Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WSmith7069's Grow Your Grades Blog Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello and welcome to my blog. Make yourself feel at home; there's is tea and biscuits in the corner, help yourself!

Firstly I'd like to say a bit about myself:
    I am currently in Year 11 and so GCSE's are fast approaching for me, eek! I am interested in photography, rugby, scouting and guitar.

The reason I'm participating is because this is my first year of TSR and what better way to get involved that by doing this. In addition I am wanting to 'grow my grades' after my mocks exams.

My mock results
    Art - A*
    Biology - A
    Chemistry - B
    Design and Technology - A*
    English - A*
    French - C
    Geography - A
    Maths - C
    Physics - C

I am reasonably happy with these however areas need improvement. Hence me starting a blog.

My goals for this will be to get all my grades at least B grade and above.

To achieve my goals I will try to concentrate on the weaker subjects (French, Maths and Physics) while still revising the others. I aim to revise most nights apart from Wednesdays where I have Explorers (Scouts).

I will organise my blog by having weaker subjects in red, medium subjects in yellow and my strongest subjects in green. By the end of it I hope to have a sea of reds!

I will check in every night to update you about my work on that night.

Good luck to everyone in their exams!

ReputationRep:

English
    Tonight I sorted through my English notes preparing them for the half term which will be packed full of revision. In addition I made a mind map for the character of Mr Hyde.

Geography
    Reviewed some of the notes we did in class today about China's one child policy.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    A sea of reds? Are you sure?

I'm very impressed by your Art / DT grades - they're not easy subjects at all!

And you have a lot of nice extracurriculars as well so good luck with your grades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    A sea of reds? Are you sure?

I'm very impressed by your Art / DT grades - they're not easy subjects at all!

And you have a lot of nice extracurriculars as well so good luck with your grades!
    That's the plan! Concentrate on the weaker subjects.

Thank you. DT is a subject I have a lot of interest in and so naturally do well in it.

Yes, I'm always busy with little projects. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!

Your goal seem achievable.

If you need any help with Maths or English feel free to PM me.

ReputationRep:

Im going to be honest, I didn't do as much revision as i'd hope to do because I went to scouts tonight. However I did find time to look over my french writing ready for a writing test.

ReputationRep:

Maths

I finished a maths past paper and started another which I got up to question 6 in. Im going to be staying after school tomorrow to do some maths so will probably be doing some then.

ReputationRep:

Today was a day off because I finished for half-term today. Hitting it hard this next week.

ReputationRep:

Chemistry

Today I finished my notes on bonding, all the revision cards and computer notes are finished.

ReputationRep:

Design and Technology

A pretty lonely valentines day for me revising. DT was today where I made revision cards on woods.

ReputationRep:

Jam packed day as it is half term:

Chemistry
    To the start the day I made notes on air, water and oxygen. A very productive session!

Maths

In Maths I just went over a past paper, this is how I revise Maths. Find my weaknesses and work from there.

English

Continued with the mind map on the characters of Jekyll and Hyde adding Mr Utterson and Dr Lanyon to the mind map.

ReputationRep:

Physics

In Physics I organised all my notes in order while finishing momentum and starting forces and elasticity.

French

Ready for the writing test I re wrote my draft into the final piece. I need to start learning it now!

Biology

Again, organised my notes and made the standard revision cards and notes on cell division.

ReputationRep:
    How I revise

I thought while making this blog that It would be nice to include my revising technique.

Feel free to comment on my technique upon how I can improve and adjust things (not too much) too maximise its efficiency.

When starting a new topic I begin by using the specification; looking at all the things I need to know. Then using all my revision books, class books and textbook I begin to type my notes. Yes, type. To make the notes I use Microsoft One Note. I use this because it is quick and easy but most of all I can get them anywhere. Whether it be on the train to school or on holiday in Spain. I can always access my notes.

When the notes are completed I will make revision cards. I do this because by having the topic go through my head twice I feel it will stay in there longer. My revision cards follow a simple code:
    Green - Titles
    Red - Important information
    Blue - All the other things
    Purple (Pretend this is purple) - Any diagrams.
    This is what my revision card deck and cards look like:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  IMG_1982.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  448.6 KB
    I got the pack from Tesco. They are great because they come with a ring which keeps them together and dividers.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  IMG_1983.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  341.2 KB

A look inside my deck. As you can see I have used the colour scheme to keep them organised and well, look nice.
    I then add the revision cards to the subject deck.

I don't just stop there. Everyone and then I will open up the OneNote application on either my computer, phone or tablet and read through the notes just to jog my memory.

When it gets closer to the exams I plan on reading through the whole deck of cards everyone and then because it goes through the whole subject syllabus and refresh my memory.

What do you think to my technique/workflow?
    What is your technique, how do you revise?

Thanks for reading my post
    WSmith7069
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    My Revision Timetable

As it is half term I am revising everyday in preparation for my GCSEs in May. To stay on track throughout half term I made myself a timetable.

The timetable can be seen below:
    Name:  IMG_1984.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  431.6 KB

As you can see my timetable is jam packed with revision sessions and also relaxing and breaks which is important when you are revising a lot.

I got the timetable from someone called Jake Wright. He is a Cambridge Graduate who has vlogged his life at Cambridge studying computer science. You should go watch his videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/jaketvee)

This video explains his timetable which I adapted to be my own. Hope he doesn't mind!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mij4EZSjc0o

On the reverse of my timetable are all the homework I need to do:
    Name:  IMG_1985.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  315.8 KB

I didn't have much as the teachers were expecting us to be revising however I did get some physics to do but me being the perfect student I have already done it.

I hope you have your own revision timetable. They help me loads to stay on track and focus on my work rather than watching YouTube and scrolling endlessly on Facebook.

Hope you enjoy and have a nice half term
    WSmith7069
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

I found today quite hard to revise. I'm not sure why? I think it's because I have been revising all week. However I didn't do too much due to me being busy with other things and scouts on a night.

Physics

I did however get some more work done in Physics. In fact I have no completed revision notes and cards on the first topic in my course. Forces and their effects. Very happy about that, its relieving some of the pressure.

Im in trouble with myself because I didn't do my Chemistry slot that was on my timetable. Im quite disappointed however a long break was needed.

How do you stay concentrated while revising, me legs start to ache from sitting down, and I just feel off put. Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    18.2.16In my honest opinion today was both productive but unproductive at the same time:I woke up reasonably early at 9:00 this morning. By 11:00 I was already out of the house.

Art

The reason for me leaving the house, which is a special occasion, I very rarely leave the house on holidays, was because I was going to do some art exam preparation. The teacher asked us to gather some source material. So I visited a farm not far from my village. I asked kindly at the farm office if I would be allowed to go around looking at some of the old machinery and take some photographs. To my surprise they let me. I took tons of pictures so my teacher can have a look at them and we can choose the appropriate ones.

Geography

I did some Geography after I got back and had a shower because well.. I smelt of farm. I tidied up some of my notes and made some new ones on the parts of the CBD. I enjoy Geography.

Biology

To finish the day off I added to the biology notes making them on environmental factors. This session dragged on so much but I got through it.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, your half-term has been way more productive than mine! Jake Wright's approach to the timetable really does work. I tried it for the first two weeks back at school this term and found that it helped me to keep track of my time. I might have a look at the template I made on my computer in the morning!
    Keep up the good work! You've inspired me to actually do some revision in the morning!

Ps. Thanks for the tea and biscuits!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ara8311a)
    Wow, your half-term has been way more productive than mine! Jake Wright's approach to the timetable really does work. I tried it for the first two weeks back at school this term and found that it helped me to keep track of my time. I might have a look at the template I made on my computer in the morning!
    Keep up the good work! You've inspired me to actually do some revision in the morning!

Ps. Thanks for the tea and biscuits!
    You may not have to do as much work as me and still get top notch grades. Im sure you'll do really well.

Yes he is very productive and watching his videos every Friday gives me some weekend motivation.

I'm glad I have helped someone get revising, it has to be done!

I may have to restock now , It has to be Tetley tea!

Enjoy
    WSmith7069

ReputationRep:

Design and Technology

I started the day off with some hardcore DT revision. I revised metals getting some quality notes and revision cards done!

Physics

Physics wasn't as productive as DT however I did start the next topic, however I never got it finished.

ReputationRep:

Today, I first spend my morning and early afternoon volunteering at my local museum, like I do most Saturday's. I got back about 2:30

I started at 3:00:

English

I mainly wanted to concentrate on English today, I went off my timetable and worked on English. I revised Thomas Hardy poems. I have gone through my York Notes book on the poem and highlighted the key points. In addition I made revision cards showing the key points, themes and quotes. A truly productive session!

Submit reply
Updated: February 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.