Russian Roulette Probability Question Watch

Poll: Shoot straight away or spin again?
Shoot (3)
50%
Spin (3)
50%
Swadq
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago

If the image doesn't load:
Spoiler:
Show
We're playing Russian Roulette with a six-chambered revolver. I have loaded two rounds in adjacent chambers, and fired once. It was a blank, and the cylinder has advanced by one position.

Would you prefer to fire again straight away, or to spin the chamber before firing?
Of course, there are natural interesting generalisations which we can talk about once the starter question has been dispatched.
Swadq
Rep:
?
Feel free to post your solutions in spoiler tags.
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
desperate times ....
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Swadq)

If the image doesn't load:
Spoiler:
Show
We're playing Russian Roulette with a six-chambered revolver. I have loaded two rounds in adjacent chambers, and fired once. It was a blank, and the cylinder has advanced by one position.

Would you prefer to fire again straight away, or to spin the chamber before firing?
Of course, there are natural interesting generalisations which we can talk about once the starter question has been dispatched.
My answer:

Spoiler:
Show
You now know that the chamber fired was one of four, which are contiguous. Only one of those four gives rise to the situation that a bullet is in the next chamber. So you have a 25% chance of death with the next shot.

if you spin the chamber you are back to having a one in three chance of death.

So stick.
Metrododo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
Let the 6 respective chambers be C1, C2,...,C6.

Say C1 was the blank, we now move to C2 - leaving 4 possibilities: C2,C3 with bullets; C3,C4 with bullets; C4,C5 with bullets; C5,C6 with bullets. Thus P(C2 with a bullet) = 1/4

Now if we spin the chamber, we have 2 bullets remaining in 6 possible chambers, ie a chance of 1/3 of landing on the bullet.

So stick with C2
Swadq
Rep:
?
A few of you have figured out the solution now, so how about thinking about these two problems?

After a shot is fired, the revolver moves either one chamber forward, or three chambers forward, both with probability 1/2. Now what do you do?
The two rounds are initially loaded at random, now which option is best?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads