Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Studying Mental Health Nursing - travelling to placement? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I will begin studying Mental Health Nursing this September, and Edge Hill University is one of my (favourite!) choices so far. I have one main question for anyone that may be studying this course too - have you found any problems with travelling to work placements?
    If I attend this uni I'm planning to be using public transport, and will not be driving. Am wondering how reliable/regular the public transport in and around Ormskirk is, and how far typical Nursing students have had to travel to placements.
    Thank you to anyone that can help!

ReputationRep:
    Ive just started LD nursing september 2015,

the transport around ormskirk is fine, uni have a free bus that takes u into ormskirk city centre. and there is trains and bus that can take you anywhere.

University expect you travel at least a hour n half to get to your placement. my placement is a hour and 5 minutes from my house. I am on placement at the moment!

i hope this helps? let me no if you wanna know anything else? x

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for your reply, was really helpful! It's re assuring knowing that the travel out of Ormskirk isn't too complicated - how reliable/regular do the buses and trains going out of Ormskirk tend to be? Also, are other students you work with out on placement at a similar distance away? Thankyou so much for your help!x

ReputationRep:
    trains go out of ormskirk every 15 minutes but as soon as one leaves another comes in so you are never really waiting in the cold long. Ye our first placement seemed to be bit away from you placement. i have just got my placement for may and i am by my house so thats good :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie1405)
    trains go out of ormskirk every 15 minutes but as soon as one leaves another comes in so you are never really waiting in the cold long. Ye our first placement seemed to be bit away from you placement. i have just got my placement for may and i am by my house so thats good :-)
    That sounds pretty good then - might not have to worry so much about travel now! I can't drive, so that;s why I was concerned about how difficult it tended to be to get to placement and stuff. I suppose it's just a lottery really where you get given a placement, whether it's close or not

ReputationRep:
    Ye if you are going to live on campus they won't send you too far if you don't drive so don't worry too much :-) have you had your interview??

ReputationRep:
    How does the placement work? Is it an hour and a half travel from where you live or from the university?

ReputationRep:
    from where you live, they will try and get you a placement near to were to live and compute from :-) x

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, thank you x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.