Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Friend lied to me? Watch

Announcements

I've been friends with this girl for a few weeks now and we do get along a lot while we're at uni. I messaged her one night for a bit of a catch up. We had a small conversation going until she said she wanted to sleep and wished me good night, it was about 11pm. But she never went to sleep because she was still posting in the group chat until quite late, it was after midnight.

Could it be something I said? Is she not my friend? Am I overthinking things?

ReputationRep:
    #FirstWorldProblems

ok i probably phrased that badly

I mean could she really have pretended to go to sleep to not want to talk to me? I know she was actually tired because she does a late shift at work on weekdays until 9pm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been friends with this girl for a few weeks now and we do get along a lot while we're at uni. I messaged her one night for a bit of a catch up. We had a small conversation going until she said she wanted to sleep and wished me good night, it was about 11pm. But she never went to sleep because she was still posting in the group chat until quite late, it was after midnight.

Could it be something I said? Is she not my friend? Am I overthinking things?
    I think you're kind of overthinking this, sometimes the conversation dries up while you're talking but you don't want to be rude, she may have need to speak with one of her other friends urgently and don't want to make it seem like you were unimportant. You haven't been friends for that long, I wouldn't get too offended

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    ok i probably phrased that badly

I mean could she really have pretended to go to sleep to not want to talk to me? I know she was actually tired because she does a late shift at work on weekdays until 9pm
    She just didn't want to speak to you.

ReputationRep:
    Is she aware that you're in this group chat? I mean, if she was straight up lying about it to not speak to you then she's pretty dumb, imo. I'd say she probably either was being polite and wanted to end the conversation because she was running out of things to say (not to be rude) or perhaps she meant to sleep but got chatting in the group accidentally and didn't realise the time. It can easily happen. I wouldn't take it too seriously or personally myself unless it becomes a common occurrence.

ReputationRep:
    It is not always a bad thing, she might be playing the whole 'I have a life' card to make you think more highly of her, thus because she likes you she does not want you to know she has all this time to talk to you.

Sounds dumb, some people are very dumb.

But it's weird because at uni we could talk for ages and we get along quite well!

I only see her once a week so that's why I want to keep contact, but if she's acting weird like this via messages then I dunno

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.