volunteering abroad? Watch

TheConfusedMedic
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
for medicine, is it really necessary to do some volunteer work abroad during the summer to stand out? lots of people in my year are going abroad as they keep saying that 'it will look great on my personal statement' but I was just planning on volunteering locally? going abroad just seems really expensive for such a short period of time but now I'm worried that I'll look bad compared to the other people in my school etc :/
TheConfusedMedic
Rep:
?
don't know why I posted this in the GCSE forum
yourJeremyL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey there! It is true that volunteering abroad is waaaay to pricey. I don't need to have an experience to say that. Just imagine the expenses. if I would volunteer abroad, I would stay there for at least a year to make the flight expense worth it.

Maybe the reason why lots of people volunteer abroad is because the country they volunteer in experience more crisis or needs more charity work than your country? A third-world country, i guess?

What country are you in, btw? Here in UK?
yourJeremyL
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by surina16)
I'm worried that I'll look bad compared to the other people in my school etc :/
Trust me, you won't look bad to other people just because you want to do volunteering work locally.

Most probably, they are saying volunteering abroad will look good on their CV for interviewers or HRs are impressed with that. But that doesn't mean volunteering locally is any less impressive.

But if you have a chance, would you volunteer abroad?
TheConfusedMedic
Rep:
?
(Original post by yourJeremyL)
Hey there! It is true that volunteering abroad is waaaay to pricey. I don't need to have an experience to say that. Just imagine the expenses. if I would volunteer abroad, I would stay there for at least a year to make the flight expense worth it.

Maybe the reason why lots of people volunteer abroad is because the country they volunteer in experience more crisis or needs more charity work than your country? A third-world country, i guess?

What country are you in, btw? Here in UK?
Exactly, and I would probably only be able to do 2 weeks as a maximum during 1 summer. Idk, the people in my school are going to places like Thailand and are building houses?
Yeah, here in England
TheConfusedMedic
Rep:
?
(Original post by yourJeremyL)
Trust me, you won't look bad to other people just because you want to do volunteering work locally.

Most probably, they are saying volunteering abroad will look good on their CV for interviewers or HRs are impressed with that. But that doesn't mean volunteering locally is any less impressive.

But if you have a chance, would you volunteer abroad?
Okay good haha that's nice to hear
If I did have the chance, I would like to volunteer abroad, not for the CV or anything but just because I imagine that it would be really rewarding and fun at the same time.
yourJeremyL
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by surina16)
Okay good haha that's nice to hear
If I did have the chance, I would like to volunteer abroad, not for the CV or anything but just because I imagine that it would be really rewarding and fun at the same time.
that is true! I haven't done any volunteering works, be it abroad, but I can imagine how it would feel and how fulfilling that would be!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
16.35%
The paper was reasonable (191)
51.21%
Not feeling great about that exam... (80)
21.45%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
10.99%

Watched Threads