The Student Room Group

Road to GCSE Success

:elefant: So finally, my first entry for GYG :elefant:

I was slightly happy to see this, in my first year of TSR, because it means I will be more motivated to actually revise when recording my results and what I'm doing :smile:
I'm taking GCSE's, in my final year of secondary school, and because I'm a pretty laid-back person I'm not too worried or nervous, just more panicked that I won't fit all my revision in by three months time!

Qualifications I already have
iGCSE Cambridge Edexcel - English Literature - A*

Qualifications I am doing (with the results I hope for)
GCSE Edexcel - Maths - A*
GCSE AQA - French - A*
GCSE AQA - Geography - A*
iGCSE Cambridge Edexcel - English Language - A*
Edexcel Level 3 EPQ (like an AS level-ish) - Philosophy - A*
GCSE AQA - Religious Studies - A/A*
GCSE Edexcel - Biology (Triple) - A/A*
GCSE Edexcel - Physics (Triple) - B/A
GCSE Edexcel - Chemistry (Triple) - B/A

My excuse for the science grades is we haven't had a teacher for 6 months and the inconsistency of the department is shocking lol

I plan (and have started to) revise two hours a day on weekdays, and three hours a day on weekends - this is an hour per subject and the reason being is because I want to revise science everyday because obviously it is behind all my other subjects and I want to bring that up, but then needing to revise everything else to. In March I will be upping these times by an hour, so it will be four hours on weekdays and six hours on weekends.

Aspirations and Further Education
I plan to go to Sixth Form, to which I have applied to four. One of them is a private school and I would need a scholarship to go there (I have done the scholarship exams) so if I do get the scholarship, that will obviously be my first choice.

I plan on studying; English Literature, French, Psychology and either Biology or Politics (depending on my grade in biology)

I then plan on going to University to do a BPS Psychology Doctorate for 4 years and then a post-grad in Clinical Psychology for 2 years in aid to becoming a Clinical Psychologist (this is why I should take A-Level Biology)

8/2/16
Today has been a pretty chilled day at school, two lessons were covered, two lessons were PE and one lesson was just a debrief of an RE exam we did on Friday. Tonight, according to my timetable I should revise maths and biology, so I'm going to start with making a poster for B1.1 for Biology and I think I'm going to focus on parallel and perpendicular lines for maths because I was pretty ill when we were taught it and when it came to the test I realised I didn't have a clue haha
This looks great, make sure you keep us updated :awesome:
Reply 2
Original post by Gingerbread101
This looks great, make sure you keep us updated :awesome:

I will, thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Day 2: 9th February 2016

To-do List:
1) Catch up on the kidney lesson I missed from biology
2) Re-write assignment 2 of English CW
3) Start on French writing CW

Today has been a good but slightly exhausting day. First lesson; IAG, this stands for information, advice and guidance, but we don't actually receive any of this and it's more of a huge homework lesson, however since I'm on the prom committee I was attending 'prom duties.'

Next lesson was English, as the iGCSE English consists of 60% CW which we have done and 40% exam (which is pathetically easy) there's nothing else to do other than spelling and grammar lessons and past papers, so today I spent the lesson correcting the spelling and grammar of what seemed to be the writings of someone with dyslexia.

Third lesson: maths. I enjoy maths but today we went over upper and lower bounds as we haven't done them since last year, and I am pretty confident on them so it felt to be a wasted lesson.

Fourth lesson was chemistry. We did a test on tritation reactions (which is all part of the triple science chemistry) which went okay, but of course was boring.

Final lesson, geography. I spent the lesson drawing a venn diagram of the social, economic and political effects on the Japan earthquake.

After school I stayed back for biology revision where we went over kidneys, menstrual cycle and monoclonal antibodies.

Tonight, I plan to get as much of my French coursework done as possible and 30 minutes - 1 hour of Chemistry revision :smile:
Excellent colour scheme!

Good luck with it all- sounds like you're a naturally very organised kind of person so I'm sure you'll do great!
Reply 5
Original post by Tank Girl
Excellent colour scheme!

Good luck with it all- sounds like you're a naturally very organised kind of person so I'm sure you'll do great!

I guess so! Thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Day 3: 10th February 2016
To-do List:

Today was another day filled with work (and the worst day of the week)

First lesson was English; we had a supply teacher but my teacher had set for us to do a past paper in silence, so that was kinda annoying but I like English so I didn't mind too much.

Second lesson was maths, we went over harder simultaneous equations, and did a few from AS maths, which I enjoyed because I also like maths.

Third lesson was chemistry, we had a test about neutralisation reaction, tritation experiments and calculating how many moles is in a substance and things like that. I answered every question with confidence so hopefully I did well

Fourth lesson; philosophy. This is practically a free lesson because I've finished my project and so I spent the hour going over with my teacher whether my project would be suitable for level 3 (again)

Final lesson; physics. We learnt about CAT scans and fluoroscopes, it was rather boring but I understood everything.

After school I stayed back for maths revision and basically just did a bunch of past questions.
Tonight, I am revising physics (starting to make posters to stick on my revision wall, tonight I will focus on geocentric and heliocentric models which although easy, my brain seems unable to attain historical information) and RE (I'm going to make posters/flash cards on how to actually answer the questions because we were never taught that originally and now I know how to answer the questions will boost my grade so much) :biggrin:
Reply 7
Day 4: 17th February 2016
To-do List:
4) Do revision homework for biology, physics, geography and maths through half term
5) Complete all half-term homework
Admittedly, like most students will at some point, I have been really struggling with motivation and procrastination. Since it's the half term, I've spent a lot of my time gaming and lazing around rather than revising - I put this down to lack of sleep and getting out of my normal routine. I accepted the other night that this is okay, and that I don't need to be 100% focused, productive and motivated all the time. School seems to set up this image for students that they must be hard-working all day everyday and never have a break, but I've realised I'm not a robot and sometimes I just can't be bothered to work or my brain isn't in the right gear for work and that it's actually okay, no matter how close to the exams, to take the night from working and relax.
:couchpotato::couchpotato::couchpotato::couchpotato::couchpotato::couchpotato::couchpotato::couchpotato::couchpotato::couchpotato::couchpotato::couchpotato::couchpotato::couchpotato::couchpotato:

Having said that, I have spent close to a week without doing revision and only doing my compulsory homework, so tonight I'm going to start working more efficiently. I'm going to complete my biology and physics homework, and then start on revision for the geography tectonic mock we have when we go back to school. I also plan on getting a good night sleep (as recording my wellbeing is just as important as recording my revision) so tomorrow I'm more set for revision and working hard.
What units are you doing in RE?

How do you find Geography and French?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending