Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A Levels. I'm struggling massively. Advice needed Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I'm currently in Upper Sixth studying my A2 Levels and I am struggling massively. Before I begin, I'll give you a run down of my current situation. I've never been naturally academic (mediocre A/B student) so it came as quite a surprise to my family when I achieved 9A*s and an A at iGCSE. I then opted for Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics for AS. I didn't take AS particularly seriously and struggled bridging the gap between GCSE and AS, after all its a pretty different style of learning to GCSE! I got BBBC in my AS and dropped Chemistry. I'm retaking both economics papers from AS, C2 maths and F212 (Bio second paper) in a hope to get the grades I need for university. My offers are below:
    Birmingham- Policy Politics and Economics AAB
    Lancaster- PPE AAB
    Nottingham- Pol and Itl Relations AAB
    Loughborough- Economics and Politics. AAB

Here's where my problem lies. I am literally failing all my subjects at A2. My Economics tests often result in Ds and Es, C3 and C4 maths is much the same. The extra time I spend on Maths is pulling away time I should be spending revising for Biology tests and subsequently I'm failing those too! At the moment I have nothing to be happy about regarding school. My teachers don't seem to care when I get poor grades but I'm worried because I don't know how to fix this issue. It's all well and good saying "work harder" but inefficient work is just as useless as not working at all.I attend a private school so my parents are forking out silly amounts of money to keep me there and evidently want to see results.

Biology lessons are essentially useless and we often leave early- this means I have to spend time writing up notes outside of class to supplement my poor class notes. Maths lessons are spent doing exercises from the text book and I'm not gelling with my teacher at all. Economics is a tricky one and I'm not sure how to improve. Class time is spent on topics but little time is spent on nitty gritty exam technique.

I just need to some advice on how I can improve. I haven't had that "A" feeling all year. Any comments on how I can improve would be most appreciated.If you've got this far, I commend you!

Thanks guys!
    Usi

ReputationRep:
    Hi Usi,

Firstly I would like to say congratulations on the big success in your GCSE's and your hard working effort! I'm not that bright of a student you are (My other school was completely terrible and came out with average GCSE grades which is pathetic) but I can still help because I come from an amazing school (a new one I moved to) that is amazing at teaching! I'm studying Psychology and my Psychology teacher who has been an examiner for a couple of years now along with teaching us and others has said for science subjects its best to make revision grids! Make a table on Microsoft and summaries all your notes with A01 and A03 points of however Biology is laid out! For Maths, remember all important formulas off by heart keep repeating it over and over again until you know you've got it. A friend of mine who is taking Maths says its extremely easy once you learn all the formulas off by heart and the way its solved (Taking her comment and advice to share with you as it may help, hopefully?) Economics I can't help you with that as I don't have much information but I also know that mindmaps are amazing for Biology. Make a quick mindmap and redo that mind map over and over again until all the information is stuck with you so you can later recall the information off by heart! Its time consuming but worth it. It does't have to be neat, just do it on a scrap piece of paper until you know you've learnt it all!

I really hope this helped you, though I'm not that amazing at getting advice! I wish you the best of luck but I know you can do it!! You seem bright and will be successful don't keep thinking negative because all this anxiety will then pressure you into performing badly because you're giving yourself that mentality that you might fail or you're doing badly! Just push yourself and I promise you, you'll do amazing!

Sorry for the long paragraph

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LemonadeAspire)
    Hi Usi,

Firstly I would like to say congratulations on the big success in your GCSE's and your hard working effort! I'm not that bright of a student you are (My other school was completely terrible and came out with average GCSE grades which is pathetic) but I can still help because I come from an amazing school (a new one I moved to) that is amazing at teaching! I'm studying Psychology and my Psychology teacher who has been an examiner for a couple of years now along with teaching us and others has said for science subjects its best to make revision grids! Make a table on Microsoft and summaries all your notes with A01 and A03 points of however Biology is laid out! For Maths, remember all important formulas off by heart keep repeating it over and over again until you know you've got it. A friend of mine who is taking Maths says its extremely easy once you learn all the formulas off by heart and the way its solved (Taking her comment and advice to share with you as it may help, hopefully?) Economics I can't help you with that as I don't have much information but I also know that mindmaps are amazing for Biology. Make a quick mindmap and redo that mind map over and over again until all the information is stuck with you so you can later recall the information off by heart! Its time consuming but worth it. It does't have to be neat, just do it on a scrap piece of paper until you know you've learnt it all!

I really hope this helped you, though I'm not that amazing at getting advice! I wish you the best of luck but I know you can do it!! You seem bright and will be successful don't keep thinking negative because all this anxiety will then pressure you into performing badly because you're giving yourself that mentality that you might fail or you're doing badly! Just push yourself and I promise you, you'll do amazing!

Sorry for the long paragraph
    Thanks so much for the advice! I often feel like I'm the only one struggling but everybody finds it tough at some point- its all about pushing through. Thanks for the comment, its given me hope!
    All the best,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usi227)
    Thanks so much for the advice! I often feel like I'm the only one struggling but everybody finds it tough at some point- its all about pushing through. Thanks for the comment, its given me hope!
    All the best,
    A Levels are tough and I'm finding it hard to make time for revision and other stuff so I'm on the verge of stressing out and going insane I'm glad my comment helped you and gave you hope I'll be happy to help if you have any other concerns.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, don't worry about that, there are so many options. If you want to go to uni but aren't so sure about how well you'll do at the end of A2, consider a foundation year. Most universities offer it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.