Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In a complicated situation and hoping for some advice Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a bit of a weird situation and I really hope SOMEONE can relate to this. To put it shortly, I am a Scottish/German girl with mental health problems, living between Denmark and Germany, not speaking much other than English and I only have a Certificate of HE.

Now to explain it a bit more for those of you who would like to read....

I am both Scottish and German, but have grown up mainly in Scotland. I went to a private school due to luck and brains, getting my GCSEs (Like Standard Grades), but dropping out of school before i could complete my International Baccalaureate (something i could really use NOW). This was because I developed panic disorder and depression, which I took about 1-2 years to recover from.

After that, I studied with The Open University to get something for myself, to make a better life. I completed a Certificate of HE in Social Science. Straight after this, I moved to Denmark for my partner, which may seem a bit drastic for a 19 year old, but we love each other and I was ready for a change.

I started studying a Bachelor in Architectural Technology, but failed my 2nd semester exam and dropped out again. My mental illness creeps up a lot, especially the anxiety and I slept through class a lot. So after the summer, I changed to a shorter course in Multimedia Design. That more or less ended the same way, except I dropped out only at the START of the 2nd semester.

Since then I have been in limbo. You see, there are very limited choices as an English speaker in Denmark. If I want more options and to study in Danish, I still have to completed my language school and I am about 60% through that. But ideally, I want to study long-distance, because I know it is more reliable for me and my situation. Except I can't afford it and now I am not resident in Scotland, so I can't get any financial aid.

I have looked at my options in Germany, but they offer even less courses in English. However, I have the chance of financial aid, because I am half German. It's just going to take a while to up my German knowledge, so it's almost like starting over. In Denmark, I am so close, and I have my partner who I love.

Generally... I'm a bit stuck. I hardly have anything to live on and I need a job. I want to make a career for myself and ideally I would study psychology, something that is only really an option with The Open University.

Can anyone relate? Can anyone share something wise I don't know about? An option? I'm getting desperate and feeling hopeless. I can't afford a psychiatrist, which I need to get ready for full-time school or work. I don't really WANT to move back to Scotland. My parents are now living in Germany. The only person I have in Scotland is my brother.... and my grandparents. I've worked so hard here, but seemingly not hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    That's a pretty extreme situation.
    Could you not get a job at a tourist destination at least as an initial start just for money? At least working in a hotel, or a bar, as a native English speaker you'd be able to deal with English speaking tourists, and your Danish would improve as well.
    It does seem like you need to find an entry level job that requires very few qualifications, and then use that to fund your education going forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leostar21)
    I'm in a bit of a weird situation and I really hope SOMEONE can relate to this. To put it shortly, I am a Scottish/German girl with mental health problems, living between Denmark and Germany, not speaking much other than English and I only have a Certificate of HE.

Now to explain it a bit more for those of you who would like to read....

I am both Scottish and German, but have grown up mainly in Scotland. I went to a private school due to luck and brains, getting my GCSEs (Like Standard Grades), but dropping out of school before i could complete my International Baccalaureate (something i could really use NOW). This was because I developed panic disorder and depression, which I took about 1-2 years to recover from.

After that, I studied with The Open University to get something for myself, to make a better life. I completed a Certificate of HE in Social Science. Straight after this, I moved to Denmark for my partner, which may seem a bit drastic for a 19 year old, but we love each other and I was ready for a change.

I started studying a Bachelor in Architectural Technology, but failed my 2nd semester exam and dropped out again. My mental illness creeps up a lot, especially the anxiety and I slept through class a lot. So after the summer, I changed to a shorter course in Multimedia Design. That more or less ended the same way, except I dropped out only at the START of the 2nd semester.

Since then I have been in limbo. You see, there are very limited choices as an English speaker in Denmark. If I want more options and to study in Danish, I still have to completed my language school and I am about 60% through that. But ideally, I want to study long-distance, because I know it is more reliable for me and my situation. Except I can't afford it and now I am not resident in Scotland, so I can't get any financial aid.

I have looked at my options in Germany, but they offer even less courses in English. However, I have the chance of financial aid, because I am half German. It's just going to take a while to up my German knowledge, so it's almost like starting over. In Denmark, I am so close, and I have my partner who I love.

Generally... I'm a bit stuck. I hardly have anything to live on and I need a job. I want to make a career for myself and ideally I would study psychology, something that is only really an option with The Open University.

Can anyone relate? Can anyone share something wise I don't know about? An option? I'm getting desperate and feeling hopeless. I can't afford a psychiatrist, which I need to get ready for full-time school or work. I don't really WANT to move back to Scotland. My parents are now living in Germany. The only person I have in Scotland is my brother.... and my grandparents. I've worked so hard here, but seemingly not hard enough.
    Of course you have worked hard, no matter what age people are they never truly know what they want to do. There are some lucky few who do have that knowledge of what they enjoy doing and know how they want to go about it, but many people know what they enjoy but don't know how to go about getting in to that line of work. I agree that you should perhaps look in to the tourism trade as it provides many positive factors for you, you would be able to develop your speaking skills but also at the same time you want to study psychology, having the chance to interact with other people from different backgrounds will provide some good experience of whether you do want to study that field or not.

I would say to you for now focus on having a job where you are able to just save the funding for your course.
    Don't worry about feeling stuck it may be the case because you are somewhere that Is making you feel comfortable and so you feel closed off which is triggering anxiety, I would suggest going on walks in the morning or evening on a route that you've planned out the night before so you can just go exploring a bit you never know you may someone advertising for an English speaking role in a window or something.

Don't let yourself get down.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.