Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am terrible at texting Watch

Announcements

When it comes to texting, I am the most awkward, dull and boring person you'll ever meet. I say things which people can't respond to so conversations die out fast. But this is something I can't help because that's just the way I text. But this causes me to have very few people talk to me. No one ever starts a conversation with me.

Now on the other hand, in real life, I'm always having a laugh, cracking jokes and being an outgoing person. My friends would talk to me then and they enjoy my company.

Just wondering if this is something I can change. How can I improve myself at texting? I've seen my friends have tons of chat windows open but that's because they're good at texting and so people want to talk to them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can change it, stop viewing it as just who you are and start viewing it as something you can change.

If you're boring over text then stop being boring over text. It's not exactly complicated, just talk how you would in person but instead with letters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Yes you can change it, stop viewing it as just who you are and start viewing it as something you can change.

If you're boring over text then stop being boring over text. It's not exactly complicated, just talk how you would in person but instead with letters.
    Basically, this.

Prsom.

(Original post by SophieSmall)

Talking to someone over text is not the same as talking to someone in real life. I'm more expressive in real life than I am over text. If I try to convey that same impression over text then it just feels like I'm trying too hard. I feel like I can get more out of a conversation if they are actually there in front of me. In all honesty I've never been good at texting; I'm forced to call my friends which isn't always convenient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Talking to someone over text is not the same as talking to someone in real life. I'm more expressive in real life than I am over text. If I try to convey that same impression over text then it just feels like I'm trying too hard. I feel like I can get more out of a conversation if they are actually there in front of me. In all honesty I've never been good at texting; I'm forced to call my friends which isn't always convenient.
    Well clearly from your OP you're not trying hard enough.

of course in person and on text are not exactly the same, but that doesn't mean in text you suddenly become a mute and don't know how to string together and interesting open ended conversation instead of one word answers and closed replies.

If you're going to complain about something then stop making excuses and do something about it. Or else why bother posting? You clearly already have a defeatist attitude and think this is out of your hands.

ReputationRep:
    When it comes to texting, I am the most awkward, dull and boring person you'll ever meet. I say things which people can't respond to so conversations die out fast. But this is something I can't help because that's just the way I text. But this causes me to have very few people talk to me. No one ever starts a conversation with me.

Now on the other hand, in real life, I'm always having a laugh, cracking jokes and being an outgoing person. My friends would talk to me then and they enjoy my company.

Just wondering if this is something I can change. How can I improve myself at texting? I've seen my friends have tons of chat windows open but that's because they're good at texting and so people want to talk to them.
    I am really bad at texting/and online conversations with people i actually know.

ReputationRep:

I don't think this is necessarily a bad way to be. I think there's far more people who are good at online conversations but aren't when you speak to them face to face, and I think that's more of a predicament. From what you've said, I wonder, what is it that bothers you about this exactly? Is it just that you feel as though people don't want to talk to you or do you actually want to have more online conversations?
    Instead of trying to force yourself to change, use technology to suit you. See if people want to Skype, talk over the phone, or talk over Xbox live/PS4 equivalent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Give us an example of a text you replied to?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.