a racist or a homophobe

"I'm none of those things" then goes on to say actually yeah a bit sexist... okay. Your views say otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    I find it interesting that you do not want the financial and social securities in life.
    And why can she not provide her own financial security? Why does a man need to do it for her?

ReputationRep:
    Never. I have standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    Exactly. A lot of the responses on here are coming from 16-21 year old kids who have an idealistic view of the world that if you go to university automatically = a high paying great job. Had they been in the job market properly they would realise that any job is better than no job and its not that easy to find a high paying job anymore - too much competition. Id rather my man have ANY job than no job at all, it just proves hes not a job snob and with do anything to support his family. I don't earn a lot of money because my choice of career does not offer so, but I work damn hard and proud of what I do.

But how would you and partner live a comfortable life?
    A relationship cannot last without financial security.

ReputationRep:
    People's views on comfortable differ massively. What might be comfortable to you might not be comfortable for someone else. And what is comfortable for me might not be comfortable for you.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my partner are financially stable? Any body, even the CEO of NASA could lose their job tomorrow or the next day, it could happen to anybody. My partner lost his job 2 weeks before xmas last year and we survived. And we both live a comfortable life. We don't need a massive house and flash cars, we're happy with what we have - although a holiday wouldn't go amiss hah, but this is our choice not to save up for this, not because we couldn't afford to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    "I'm none of those things" then goes on to say actually yeah a bit sexist... okay. Your views say otherwise.

But we all have some sort of view or opinion, but it does not make to be bad people.

I am transparent enough to admit, and say yes, but in a nutshell my views are not extremist nor dangerous.
    I bet you might be more judgemental and even racist

ReputationRep:
    But we all have some sort of view or opinion, but it does not make to be bad people.
    I am transparent enough to admit, and say yes, but in a nutshell my views are not extremist nor dangerous.
    Depends on what people view as bad. I'm not exactly delusional enough to think you're as bad as ISIS or the KKK. But in my opinion because of your views and attitudes towards people, while I wouldn't class you as a "bad person" I don't view you as decent either.

ReputationRep:
    And why can she not provide her own financial security? Why does a man need to do it for her?

A man is meant to provide and be the bread winner

ReputationRep:
    I bet you might be more judgemental and even racist
    I'm definitely judgemental, but then so are we all. But I judge people on their actions, how they treat other people and whether I view their opinions as moral. I do not view you as moral.

I'm certainly not racist, I find racism abhorrent and I would never and have never treated or viewed people differently on the grounds of race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    Me and my partner are financially stable? Any body, even the CEO of NASA could lose their job tomorrow or the next day, it could happen to anybody. My partner lost his job 2 weeks before xmas last year and we survived. And we both live a comfortable life. We don't need a massive house and flash cars, we're happy with what we have - although a holiday wouldn't go amiss hah, but this is our choice not to save up for this, not because we couldn't afford to.

He could lose his job, but finding another job would be easy, plus he would get a huge payoff.
    Couples ate meant to live, and not survive and get by, as you're not a single parent on welfare.

ReputationRep:
    That is your view based on arbitrary tradition and gender roles.

Not everyone myself included agrees with that view, there is no logical reason for women to be unable to provide.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's misogynistic and homophobic.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they'd be making more than me lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely judgemental, but then so are we all. But I judge people on their actions, how they treat other people and whether I view their opinions and moral.

I'm certainly not racist, I find racism abhorrent and I would never and have never treated or viewed people differently on the grounds of race.

I think that makes more of a human being, as humans have faults.
    But I am not excusing racism

ReputationRep:
    I think that makes more of a human being, as humans have faults.
    But I am not excusing racism
    Of course humans have faults, it's how they deal with those fault that matter.

Never said you were and frankly don't understand why you insinuated I am racist despite me never having commented on race on this thread nor have I said anything racist on this forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Well that's misogynistic and homophobic.

How on earth is that homophobic, I mean even in a gay household, one partner has to take on the leading role.

ReputationRep:
    He could lose his job, but finding another job would be easy, plus he would get a huge payoff.
    Couples ate meant to live, and not survive and get by, as you're not a single parent on welfare.
    But he's not in a high paying job, which is the whole point in this thread. His job is in demand but it doesn't pay well. And he didnt get paid off because he was classed as self employed but working with another company. The work just dried up. We do live, we go out all the time, we don't struggle at all, some people have different ideas on what makes them happy. What might be a comfortable lifestyle to you may not be the same for me, and vice versa. I dont need extravagant carpets/furnishings, 10 holidays a year, meals out every week to be happy. Its personal preference. We both work bloody hard and do what makes us happy, thats good enough for me.

ReputationRep:
    That is your view based on arbitrary tradition and gender roles.

Not everyone myself included agrees with that view, there is no logical reason for women to be unable to provide.

I have never said that a woman could not provide, but in the majority of households, the man is the breadwinner.

ReputationRep:
    I have never said that a woman could not provide, but in the majority of households, the man is the breadwinner.
    You said that men are meant to provide.
    There is no logical reason for that any more, that's purely traditional.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.