The Student Room Group

Do you think the DEATH PENALTY should be brought back?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greatguy133
What? They will have plenty of mental suffering to deal with if they haven't committed the crime. I.e. the suffering of having your freedom taking away from you for something you didn't do.

You're straying away greatly from the original argument
Original post by george-90
Are you simply saying that they should be prevented from committing suicide? Because they already are.

Furthermore, forensics can't prove rape. Only video footage, multiple witnesses, etc. can. The point is, in the UK, a victims word is worth far more than a suspects, and the onus is on the suspect to prove their innocence.

No I'm saying they shouldn't beat them up lmfao and that they shouldn't behead them
Original post by caitlinford3
No I'm saying they shouldn't beat them up lmfao and that they shouldn't behead them

So where does the torture part come in?
So where does the torture part come in?

Mental torture with them living with the knowledge they raped/killed etc someone, I clarified this
Mental torture with them living with the knowledge they raped/killed etc someone, I clarified this

So how can you dismiss my previous comment? All you are suggesting is default practise.
Original post by Supersaps

My main argument against the death penalty is I don't have enough belief in the accuracy of our justice system to make an accurate decision in all cases. And one person wrongly executed is a travesty.

This question always comes down to this whether or not you agree with the notion of executing people for crimes such as murder.
So how can you dismiss my previous comment? All you are suggesting is default practise.

Yes because all I want is default practise LMFAO I disagreed with bringing back the death penalty. I'm dismissing your comments because I don't really care that much
The death penalty belongs in the past, let's keep it there.
Reply 28
Yes it should.

Idk if I'd class that as torture, I'm sure there are plenty of criminals that commit crimes such as murder and rape or sexual abuse that feel no guilt over it at all.
Original post by Katarvi
Idk if I'd class that as torture, I'm sure there are plenty of criminals that commit crimes such as murder and rape or sexual abuse that feel no guilt over it at all.

Of course because most of them are psychopaths
Original post by HAnwar
Yes it should.

How come?
I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with death being the punishment for certain crimes. I do think that on a purely practical basis we get things wrong far too often (miscarriages of justice) for us to think about having the death penalty exist again.
Original post by limetang
I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with death being the punishment for certain crimes. I do think that on a purely practical basis we get things wrong far too often (miscarriages of justice) for us to think about having the death penalty exist again.

I would argue that punishment is the use of something negative so the individual doesnt choose to perform the action again. Death would then not be a punishment but a preemptive solution.
For some crimes, yes, the death penalty is appropriate.
The death penalty serves justice. If you think that you have the right to end someone's life, then you honestly deserve the death penalty.".. an eye for an eye .. a tooth for a tooth .."

Think about it. It is not fair to the family if the person who raped or murdered their kid gets to live a life in jail while their kids are traumatised for the rest of their life or dead.

But then again, I guess it should really depend on the families of the victim whether they'd want the culprit to be punished with the death penalty [it brings closure to the families] or not.

But the worst thing about it is that mistakes can be made
- what if someone gets convicted and sentenced to death but is actually innocent?
Original post by FluffyCherry
For some crimes, yes, the death penalty is appropriate.
The death penalty serves justice. If you think that you have the right to end someone's life, then you honestly deserve the death penalty.".. an eye for an eye .. a tooth for a tooth .."

Think about it. It is not fair to the family if the person who raped or murdered their kid gets to live a life in jail while their kids are traumatised for the rest of their life or dead.

But then again, I guess it should really depend on the families of the victim whether they'd want the culprit to be punished with the death penalty [it brings closure to the families] or not.

But the worst thing about it is that mistakes can be made
- what if someone gets convicted and sentenced to death but is actually innocent?

Life without parole is a far better option. It reduces the risk for mistakes about trying the right person.

Furthermore, you claim that such a penalty serves 'justice' - is this justice or vengeance? You yourself mention that if someone believes they have the right to take life away, they deserve this penalty. What about the people who impose it? Should they be executed too? This is an outdated and frankly disgusting penalty and there is a reason it was ended. It is undignified and ineffective.

Crime is higher proportionally in countries with the death penalty still imposed - this has been common knowledge for many years.

Life in prison without parole is the same suffering, if not worse. There is absolutely no chance of seeing the outside world again. Family visits can be withheld. Maximum security facilities can make life in prison dull and dry. But most importantly, it stops criminals from taking "the easy way out" and simply dying, rather than spending 30-40 years thinking about their crime and what their life could've been.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So here's what we do: we round up all of the murders and whatnot, make a hunger games and they can all kill each other. Or whatever they want to do
What happens if a convicted rapist is found to be innocent? In the UK, that doesn't seem unlikely at all.

Even if in the incredibly unlikely event capital punishment was brought back rape would not be an offence where the maximum sentence is death

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
Even if in the incredibly unlikely event capital punishment was brought back rape would not be an offence where the maximum sentence is death

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read the conversation before you comment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending