The Student Room Group

I really hate my course what should I do?

okay let me start from the start
at school iv'e always been the kinda sciency kinda arty kind of student loving different aspects of both but leaning more towards art. I never had an idea of what career I wanted or what course I wanted to study at the time. My parents suggested architecture and it seemed fair enough and logical so I didn't bother doing much research into what else was available out there (a big mistake)
although if given all the options in the world I knew I would have picked a more art based course like fine art, art and design, interior design etc but I had feeling my parents would say no and at that time I wasn't opinionated and confident enough to make them believe me so I let myself be influenced by them

I had already accepted my course which was on a differed entry i.e. I took a gap year. soon after I had applied the initial uncertainties started popping up: I spoke to art teacher about the possibility of transferring from architecture to an art degree without my parents knowing if the need came

through out may gap year I kept telling my mum that I was really very unsure about the course I had picked and if given the choice I would have picked art < I did this very 'shyly' as I was afraid of her response... she kept reassuring me that it will enjoy it once I start

from the very first week of my course I knew that I really really dislike it a lot!! but I decided to stay quiet and suck it up because I didn't want to be a quitter and disappoint my parents also I would feel really guilty about wasting their money

now I have just began my second sem (FIRST YEAR) and I absolutely cannot stand it... I keep crying and regretting I never want to get out of bed or eat and I feel sooooo guilty for wasting my parents money I really don't want to disappoint them I keep feeling like I should just suck it up but the thought of going into that studio one more time makes my physically want to throw up ive never not wanted to do something so much in my life (other than sports at school because of bullies :/)

I really want to do a different course but I am very scared at the idea of dropping out will I be making another mistake? what if I don't get accepted anywhere? the 15th jan ucas deadline is also gone so id have to contact the uni to see if I can apply. also withdrawing from course? the wasted tution fee accommodation fee living costs? its all very drastic

I am feeling really helpless lost and guilty and Idk how to confront my parents. also I'm really disappointed about being TWO years behind the people of year. cant help but feel like a failure. I know if I carry on with this degree I will barely pass because of my complete lack of motivation
I really feel like I should be doing a course I enjoy which is very definitely some form of art but I'm just scared. don't know what step to take :frown: HELP

p.s. my parents are amazing people and very understanding my dad always puts my happiness before everything and my mom is on the more practical side but that's ok as she does give the most logical advice. they never really force anything on I know they want what's best for me and love me..... ive just never confronted them about this issue confidently because of being afraid of disappointing them and wasting their efforts... I really wanted to complete this course at least for their sake since they sacrificed so much time and money on me..... its horrifying to just imagine having to keep up with this though ugh I really don't know what to do :frown:(((
(edited 8 years ago)
Firstly im sure ur not the only 1 that's felt this before!!Honestly, I think you should go with ur gut instinct if u cant stand it its not worth the stress, talk to ur parents I'm sure they only want the best for ya its worse telling them at the end that u failed cos u hated the course! if were u I wud maybe try doing some conversion course or apprenticeship??
(edited 8 years ago)
If you really hate the course that much and don't want to complete it then drop out or transfer onto a different course. Otherwise you're just going to end up wasting more years of student finance entitlement that you can't get back. You only get 1 grace year with student finance, so if you don't drop out this academic year you won't be able to start a new course from scratch fully funded.

Of course though don't rush into a new course until you're completely sure you want to study it and have fully researched into the course and content, and remember there is no shame in taking a gap a year or several gap years to thoroughly decide what it is you want. You don't want to make the same mistake again. Also remember that university is not the only option, as above there are also options like apprenticeships. You could talk to an academic advisor at uni to help get your head straight and decide what it is you want. But remember do not make any rash decisions.

Stop feeling guilty about wanting to drop out, **** happens and this happens to a lot of students.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
What do you hate about it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending