The Student Room Group

A level psychology!!

I'm worried because I really want to study Psychology (3 years) at Manchester University. I am currently in my first year of A-Level and I'm taking Psychology and BTEC Level 3 Business which is equal to 2 A levels. When I checked the entry requirements for Psychology they offer AAB, I was wondering do I need to get an A or B in Psychology if I got a DD or D*D* in Business?I've met the GCSE requirements and everything its just this little concern, I have emailed them but they keep saying I should consider giving in an application but I cant as I'm still in the first year of Sixth form and haven't got a specific prediction grade. I am, however, predicted an D*D* in Business and a B1 in Psychology (I'm going for an A if not then a B)
Do you think the BTEC I'm doing will also limit my chance of getting an offer at Manchester University if I study Psychology, as its a competitive course?

Also is Manchester a really good university? How are the people like and the place? Manchester has honestly been my favourite university and have dreamed of going there so I will push myself to get the possible grades to get into it.

Thank you so much
(edited 8 years ago)
I can't be much help. I would say email them but you already have. Does it say on the website it accepts btec. If so then you should be fine. It may put you at a disadvantage but as your doing an alevel as well it shouldn't. As for the grade, im not 100%. A B might be fine. Maybe aim for an A? I don't really know though.

My apologies for not being much help.
Original post by Kholmes1
I can't be much help. I would say email them but you already have. Does it say on the website it accepts btec. If so then you should be fine. It may put you at a disadvantage but as your doing an alevel as well it shouldn't. As for the grade, im not 100%. A B might be fine. Maybe aim for an A? I don't really know though.

My apologies for not being much help.

On the website it says "AAB" and they do accept BTECs as I've emailed them about it and they said:

"The BTEC grades don't quite match up to Alevels so D*D* is equivalent to AA. If you meet our entry requirements based on your predicted grades you would get an offer of D*D* at BTEC and a B at Alevel.
Taking a BTEC will not hinder your chance of getting a place on the course, we accept people who take BTECs instead of/as well as Alevels and treat them equally."

Along with:

"We would still be able to make you an offer with a predicted grade of B (but the offer would be for an A.) so you won’t be disadvantaged in any way."

So Im confused?
Original post by LemonadeAspire
On the website it says "AAB" and they do accept BTECs as I've emailed them about it and they said:

"The BTEC grades don't quite match up to Alevels so D*D* is equivalent to AA. If you meet our entry requirements based on your predicted grades you would get an offer of D*D* at BTEC and a B at Alevel.
Taking a BTEC will not hinder your chance of getting a place on the course, we accept people who take BTECs instead of/as well as Alevels and treat them equally."

Along with:

"We would still be able to make you an offer with a predicted grade of B (but the offer would be for an A.) so you won’t be disadvantaged in any way."

So Im confused?

So basically you can apply with a BTEC, it's just the same as if you were doing 3 A-levels. The only thing to keep in mind is that with A-levels the highest grade is an A*. In BTECs, the highest grade is a D*, but the D* is not equivalent to the A* at A-level, it is equivalent to the A grade. So they normally give offers of AAB, meaning if they were going to give you an offer based on your application, they would expect a B in the A-level and AA in the BTEC, which is equivalent to D*D* in BTEC grading.

If your predicted grade is a B for Psychology then they'll expect an A in it (if they give you an offer), but if it's an A, they'll only expect a B. I think that's what they're suggesting? But the offers they give are different dependent upon the individual
Original post by rileystringer1
So basically you can apply with a BTEC, it's just the same as if you were doing 3 A-levels. The only thing to keep in mind is that with A-levels the highest grade is an A*. In BTECs, the highest grade is a D*, but the D* is not equivalent to the A* at A-level, it is equivalent to the A grade. So they normally give offers of AAB, meaning if they were going to give you an offer based on your application, they would expect a B in the A-level and AA in the BTEC, which is equivalent to D*D* in BTEC grading.

If your predicted grade is a B for Psychology then they'll expect an A in it (if they give you an offer), but if it's an A, they'll only expect a B. I think that's what they're suggesting? But the offers they give are different dependent upon the individual

I understand now! I emailed them saying my predicted was a B and they said that my offer would be D*D* and B at A level but I'll aim and get an A in Psychology just so I don't put myself at a disadvantage! Plus it will make my application look better! Thank you for the help though :smile:
I understand now! I emailed them saying my predicted was a B and they said that my offer would be D*D* and B at A level but I'll aim and get an A in Psychology just so I don't put myself at a disadvantage! Plus it will make my application look better! Thank you for the help though :smile:

Well if they gave you an offer of D*D*BM then getting a B instead of an A wouldn't put you at a disadvantage :wink: But sure if you can get an A that's great, it means that if you get like D*D or DD in the BTEC, they may be lenient and still let you in if you get an A instead of a B.

How come you have your predicted grade already if you haven't got your AS grades? I don't get the new system
Well if they gave you an offer of D*D*BM then getting a B instead of an A wouldn't put you at a disadvantage :wink: But sure if you can get an A that's great, it means that if you get like D*D or DD in the BTEC, they may be lenient and still let you in if you get an A instead of a B.

How come you have your predicted grade already if you haven't got your AS grades? I don't get the new system

We've done about 3 mock papers and when I got my record card sent home it said I was predicted a B1 (high B, near to A3) however I have to wait till easter until I get the REAL predicted grade as the mock will test me on everything I've learnt in AS. The new system is confusing and harder because I have to rely hard on my memory! We take the AS exam however it doesn't count as anything (only a few %) until Year 13 thats when I take both AS and the A2 together so I'm going to have a lot of content to remember as the things I'll learn in AS might disappear quickly. :frown: Wish me luck!!
We've done about 3 mock papers and when I got my record card sent home it said I was predicted a B1 (high B, near to A3) however I have to wait till easter until I get the REAL predicted grade as the mock will test me on everything I've learnt in AS. The new system is confusing and harder because I have to rely hard on my memory! We take the AS exam however it doesn't count as anything (only a few %) until Year 13 thats when I take both AS and the A2 together so I'm going to have a lot of content to remember as the things I'll learn in AS might disappear quickly. :frown: Wish me luck!!

Just make sure to continually revise your AS content through your "A2 year" :smile: Look on the bright side.. you only have one results day to stress about, and you get to work on your skills for 2 whole years before sitting any real exams. It's like fast tracking A-levels but getting 2 years to do so
Just make sure to continually revise your AS content through your "A2 year" :smile: Look on the bright side.. you only have one results day to stress about, and you get to work on your skills for 2 whole years before sitting any real exams. It's like fast tracking A-levels but getting 2 years to do so

Hahah I know, but I'm still going to stress about the AS (that doesn't count as anything) this year because I heard if you don't get the pass grade then you can't go onto A2. I'll try my hardest though :smile: Thank you so much for your help though!

Quick Reply

Latest