Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is the best music overwhelmingly made by men? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Men >> Women

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Taylor Swift writes a lot of her own music.
    Yeah sorry I double checked after I wrote that and you're right, she does. I thought she was mainly a performer.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    she rapped... if u have spotify, I'd recommend her 'under construction' album.
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    U wot m8?

Or even

:lol:
    Cool guys, I'll go through them later - thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Sales and music reviewers are irrelevant, but XOR knows all
    Feminists are hilarious, ngl. Men are superior to women, there's just no denying.

ReputationRep:
    It is because men have an inbuilt tuning fork.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Sales and music reviewer's opinions are irrelevant, but XOR knows all
    Well exactly, somehow music reviewer's know all & you'll listen to them. Despite how opinionated music/art is you want to apply the term 'Best' to it then make a split between the huge sample size of male to female and expect me to take it seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poohat)
    Why are most of the best music composers male?
    Why are most of the best artists male?
    Why are most of the best scientists male?
    Why are most of the best authors male?
    Why are most of the best athletes male?
    Why are most of the best chess players male?
    Why are most of the best fashion designers male?
    Why are most of the best chefs male?
    Why are most of the best entrepeneurs male?
    Why are most of the best lawyers male?

Men are better than women when it comes to elite performance in pretty much every single area of hunan endeavour - its really hard to think of anything where women dominate men at the top end. The reason for this is hinted at in the scientific literature on cognitive/psychometric traits, which shows that (for most traits) while both sexes are equal on average, men tend to have a lot more variance. As such, you get a lot more men on the extremes - both positive and negative. As such, So the people at the top tend to be male, but so also do the people at the bottom (why are most homeless people, criminals, drug addicts, etc male?)

ReputationRep:
    Cc.
    Nas & Marvin Gaye & MJ >>>

Cant forget One Direction. KeyToSuccess

ReputationRep:
    Within Temptation, Evanescence, Icon For Hire. All female-lead. Define 'the best'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    Well exactly, somehow music reviewer's know all & you'll listen to them. Despite how opinionated music/art is you want to apply the term 'Best' to it then make a split between the huge sample size of male to female and expect me to take it seriously.
    Yes, it's subjective and opinionated, but in most people's opinions men make better music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Yes, it's subjective and opinionated, but in most people's opinions men make better music.
    Most people listen to Drake, Rhianna and Justin Bieber.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    Do they? Yikes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Within Temptation, Evanescence, Icon For Hire. All female-lead. Define 'the best'.
    Literally any metric you like. Maybe you personally like those bands but The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc. are considered better as a general opinion (I don't like any of them, so there's no bias).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Do they? Yikes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you go by sales, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    Your opinion is no more valid than the people who like those artists. Or maybe it is, in which case professional music reviewers is yet more valid than yours, and we're back to men making the better music.

ReputationRep:
    Ffs, the premise of the question shouldn't even be up for debate, it's incredibly obvious. I was looking for an answer to/a discussion of the actual question.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    If you go by sales, yes.
    Woe is me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    There was Lauryn Hill but she disappeared, Nicki had potential, but yeah there's not many at all. I know nothing about the genre but metal is probably the same.
    You're right about metal. There are plenty of female fronted, or even all-female, bands that have made killer albums... but the overwhelming majority of metal bands are sausage fests. Whether the music is good or not is by the by, that's simply how it is.

ReputationRep:
    It's really not. I pretty much only listen to female artists such as Marina and The Diamonds who write their own stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strawberry68)
    It's really not. I pretty much only listen to female artists such as Marina and The Diamonds who write their own stuff.
    You're an exception, most people listen to more male stuff

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.