Advice for Oriental Studies Watch

This discussion is closed.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hey all,

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge to study Oriental Studies (Hebrew). Does anyone have any advice on preliminary reading and which college I should apply to?

I've just done my GCSEs and will study English Lit, French, History and Geography AS in September.

Thanks!!
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Hey all,

I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge to study Oriental Studies (Hebrew). Does anyone have any advice on preliminary reading and which college I should apply to?

I've just done my GCSEs and will study English Lit, French, History and Geography AS in September.

Thanks!!
You could try looking at the Cambridge Faculty of Oriental Studies website.
candy88524
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Hey all,

Thanks!!
did you get in? i applied to do chinese, but appr i knew too much already, so they couldn't accomodate me on their course
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by candy88524)
did you get in? i applied to do chinese, but appr i knew too much already, so they couldn't accomodate me on their course

You knew too much already?! Blimmin' 'eck, that's a compliment... Although a pain at the same time, bad luck!
jediknight007
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hebrew is Oriental?

And yea, it might be useful if you did a language at AS Level. Otherwise, an A* at GCSE for any language would do. The only language qualification I will have when I go to university will be an AS-Level in Italian. I have applied to do courses such as Mathematics with Italian at UCL and Greenwich and Economics and Japanese at SOAS. I'm quite desperate to get an A in my Maths at the moment because the UCL Mathematics with Modern Languages allows you to study a variety of langauges throughout the year and I would love to learn Italian and Japanese instead of just one subject. Yea, I know that it will be a lot of hard work but I think I'm quite good with languages since I can already speak about 3/4 languages. Anyways, I think that learning languages is fun and useful so whatever language you decide to do, make the most out of it!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (60)
30.46%
No - I got the required grades (114)
57.87%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
11.68%

Watched Threads