The Student Room Group

Panic attacks in exams - Help!!!!!!!

I suffer from panic attacks in tests/exams.
I am not eligible for a separate room or extra time.
I panic more in a exam hall (sports hall) when there is lots of people around me and I feel as if the room is closing in on me.
I very rarely finish an exam/test I only ever finish German (which I hate and panic really bad in) and maths yet still can't qualify for extra time. The subjects that I cant finish are Geography, History, Food Tech, English, Physics, Biology ad Chemistry.
(edited 8 years ago)
You are not alone on this one, i was on the same boat.

You just need to train yourself to adjust to these pressurising conditions.

Also, you could you not speak with someone at school.
Keep calm and carry on.
You need to speak to someone urgently. If this is going to cause you grief in your exams, you're better off being referred to the Learning Support department of your school so that they'll be able to clear you for extra time and a separate room. The later you leave it, the more unlikely it is that you'll receive them.
Reply 4
German123 I feel you. I try to adjust my self but I am someone that finds change difficult.
German123 and GetOverHere I am speaking to my head of year and deputy head of school/my years line manager both are really nice but are always busy and I feel awkward to speek to them. It was confirmed by learning support that it is going to be near impossible for me to get extra time and a separate room and they are also not offering support and I don't get on with SENCO who I would have to sleek to. I have been able to confide in my chemistry teacher/ head of science for support.

Everything became worse when my original head of year left and the tutor I had for 2 years both I could trust neither there for me to talk to. My new tutors both part time one I get on with and the other one I dislike and she doesn't like me which is really awkward.
take deep breaths
Reply 6
The diplomat I do and will carry on doing that
Reply 7
Original post by Luluelodie
I panic more in a exam hall (sports hall) when there is lots of people around me and I feel as if the room is closing in on me.
I very rarely finish an exam/test I only ever finish German (which I hate and panic really bad in) and maths yet still can't qualify for extra time. The subjects that I cant finish are Geography, History, Food Tech, English, Physics, Biology ad Chemistry.

Extra time would not be allowable for this and the rules for separate rooms have been tightened up, possibly because the numbers of people asking for a separate room has sky rocketed in the past few years.

Work on strategies that help you keep the panic down and talk to learning support to see what they can suggest..

Think about whether you would be happy in a certain spot in the room - front, back, by the door and ask if they can seat you there for your exams - that should be achievable with minimal effort.
Original post by Luluelodie

practise after school get a table and chair ask your teacher to print you a paper you haven't gone and sit the paper even though there isn't one in the exam remember in the real thing you cant look at nobody around you just your paper this would be really great practise for your brain

good luck

Quick Reply

Latest