Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dear all,

I am happy to answer any questions you have relating to the following topics

AS: Teleological/Cosmological/PoE/Utilitarianism/SE/R and M

A2: NML/Deontology/Rel and Morality/Rel Language/Ontological/Rel Exp

Set Text - philosophy (Ayer/Westphal/Donovan)

I have taught this specification for the past 6 years and also mark for the board.

So as to avoid an influx of private messages, please add your question to this forum.

Thanks

If a question asks for strengths and weaknesses, how many of each do you think we should have? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    As a general rule of thumb I would advise 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses. You need to include a range of philosophers on both sides of the argument!

ReputationRep:
    How are you supposed to structure the answer to the Anthology question?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    can u tell me which questions where in the paper last year for life after death, religious experiences and ethical theories pls so I can predict which questions may come up this year?
    Please Thanku

ReputationRep:
    This is how you can structure your response to the Anthology question
    (As for predications likely to be Ayer, given it was Donovan last year and Westphal came up in June 2014)

(a) Clarify the argument and/or interpretation in the passage. (30)
    What is this passage arguing? (Keep it to three main points).

What does the article argue overall? (Try to sum up in no more than 5 points).

Can you think of any connections with other things you have studied? (Limit to 3 connections).

(b) Do you agree with the idea(s) expressed? Justify your point of view and discuss its implications for understanding religion and human experience. [20]
    Do you agree with the scholar? Why? Why not?

If this passage is right, what does this mean for religion?

If this passage is right, what does this mean for human experience? How might it affect someone’s life?

Conclusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry 786)
    Hi there,
    can u tell me which questions where in the paper last year for life after death, religious experiences and ethical theories pls so I can predict which questions may come up this year?
    Please Thanku
    I have put this as an attachment for you.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 6RS03_01_que_20150610.pdf (105.6 KB, 313 views)

ReputationRep:
    Hi - I really need help with this, it would be awesome if you could answer me...

I'm currently revising the teleological argument - I realise that there are two parts to the argument, design que purpose (the analogical argument) and design qua regularity (the inductive argument). I realise that the analogical argument is based around Paley's 'watch' analogy, but what is the inductive argument? I only have strengths and weaknesses for the analogical, but none for the inductive, as I still don't really know what it is. Was Aquinas' Fifth Way in support of the analogical, or was his theory inductive? Many thanks if you get chance to answer!

ReputationRep:
    Also, if you would be able to tell me in simple terms what 'monism' is, then that would be extremely useful (as I can't understand any of it when I Google it ahaha)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris-Graham)
    Also, if you would be able to tell me in simple terms what 'monism' is, then that would be extremely useful (as I can't understand any of it when I Google it ahaha)
    I'm not the person who started the forum but I think it's the belief that evil doesn't exist, and it's a figment of the human imagination. It's a bit weird.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any advice on how to remember all the content? I've written essay plans and practiced writing with them to time but I'm finding it really hard to do it from memory!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    I'm not the person who started the forum but I think it's the belief that evil doesn't exist, and it's a figment of the human imagination. It's a bit weird.
    Ah... Thanks, I understood the Monists' stance on evil, but what actually is Monism? Like is their only belief that one thing about evil?

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou so much. Do u have one for the AS paper as I am doing that as well

ReputationRep:
    Hi - I really need help with this, it would be awesome if you could answer me...

I'm currently revising the teleological argument - I realise that there are two parts to the argument, design que purpose (the analogical argument) and design qua regularity (the inductive argument). I realise that the analogical argument is based around Paley's 'watch' analogy, but what is the inductive argument? I only have strengths and weaknesses for the analogical, but none for the inductive, as I still don't really know what it is. Was Aquinas' Fifth Way in support of the analogical, or was his theory inductive? Many thanks if you get chance to answer!
    I need to clarify this as this is slightly muddled.

For the Teleological argument you have to mention Aquinas (argues from design qua reguality) then Paley who argues from design qua purpose (watch analogy) and design qua regularity (rotation of the planets). You would need to make reference to the variations of the telelogical argument - aesthetic and anthropic - F.R.Tennant and the argument from probability - Swinburne.

The strengths and weaknesses you refer to general come in part (ii). You need to mention 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses. Hume/Dawkins/evolution could be used as weaknesses for example.

Aquinas' fifth way 'from the beneficial order of things', is used to support his argument from design qua regularity. You can use the example of the annual migration of whales to support your point provided by Sarah Tyler.

Aquinas argues that non-rational beings work towards a purpose/end (telos) in an orderly fashion but do not possess the intelligence to do this themselves. They require an intelligent being to guide them - Aquinas believed this was God.

To summarise his argument:
    1) There is beneficial order in the universe, i.e. there are things in the universe that work towards an end or purpose
    2) This beneficial order could not happen by chance
    3) Many objects do not have the intelligence to work towards an end or purpose, i.e. the objects themselves cannot work towards an end or purpose.
    4) Therefore, they must be directed by something that does have intelligence.
    Therefore God exists as the explanation of beneficial order.

I hope this helps you.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    do you have the past paper for the Unit 1 exam?
    Many Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Monists believe than evil is an illusion of the mind. The universe is a single unity that is good. Evil causes a feeling of suffering as we cannot see the whole picture. If we saw the whole picture, we would realise that evil is an illusion. Evil is not something that God has deliberately created. Evil is simply the absence of good, like an eye that is blind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    Do you have any advice on how to remember all the content? I've written essay plans and practiced writing with them to time but I'm finding it really hard to do it from memory!
    Firstly, if you are doing AS, you do not have to learn ALL the topics in Philsophy and Ethics. You need to focus on the ones you have performed well in. For example you could learn 3 Phil/2 Ethics or 3 Ethics/2 Phil based on answering 3 questions above or below the line.

There is a lot to learn, however this comes with regular revision and learning the exam structure. I have taught my group what belongs in each section and to adapt this to the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hareem Fathima)
    Hello,
    do you have the past paper for the Unit 1 exam?
    Many Thanks
    I have attached this for you.
    Attached Images
  2. File Type: pdf 6RS01_01_que_20150514.pdf (114.1 KB, 302 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hareem Fathima)
    Thankyou so much. Do u have one for the AS paper as I am doing that as well
    See below - provided for another pupil on this forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cogitoergo)
    Firstly, if you are doing AS, you do not have to learn ALL the topics in Philsophy and Ethics. You need to focus on the ones you have performed well in. For example you could learn 3 Phil/2 Ethics or 3 Ethics/2 Phil based on answering 3 questions above or below the line.

There is a lot to learn, however this comes with regular revision and learning the exam structure. I have taught my group what belongs in each section and to adapt this to the question.
    Thank you for that.

What kind of regular revision should I be doing? Like what content, in how much depth, and how much time to spend on it. Any useful methods would be appreciated. My teachers aren't being helpful at all and are just saying 'we'll do it in class closer to the exam' which is quite frustrating (as I'm sure @Chris-Graham will know - classic Clarky and Summers!). I want to revise for the exams independently to be sure of getting my target grade but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks in advance.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 31, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.