Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

D1 Maths - Linear Programming Help Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi can anyone help me with this question?

- A horticulturist needs to fertilise a plot ready for sowing a crop in the spring. Two fertilisers are available, 'supergrow' and 'plus'. A bag of supergrow provides 3kg nitrogen and 4kg of phosphate. a bag of plus provides 4kg of nitrogen and 2kg of phosphate. The horticulturist requires at least 24kg of nitrogen and at least 22kg of phosphate. A bag of supergrow costs £5 and a bag of plus costs £4. The horticulturist wishes to determine how many bags of each fertiliser he needs to purchase in order to keep the cost of growing his crop to a minimum.

a)Formulare this as a linear programming problem
    b)Solve this linear programming problem graphically using the ruler method to find the optimal solution

I think i can do part B but I'm having trouble formulating it

Any help would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware to get the marks in the exam you just have to plot one objective line and then you can just state the vertex where the cost is minimised, and then plug those values back into initial equation

ReputationRep:
    list all key points in the question so then you can start thinking of some inequalities
    so if n=1kg of nitrogen and p=1kg of phosphate
    24≤n
    22≤p
    if S=number of supergrow bags, S=3n+4p
    if N=number of plus bags, N=4n-2p

the objective line would be 5S+4N, and then that is equal to 5(3n+4p)+4(4n-2p) and you can expand that and make it equal to the cost(C)

idk if this is the right way just giving a different angle linear programming is my least favourite because I hate graphs but I hope I helped a little

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.