The Student Room Group

Student union bans 'racist' sombreros...

Student union officials at the University of East Anglia have banned a Mexican restaurant from handing out sombreros to students, branding the marketing stunt racist. The high-crowned straw hats had been given to students at a freshers’fair in Norwich by staff from Pedro’s Tex Mex Cantina, a Mexican-the med restaurant in the city. Union officials took them away from new students, according to reports,and told restaurant workers the hats breached a policy forbidding stall holders from handing out materials including “discriminatory or stereotypical imagery”.They were quickly accused of hypocrisy, with observers pointing out that the union encourages students to appropriate African American cultural tropes at its annual “Pimp My Barrow” event.Matthew Ward, 27, general manager at Pedro’s, insisted the sombrero promotion was meant as a celebration of Mexican culture.“As we handed out the sombreros we were told it was ‘culturally indifferent’, which we think is a shame because we are not doing anything to offend and we are just celebrating the culture,” he said.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/29/uea-student-union-bans-racist-sombreros

http://thetab.com/uk/norwich/2016/02/07/uea-su-offense-21122?utm_source=local&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=pages

Utter madness.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't even go to UEA and I heard about that like last year, why are you posting it now?

And calling pimping an 'African American cultural trope' is frankly disgusting and offensive.
(edited 8 years ago)
Got another bit of breaking news fam, wew

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2011/oct/29/jimmy-savile-dies-aged-84

Am in shock :zomg:
Reply 4
SORRY! Came up on my facebook and thought it was more recent.
Reply 5
I guess they all felt pretty...sombre
Oh for goodness sake. I do remember though from my time at UEA how it's high up on that social justice warrior time. Lots of home county busy bodies with nothing better to do than to be offended on everyone else's behalf. They loved banning things all the time just to do it and get SJW brownie points.

I can only imagine the massive Mexican community of Norwich is rejoicing at this news and for their saviours from Hertfordshire
The regressive left are at it (yet) again.

"Goldsmiths University SU voted against a measure to hold commemorations for Holocaust Memorial Day because it would be “Eurocentric” and wouldn’t take into account atrocities committed by the UK." (Source)

And... "Goldsmiths SU officer Bahar Mustafa put together a protest against inequality, with advertisement saying "If you’ve been invited and you’re a man and/or white PLEASE DON’T COME."

The Guardian is the focal point of self-entitled and middle-class prats, perpetual victimhood and freedom bashing and a cesspit of loopy SJWs. Apparently calling to "#killallwhitemen" is absolutely fine and "I'm glad the CPS saw Bahar Mustafa's tweet in context" (Charlie Brinkhurst-Cuff). I wonder if she'd say the same thing if it were #killallwomen, #killalltrannies or #killallbigotedSJWs ?

Just an example of the left's hypocrisy... "There’s no denying that Mustafa has made some mistakes. She says she supports the “most marginalised people” but chooses to do so in a way that many would consider extreme. As well as using the hashtag she was also accused of calling somebody “white trash” on Twitter, and there are apparently screen shots reportedly taken from her Facebook page that say: “Omg… Kill them all. What’s wrong with white people?" "

"The Goldsmiths diversity officer faced prosecution for her tweet. Yet others threaten her with gang rape online, seemingly without consequence"

Nuff said. Chat **** get banged.
Original post by Sgt_Haytham
The regressive left are at it (yet) again.

"Goldsmiths University SU voted against a measure to hold commemorations for Holocaust Memorial Day because it would be “Eurocentric” and wouldn’t take into account atrocities committed by the UK." (Source)

And... "Goldsmiths SU officer Bahar Mustafa put together a protest against inequality, with advertisement saying "If you’ve been invited and you’re a man and/or white PLEASE DON’T COME."

The Guardian is the focal point of self-entitled and middle-class prats, perpetual victimhood and freedom bashing and a cesspit of loopy SJWs. Apparently calling to "#killallwhitemen" is absolutely fine and "I'm glad the CPS saw Bahar Mustafa's tweet in context" (Charlie Brinkhurst-Cuff). I wonder if she'd say the same thing if it were #killallwomen, #killalltrannies or #killallbigotedSJWs ?

Just an example of the left's hypocrisy... "There’s no denying that Mustafa has made some mistakes. She says she supports the “most marginalised people” but chooses to do so in a way that many would consider extreme. As well as using the hashtag she was also accused of calling somebody “white trash” on Twitter, and there are apparently screen shots reportedly taken from her Facebook page that say: “Omg… Kill them all. What’s wrong with white people?" "

"The Goldsmiths diversity officer faced prosecution for her tweet. Yet others threaten her with gang rape online, seemingly without consequence"

Nuff said. Chat **** get banged.

Does anybody have a link to the % of people that carry through these online death threats, which btw come from both sides of the most arguments. No one side has the monopoly of cowardly keyboard warriors.
Apart from some followers of Big Mo I have never heard anyone carrying threats through especially when you read of the thousands that send this shut at the drop of a hat.
Original post by caravaggio2
Does anybody have a link to the % of people that carry through these online death threats, which btw come from both sides of the most arguments. No one side has the monopoly of cowardly keyboard warriors.
Apart from some followers of Big Mo I have never heard anyone carrying threats through especially when you read of the thousands that send this shut at the drop of a hat.

I don't, but it's certainly a minority.

Its same old **** with SJWs, I mean look at the hate Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn get online. I mean I don't condone threats of rape and violence, but the **** they come up with in criticism of video games and the video game crowd is awful...

Quick Reply

Latest