ReputationRep:
    HELLO from the other side
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    You're an exception, most people listen to more male stuff
    Most people aren't daft enough to think their own circle of friends is reflective of worldwide trends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Most people aren't daft enough to think their own circle of friends is reflective of worldwide trends.
    :rolleyes:

https://news.spotify.com/uk/2015/12/...tify-for-2015/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...YouTube_videos

and I've already shown you the sales chart.

ReputationRep:
    http://ifpi.org/news/Adele-confirmed...cording-artist, not that sales should matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    http://ifpi.org/news/Adele-confirmed...cording-artist, not that sales should matter.
    From your own link, 8 of the top 10 are male...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Spotify is a biased list - I'm sure you know that a number of artists boycott it.

YouTube is a bit more balanced (although there's an argument that the demographics of people using YouTube to listen to music isn't representative)

Are you looking at these tables that you post? 5/10 of the top 10 videos are female Top 20 (excluding the wheels on the bus) is majority female.

There's still nothing to evidence "most people definitely listen to more male stuff".

ReputationRep:
    Madonna, Mariah Carey , Celine Dion , Whitney Houston are up there in the list of best selling artists of all time. No sex is better than the other we each have differences but neither would exist without the other so equal respect should be given

ReputationRep:
    shut up you're sexist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    U wot m8?

Or even

:lol:
    its all go go like a yo yo

................................ ..............................
    Spoiler:
    Show
    they're okay i guesscan't put myself through anymore so I'll just assume the last 2 are decentedit: 1:33 in in the first video ... i like her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Discuss.
    Have you ever heard of Laura Marling?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Two artists prove nothing.

Yes but in most people's taste, men produce the best music.
    this is why I posted the Adele link. Your not saying a larger number of top musicians are male, you are saying males produce 'the best' music & that can't be true if Adele is currently number one by your own criteria.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaline.)
    its all go go like a yo yo

................................ ..............................

Spoiler:
    Show
    they're okay i guess
    can't put myself through anymore so I'll just assume the last 2 are decent
    It's all pretty average to be fair, though I have always loved 9 to 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Spotify is a biased list - I'm sure you know that a number of artists boycott it.

YouTube is a bit more balanced (although there's an argument that the demographics of people using YouTube to listen to music isn't representative)

Are you looking at these tables that you post? 5/10 of the top 10 videos are female Top 20 (excluding the wheels on the bus) is majority female.

There's still nothing to evidence "most people definitely listen to more male stuff".
    Where have you got that from? Take out the 2 non music ones and it's 11-9 in favour of males (lead artist only). Include featured artists and it's 20-12. Are you looking at these tables that I post?

I never said definitely. To be 100% sure, you'd have to do some kind of comprehensive study. But when the most listened to/bought in every format are male, that's a pretty good indicator.

ReputationRep:
    Well... male artists make up like 95% of the music on my phone/ I listen to so... soz feminists siding with the guys on this one x'D
    Spoiler:
    Show
    not saying women can't make good music I mean obv Halsey *_* and Adele *_*
    but I just like the male voice better...

I CAN HAVE AN OPINION OKAY gawsh ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    this is why I posted the Adele link. Your not saying a larger number of top musicians are male, you are saying males produce 'the best' music & that can't be true if Adele is currently number one by your own criteria.
    I'm saying men produce more of the best music. Obviously I'm not saying 100% of the best music is by men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katty3)
    Have you ever heard of Laura Marling?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    She's who you're gonna pick, really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickidc18)
    Madonna, Mariah Carey , Celine Dion , Whitney Houston are up there in the list of best selling artists of all time. No sex is better than the other we each have differences but neither would exist without the other so equal respect should be given
    Most of the best selling artists are male, by a comfortable margin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    She's who you're gonna pick, really
    Laura Marling is brilliant. Utterly bonkers, but brilliant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Uh, because mostly men focus on lyrics more than having a sex appeal? I doubt there is a clear cut answer to that, and "best" music is subjective.
    Just cuz a song is popular and making money =/= "good" music.
    There are ton of popular songs out there that are trash in my opinion. I think sometimes the music industry just gives what the viewers want to hear, I guess. It all depends on that individual's taste and preference.

Ya might be a hardcore fan of Adele or some popular male/female singer while the other person may not.
    Most of my "favorite" songs are made by male artists. About 80%.
    Maybe because most male artists just take chances than females do and just happen to fall in your genre you like the most?. Who knows. Maybe the music industry is sexist!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.